UK Football a Case for Sticking with a Coach

UK Football- never respected and not with the history of Arkansas has had trouble for years with some exciting years with the Air Raid offense and then the lows of NCAA sanctions follow Hal Mummie (sp) Ark even has a significant 7 Overtime game with UK in those years - but UK has had troubles and Ark appears to be stumbling along like UK did

Right now UK is 4-0 and ranked

Coach Mark Stoops took over a troubled program in 2013

2013 his Wildcats went 2-10 and was 0-8 in SEC play
2014: 5-7 overall and 2-6 Conf
2015: 5-7 overall and 2-6 in Conf (This was a hard year)
2016: 7-7 overall and 4-4 in Conf Play break thru year
2017: 7-6 overall and 4-4 Conf (No idea why the one game difference )
2-18: 4 -0 over all and 2-0 Conf to-date

Maybe Dudley would know the UK recruiting ranking in that time frame and if that gives some insight into UK success

Over all it is important to give Coach Morris time

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/co … mer-1.html

Frank Beamer was 24-40 after his first 6 yrs!including 2-8 in yr 6! and they stuck with him when it totally looked like he was a horrible hire…that will never happen today with all these herky jerky hires where they hire a guy after 1 good yr ridiculous!

Patience is not going to happen around here. We had people who wanted Morris gone before he coached his first game. Some of those, I suspect, are platinum level donors. It will take a strong AD to ignore those drumbeats and give a coach enough time to do what Stoops is doing in Jellycat country. Stoops got that much time, frankly, because football is second fiddle in Lexington.

I agree with Jeff. Patience isn’t exactly a Razorback fan virtue. However, Stoops showed improvement each year. Well, 2 years were essentially the same record, but they still were better than he started with.

Morris took over a program that has been bad from 2012 through 2017–6 seasons of bad football. The 2014 & 2015 years weren’t terrible, but they weren’t great & they were followed by a terrible 2016 finish & a terrible 2017. It’s tough coming behind those kinds of years & expect immediate improvement.

If CCM can get us to a .500 record next year (maybe even 5-7 if we’re reasonably competitive in our losses), I’ll feel good about the future. I hate to hang much hope on recruiting classes, but right now that’s what I’m looking at. A highly-thought-of recruiting class. If we can sign a top 20 class this year & another next year, I think we’ll be fine. I don’t think this staff is ignorant about how to coach. All coaches know X’s & O’s. It’s getting the players. (And it’s also important for the team to have a certain level of discipline. Coaches, too. I’m now hearing a lot more about problems CBB had off the field than I heard back when he was here.)

Nebraska seems to have the same issue with head football coaches. They are in the weakest division of the Big Ten and still searching for the return of the glory days.

You are “youdaman” - I agree

He has the recruiting contacts in texas and one of the great things about the North Texas game is that there will be NO mercy because he is from texas - he will have to fight his way to respectability

I’m behind him

but I am concerned

Coach Morris appears top be working with players who are fragile - what would coach Matthews do?

Lordy - I fear Coach Matthews woulds go to jail for his techniques today -

You are just now hearing about Bielema’s drinking problems? I take it you must have blocked me for awhile :sunglasses:

I think people knew - I heard about it from Big Ten fans - Not to smear him - but the ETOH problems were out there along with other things

It does appear - like with many men - Marriage - appears to have helped Coach Bret alot - with that I wish him well

I really wished it had worked at Arkansas - I wasn’t a fan of his hire - but he won me over - Now we are back at ground zero

I’m in the tank for Coach Morris - coach Bret is old news and now the present and future really matter - Hoping we dont become Kansas Football

I’d heard rumors about him having a drinking problem, but that’s not what I’m referring to. Regardless, I always take message board posts with a certain grain of salt, especially if I know the poster is predisposed to derogate someone. I wouldn’t trust anything elmo says about Chad Morris, even if it eventually turns out to be true.

He had even more problems than his affinity for Titos? Oh boy

The first time I heard about Bielema and a drinking problem was September 2018. I am absolutely serious. Yes I had (and have) some people blocked, but not even a quoted reply which would get around my blocks

[quote=“Neastarkie”]

I’d heard rumors about him having a drinking problem, but that’s not what I’m referring to. Regardless, I always take message board posts with a certain grain of salt, especially if I know the poster is predisposed to derogate someone. I wouldn’t trust anything elmo says about Chad Morris, even if it eventually turns out to be true.

[/quote]I think that some of us tend to bristle at what appears to be a poster’s over-riding need to be right that often leads to very strong opinions against anyone who fails to jump on the train they are driving, often attacking or assuming they know your opinion. Right or wrong, I was ok with Bielema until the decision makers made a change. Was pretty much the same with Nutt, even though I was never that impressed with him. We as fans have the easy part, kind of like the fans in gladiator days, we can give the thumbs up or thumbs down and other than dealing with the results on the field, we don’t usually have to deal with all the other consequences.

Another example of being patient was Bill McCarthy at Colorado

It’s McCartney, but you’re right. It took CU four years under him to have a winning record, seven years to win eight games, then years 8-9 were 11 wins with a co-NC.