UA chancellor named

My own personal opinion is that being a land grant school and having selective admissions are not mutually exclusive. And the funny thing is, when we made it a little tougher to get in, a lot more kids started applying.

Eleven of the Big Ten schools are land-grant, and I believe all of them are pretty selective in admissions and ranked above UA in most if not all of the college rankings. (The ones that aren’t are Michigan, Iowa and Northwestern). Although most of the LG schools are state-supported, that’s not mandatory; Rutgers was a land-grant school before it became a state school, and Yale was the original land grant school for Connecticut.

I’ve heard he has spent time in the delta doing speaking engagements and recruiting. As it is, we get few students from that part of the world.

I didn’t say those with an 18 ACT and 2.5 GPA, I said those that qualify. I guess I should have said those that meet the norm of our freshman attendees each year. I think he wishes to provide more financial help for those who meet these qualifications and wish to attend.

Yeah, I got you; that was directed more at those who think we should let in any instate kid with a diploma and a pulse, and the diploma is optional.

Don’t expect that UofA will deviate from primarily providing the best & most affordable education possible for the in-state grads who qualify & want to attend UofA followed by attracting & enrolling out-of-staters who are high academic achievers

Seems that UofA, NWA, & the Waltons/other employers are doing all that they can to upgrade UofA with facilities, R&D, & research grants that will benefit NWA & the State of Arkansas while consolidating their HQs (Walmart & Tyson) in NWA. Despite reluctance to see rapid growth in NWA, much of that growth & related industry will hopefully keep more UofA grads & high tech industries in-state.

I agree. The qualifying standards, in and out of state, may be tweaked somewhat but I don’t expect major changes. I don’t think we’ll ever get to the point where there are so many kids wanting to get in that we require killer grades and test scores and essays and extracurricular activities like the Harvards and Stanfords of the world do.

There is huge shortfall of quality education options in TX, 30 million population, mass influx of out-of-staters to TX, & UofA proximity, so expect a growing number of UofA applicants at least over the next two decades. Furthermore there is a large & growing UofA alumni base in TX with their offspring now making UofA their college of choice.

Expect that UofA will need to greatly tighten its out of state entrance requirements & turn away strong high academic achievers or otherwise grow the enrollment. UofA BOT will be making some tough choices.

More students mean more alums who become donors and send their kids there in 25 years or so. Likely to require some infrastructure investments, but IMO that’s the best way to ensure the future health of the university. As long as they’re not turning away qualified in-state kids to take the Planoites and Houstonians, I don’t have a problem.

2 Likes

Cornell is a private land grant university (and Ivy League). The State of New York contracts with Cornell to provide tuition reductions to New York residents in some but not all colleges/departments within Cornell. Cornell is the only Ivy League school with an agriculture college.

1 Like

Looks like the Walton’s can pick their guy now for the research facility.

Sounds correct. I used to work for a doctor who grew up in NYC and attended Cornell, and I think he benefitted from that price break (his family was not particularly well off IIRC).

MIT and Tuskegee are other private land grant schools.

From what I read, Yale created an agri branch, but farmers in Connecticut didn’t feel they were getting enough benefit from that, and convinced the legislature to create a state agri school and take the land grant designation away from Yale. We now know that agri school as UConn.

Was English stepping down due to Robinson’s selection or pressure from the Waltons? Understood the reason for the Waltons’ preference for Reed over Robinson was his technical background & his opportunities to promote UofA’s & Waltons’ R&D initiatives.

Since Walton’s are funding big $ in the massive Institute for Innovative & Integrative Research facility & programs at UofA, assume they feel entitled to offer significant input in its direction, operation, & leadership.

I suspect they wish to name someone else, but that’s just speculation on my part.

I could see them cutting a deal with the Waltons: You let us hire Robinson, we’ll let you replace English with someone of your liking. But that’s also purely speculation.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.