UA chancellor named

5 Likes

From what little I know, seems to be a good choice. And he’s been doing the job for a while now.

More details:

https://chancellor.uark.edu/chancellor-search/

1 Like

Progress occurs in stages and over long time horizons. I have attended and graduated from the Fayetteville campus. I saw a President come to watch classic football game in 1969 in the 100 year anniversary of college football. A couple years later we had our first black football and basketball players. Then twenty years later, we had a great basketball coach who was friends with our only President from Arkansas. Today we continue down that path . I do not know the new Chancellor but I have read positive things about him and he is in great position to lead the university forward into the next fifty years.

7 Likes

Congratulations to Chancellor Robinson!

According to most who know him or who have worked with him in the past, he is well qualified & a great choice for UofA. Wish him & UofA under his leadership great success! .

2 Likes

Yes, he was preferred by friends who are much closer to UA happenings than me.

Huge news. Guess the 5-5 stalemate was broken.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. He seemed to be the preferred choice of most all I know who are around campus.

1 Like

Folks with billions don’t lose very often, but glad they did today.

6 Likes

Apparently the unanimous vote today by the Board of Trustees was per recognizing a vote by students & faculty on Friday would be overwhelmingly in favor of Robinson. Have not heard or read about the Walton family objections & their reasons for opposing his selection.

1 Like

One of the Walton grandsons wrote an op-ed in the DemGaz a week or so ago extolling the other guy’s virtues. Didn’t disparage Robinson, but he talked about the other guy’s science background. I’m sure both would have done fine, but it was clear to me Robinson is highly regarded all over the UA. Seems to me it was the right decision. The fact that he’s African-American makes it better still. The UA has never had a minority chancellor that I know of and it’s high time we did.

4 Likes

I clicked through the complete list of Fayetteville campus chancellors (the first one was named the year I graduated). All were Caucasian males. At some point (probably the next one) we’ll get a woman.

2 Likes

No preference whether the new Chancellor is black, white, or otherwise, or a man or a woman as long as UofA gets the best candidate available for the university. An overwhelming majority, including myself, believe that UofA hired the best Chancellor today.

4 Likes

Chancellor Robinson is being interview right now at halftime of the basketball game. Congratulations Chancellor.

1 Like

loved his coment that 26 years ago he was just hoping for tenure as an assistance history professor

2 Likes

I liked that too. Down to earth, not aloof like many are in his position. I can see why many were hoping he would become permanent in that position. I bet he and CSP hit it off really well.

I agree df. Hopefully, everyone realizes he was hired because of his qualifications, not because of the color of his skin.

1 Like

He’s the most qualified candidate who just happens to be black. Which is how it should be.

5 Likes

Any discussion yet about what are Chancellor Robinson’s goals & initiatives for the UofA? Improving academics is always high priority, but for the past couple of years the UofA has been on a holding pattern until a permanent chancellor was in place. No doubt UofA enrollment growth is a big challenge, whether UofA expands to accommodate growth or caps enrollment.

Assume HY & Chancellor Robinson have a good working relationship & understand the importance of UofA athletics to donor funding for academics & new campus facilities.

He told Brett Dolan last night he looked forward to advancing UA’s land grant mission, but that could mean just about anything.

1 Like

I think it means to make sure every Arkansas high school student who can qualify and wishes to attend, will get that opportunity. That, and make sure that the University and it’s initiatives and goals work to improve our state.

2 Likes