Two Unrelated Questions

Did Tim Horton leave on his own, or did BB choose not to hire him?

Would BB still be the Head Coach if Long had not been fired?

Bump. Anybody know?

I always heard CBB didn’t want him, but about a week ago I was speaking to a person who should know that Horton “got hired away.” That Bielema would have like to have kept him. Anyway, FWIW.

[quote=“Neastarkie”]
I always heard CBB didn’t want him, but about a week ago I was speaking to a person who should know that Horton “got hired away.” That Bielema would have like to have kept him. Anyway, FWIW.[/quote:zh7c2tqz]

I think Tim needed to prove himself on a national stage. If he wants to be a head coach, succeeding at Auburn should open doors that staying at Arkansas probably would not.

[quote=“Hogmodo”]

[quote=“Neastarkie”]
I always heard CBB didn’t want him, but about a week ago I was speaking to a person who should know that Horton “got hired away.” That Bielema would have like to have kept him. Anyway, FWIW.[/quote:fpmpgddn]

I think Tim needed to prove himself on a national stage. If he wants to be a head coach, succeeding at Auburn should open doors that staying at Arkansas probably would not.[/quote:fpmpgddn]

This kind of makes sense. If memory serves me, it was up in the air for a few days (longer?) if Tim would come back, then it was announced he was going to Auburn (I think, I know that is where he is now, pretty sure there wasn’t a stop in between). It wasn’t clear at the time what went down. A few days later we hire Lunney Jr.

So it makes sense that BB wanted him to stay but he left. Frankly, I had always assumed BB let him go. I think I was wrong.

[quote=“StillGregHog”]

[quote=“Hogmodo”]

[quote=“Neastarkie”]
I always heard CBB didn’t want him, but about a week ago I was speaking to a person who should know that Horton “got hired away.” That Bielema would have like to have kept him. Anyway, FWIW.[/quote:idkygj7l]

I think Tim needed to prove himself on a national stage. If he wants to be a head coach, succeeding at Auburn should open doors that staying at Arkansas probably would not.[/quote:idkygj7l]

This kind of makes sense. If memory serves me, it was up in the air for a few days (longer?) if Tim would come back, then it was announced he was going to Auburn (I think, I know that is where he is now, pretty sure there wasn’t a stop in between). It wasn’t clear at the time what went down. A few days later we hire Lunney Jr.

So it makes sense that BB wanted him to stay but he left. Frankly, I had always assumed BB let him go. I think I was wrong.[/quote:idkygj7l]
I think a lot of people assumed that, and it may have been true. I don’t know. That’s the problem a lot of times when we’re not on the “inside.” There may be times that even the “insiders” on this board may not have the entire scoop on such a situation (not saying that’s the case in this situation). It leads fans to figure out on their own what happened, and it’s easy to form wrong opinions.

I am absolutely certain that Coach Horton wanted to stay, but the process left him hanging out there and in the end when it came to fish or cut bait, he decided to go with Auburn.

The decision not to “retain” Coach Horton was not received well by his supporters and caused am issue with some old guard.

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]
I am absolutely certain that Coach Horton wanted to stay, but the process left him hanging out there and in the end when it came to fish or cut bait, he decided to go with Auburn.

The decision not to “retain” Coach Horton was not received well by his supporters and caused am issue with some old guard.[/quote:39raylwx]

Well, that makes sense. (To repeat myself from above, but coming to the opposite conclusion).

If memory serves me correctly, I was told at the time that a lot of this affair was tied to the fact that Jeff Long wanted those associated with the old guard out.

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]

The decision not to “retain” Coach Horton was not received well by his supporters and caused am issue with some old guard.[/quote:1rzbe82w]

Same folks floating his name as HC this time around wanted him to get stronger consideration for something besides a position coach. That’s the story I’ve been told that seems to jive with Dudley’s words, anyway. He certainly did not like the idea of not knowing exactly what he’d be doing and wanted a “sure thing.”

He needed to leave for his career’s trajectory, as a stay at UA might have destined him to always being the low-rung assistant.