Tropical Storm ETA and Florida game

Right now, the projected path of the storm takes it to north Florida or southern Georgia at game time on Saturday. I am wondering whether the threat is enough to cause them to want to move the game to Fayetteville. Anyone have insight into this?

That would be poetic justice for sure.

The National Hurricane Center’s cone of uncertainty is still a large area. I think it will be another couple of days before there is a better feel for where the storm will come on shore and how it might impact the game. I would think it might have the potential to affect Arkansas’ Friday travel plans more than the Saturday game.

It seems like the storms that have made landfall in the Gulf this year have drifted more toward the western edge of the early cone projections. If that’s the case, this storm would come on shore somewhere in the panhandle, quite a distance from Gainesville and early in the day.

My weather app shows it clear Saturday night at game time, wind at 5 and temps at 60. In other words, storm past and to the west by then.

That would be some great news!!

As I suspected, the newest track has this storm moving farther west. Other than the rain that will fall this week, it doesn’t look like this storm is going to affect the game.

Weather Channel says 10% chance of rain in Gainesville on Saturday. NWS says 20%. Either way not much.

Yes, moving fast now, so while it is dumping heavy rain on me this morning in Lakewood Ranch (near Sarasota), it will be clear of Gainesville by game time. The issue with storms and games is that the game traffic can impede first responders’ ability to respond in an emergency. I don’t think there is serious risk of that happening given the current forecast. I’m more worried about what happens when the latest COVID test results come back for the Hogs.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/114331.shtml?cone#contents

Looks like it will far off shore by Saturday night.

1 Like

From the weather channel

If accurate, a non-issue.

Quite a bit of rain expected Thursday and into Friday according to NWS. Could slow things down some although most fields drain pretty well. Still a 20 percent chance of rain on Saturday too.

Lol, if we worried about every game with a 20% chance of rain, we wouldn’t play any of them.

1 Like

I’m not talking cancellation I’m talking sloppy conditions with more rain on an already-wet field. I don’t think Florida has a tarp for the Swamp, but I could be wrong,

I would imagine the “Swamp” has internal drainage just as RRS does. The NWS in Gainesville has around an 1” rain on Thursday, maybe the same on Friday.

Well, they do call it the Swamp for a reason. If you get to Gainesville, check out Lake Alice on the campus. I think that is where they get their linebackers.

If anyone knew the best answer on their field drainage system I’d say that would be our QB

I live in Gainesville about 5 miles from the stadium, and the storm passed through last night. Good bit of rain, but overall it wasn’t nearly what I expected wind or rain wise. Game on!!

2 Likes

this board is such a family. If you put us all together, we know quite a bit of stuff. Like a local weather report for the upcoming game. I occasionally toss random travel questions to the board, and I always get great recommendations.

GHG

1 Like

After all the east, west, east movement, now the forecast is for clear skies, low chance of rain, low winds. Perfect. Now, just see how wet the field is.