Track signee leads the nation

That’s rare air for a long jumper. They will get some big time points out of that kind of a jump.

Wow, I remember when 26 feet was gold medal territory.

Is the track team member with blades still with the team? If so, how is he doing?

I saw him running anchor on the 4x400 relay team at the SEC indoors last weekend. Don’t know if he ran any other races though.

Hunter Woodhall is still with the team. He was the individual who represented Arkansas for the Shriners Hospital for Children during the baseball event in Houston. He is a junior this year. His linked bio notes that he won All American honors last year.

Woodhall won his prelim in the 400 meters but didn’t qualify for the finals at the SEC meet. He ran a strong split - 46.04 seconds - in the anchor on the mile relay.

I know the coaches are really excited about getting Jonathan Baker on campus. To give some perspective on his jump, 26-2 3/4 would have placed third at the SEC meet this year. Arkansas’ Laquan Nairn was second in the long jump at the SEC meet with a jump of 26-3 3/4.

And this kid is just a senior in high school, right?

Yes he is.

That jump would be 2nd nationally all-time for a high school student in a high school meet. The record is 26’ 5", in a CA state meet in 1989. There was another H.S. student, who, a month after graduating, jumped 26’ 10" at the USA outdoor track and field championships. That was Marquis Goodwin, who competed in the Olympics, played WR for the “ugh” Longhorns, and is currently playing WR for the 49ers.

Baker has a great chance of making the Olympics in 2024, after winning multiple long jump championships at Arkansas.

Yeah, you are dating yourself. For a long time now, it is a jump over 27 feet that takes the gold. The last gold medal was won by our own Arkansan from North Little Rock, Jeff Henderson with 27 feet 6 inches. The world record is sitting at 29 feet 4 1/4 inches by Mike Powell.

But this is an awesome jump for a high schooler. Hope he seeks a track and field career to keep the Long Jump gold with USA in the 2024 Olympics.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.