Today's Vanover story in the newspaper

People are probably interested in what he said at the bottom of the story.

Little Rock native and California transfer Connor Vanover will be coming home to finish out his college career after he announcing plans to transfer to the University of Arkansas on Wednesday morning.

Vanover, 7-3, 225 pounds, officially visited Arkansas Thursday through Saturday of last week after visiting Vanderbilt earlier in the week. He also considered staying at California.

Coach Eric Musselman was a major part of his decsion to be a Razorback.

“I think the biggest thing it’s always about coaching and fitting into the right system, but also player development,” Vanover said. “I feel like being with coach Musselman, his personality, he’s very passionate about his players and basketball and he always wants his players to be the best they can be. Those are things for success, so that can really help me in my player development.”

He played at Baptist Prep for three seasons and recorded more than 1,000 points, 700 rebounds and 300 blocks with the Eagles before attending Findlay Prep in Nevada as a senior.

Vanover signed with the Bears in 2018 and averaged 6.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in 16.4 minutes as a freshman. He finished the season strong by averaging 12.8 points and 2.4 block shots while shooting 50% from the field and 41% from beyond the three-point line in the final five games.

He told Musselman he wanted to be a Hog while watching the Arkansas-LSU baseball game on Friday night of his visit with his family.

“The first day was amazing and they showed me a lot of really great things and we said ‘Well if they keep this up this might be the place’,” Vanover said. “They blew us away again on the second day. We went back to our hotel room before the baseball game and we were like ‘Yeah, this is like clear cut best place to go to.’ So we told him (Musselman) at the baseball game.”

His family has strong ties to Arkansas. His mother, Robyn, played basketball for Arkansas and was a three-year letterman from 1987-89 while his uncle, Terry Irwin, played football for the Hogs.

“Being able to come back home and being able to play where my mom played, it’s just a special thing,” Vanover said. “Our whole family is pretty excited. She’s very excited.”

He’ll be reunited with Razorback forward Reggie Chaney, who was his teammate at Findlay Prep. Musselman is expected to take advantage of Vanover’s versatility to score inside-out.

“He wants me to be very versatile,” Vanover said. “He wants me to help space the floor out so we can have five guys out on the perimeter at times. I can be inside. He wants me at the high post, be able to pass. Just do anything that needs to be done.”

Vanover, who plans to report to Fayetteville on May 28, enjoyed seeing the Razorback fans on Twitter embrace him coming home.

“I would say 95% of the people are excited,” Vanover said. “I think it’s pretty cool to have the hometown people getting back behind me because it felt kind of distant being far away, but seeing all the support form coming home is kind of amazing.”

He’ll have three years of eligibility left and will have to sit out next season unless granted a waiver by the NCAA. He should have a good case with his grandmother being ill.

“My grandma was moved to a nursing home this year so it’s been hard with her,” Vanover said.

With the grandma being sick (get will soon!) I bet he gets his waiver.

NCAA is a lot more player friendly than I thought. If you can get a waiver for an ill grandmother while your parents are still living, that is great. Certainly brings some respect from me for NCAA.

It will be a big plus to 2019-20 season if Connor gets this waiver.

I think his coach was fired too right PJHawg? If so, that is 2 reasons to present to the NCAA in his case to get the waiver.

Yes, and former Georgia head coach Mark Fox is now the head coach at Cal.

I didn’t think they allow waivers if the coach was fired, do they? Do they?

According to Tate Martell, just say they told you to transfer.