Today's OL

Four spots have been the same all week:

LT - Skipper
LG - Froholdt
C - Ragnow
RG - Raulerson

Colton Jackson and Jalen Merrick rotated at right tackle today.

Wrote this yesterday, but I still wouldn’t be surprised if they go with Rogers at RG and Raulerson at RT the first few games. Maybe not long term, but at least to start since it’s a safe group.

Thanks for your insights, Jimmy. I enjoy reading your posts.

Jimmy, I also really appreciate your posts. Really informative. Even better full articles!

One question though: if the group you list has been the group all week…with Raulerson at guard…why do you see them moving him back to tackle with Rogers sliding into guard as the likely group moving forward staring next week?

I totally understand testing out different groups. But having Raulerson at guard all week would seem to indicate that’s where he will stay. Maybe I am clueless though.

I think Saturday will give us a good indication of who will be in what role when the season begins.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. Those four have been starters all week, but Raulerson was at tackle early in the week while Merrick worked inside.

I think their safest group includes Zach Rogers. Rogers is going to play guard if he’s with the ones, while Raulerson can play guard or bump outside to tackle. So if they decide Merrick/Jackson/whoever aren’t ready to go week 1 or at TCU, the group with Rogers at guard and Raulerson at tackle seems like the likely bet. Rogers repping center this week was mainly so they don’t totally neglect the backup spot behind Ragnow leading up to the season.

I think they’ll try to go with Merrick and Jackson at tackle Saturday, maybe some Merrick at guard. If one of them is workable, they may roll with a lineup that includes him. This may be off, but Merrick seems the more likely of the two to earn a spot. If neither are up to the challenge, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rogers-Raulerson tandem on the right at least early in the season.

It’s amazing that Wallace has fallen off the face of the earth.

Thanks for the clarification, Jimmy!

And Porque, you are right. Though I will say it exemplifies what I’ve always believed…ratings for offensive line coming out of high school mean alot less than any other position. You just never know who is gonna get into the weight room and develop as they mature. Its not like skill players, who pop early on…

Thanks for the clarification, Jimmy!

And Porque, you are right. Though I will say it exemplifies what I’ve always believed…ratings for offensive line coming out of high school mean alot less than any other position. You just never know who is gonna get into the weight room and develop as they mature. Its not like skill players, who pop early on…

I will be more interested to see the OL group starting Monday. That’s when they are going to begin work against Louisiana Tech with the scout team work. That will be the lineup I think you will see for the first game. At this point, they have rotated and tried to look at different combinations to prepare for things that could happen during the season as far as injuries. And, they want to see what brings out the best chemistry. Colton Jackson has looked better at right tackle than he did on the left side. That was something that I wasn’t expecting. A light has come on after he got demoted and worked with the twos for a week. Jake Raulerson is probably better suited to play guard than tackle. He doesn’t have bulk or length. He was always undersized at Texas, in the 285 range. He’s at 305 now, but that’s still not the overall bulk that Jackson and Merritt possess. Zach Rogers still might be the guard. They wanted to get him a week of center. I think if something happens to Ragnow, Rogers would be first up at center, then Raulerson.

Everyone expected Brian Wallace to grab one of these OL positions. He hasn’t and that’s a surprise. They have given him the opportunity at LT, RG and RT. He is a guy who is massive and has good feet. But he makes mistakes and can’t hold up for 30-50 plays in a row in a hot scrimmage. So that has been the disappointment there. I don’t know if it’s stamina or conditioning. They challenged him to get that improved over the summer. It is to a point, but not the same as some of the others. His technique and blocking seems to be at its best at the start of a practice. But at some point, the mental fatigue hits and his technique slips and he’s not as consistent. I have noticed it and for sure Kurt Anderson has mentioned it.

Any word on the starting OLine this week?

you write very good articles!