To The Firing Fans...

Who is your replacement and what is he going to do differently than CBB has done?
Until these last five games he had turned a sinking ship into a program that was respected and considered an up and comer. What has happened in the last five games is hard to explain.
He has the respect of his players and their families. That is a huge deal. Parents want their kids to play for him.
I just want to know who you think would do better and exactly why. No speculation please. It is easy to say fire him, but if you can’t answer the “And then What?” question then you end up with another rebuild.
I try never to complain about something without offering a solution. I challenge everyone to do the same.

Easy answers:

1. 10-23 in SEC play since BB has been HC (are you seriously ok with that?)
  2. Since BB has been HC we are only better than Kentucky and Vandy in SEC play (they are both 9-24)

Are you seriously ok with that?

Mike Norvell. Dang dude, your challenge is weak.

I disagree that up until the last five games things were going well. To the contrary, I believe Bielema’s teams have underachieved each and every year. There have been numerous games where Arkansas performed poorly when they should have won: Rutgers, Toledo, Texas Tech, Missouri, etc. To me great coaches find ways to win a few they shouldn’t, good ones win the ones they are supposed to more often than not, and average to poor ones find ways to lose several even when they are better team. I think Bielema clearly falls in the latter category. Hell I know he does - the results speak for themselves.

Petrino is a jerk and he should have been fired, but he showed the blueprint for being successful here - at least more successful than what appears to be our worst coach since Jack Crowe (not counting Smiles). Again, not my opinion - merely stating the facts which are the results. That blueprint is to hire a top notch offensive coach with the ability to overcome the talent gap we will have in the trenches due to our recruiting base. We have to outscore people and to do so we need to be extremely well coached and dynamic on offense.

Phillip Montgomery, Chad Morris, Mike Norvell, Todd Monken, Jeff Brohm are some of the coaches I think would be significantly better at Arkansas than Bielema has been.

Answer the question. This is not an arguing post. Who replaces him?

Not nearly as weak as your answer. Why would he be better?

I thought I asked a reasonable two part question, if you fire CBB who replaces him and WHY?

I did not ask to repeat the same old gripes about CBB.

I appreciate that so far three have replied, but not one person has said why their guy(s) would be better and one didn’t even come up with a name. And one even decided to take a shot at me for what I thought was a pretty fair, reasonable and simple question. Clearly I was wrong.

At this point we can bring anyone in and get the same results we’re getting… That’s up to the search committee to find out who replaces him

Personally I think my answer was great - these guys will implement offensives philosophies that give Arkansas a better chance to win given our recruiting base.

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what I say though. Bret Bielema has been a severe disappointment at Arkansas. His SEC record at Arkansas is putrid and his overall record is sub .500

Today was the effective end of his tenure. Whether it is next week, next month, or January 1st he will not be retainedand we won’t have to argue about him anymore.

Why does this not surprise me that you think your answer was is great? I fail to see why you think the issue is offensive philosophy, when it appears to me that the most consistent deficiency has been defensively. Only one in five years has our defense even been close to effective. It is obvious we are struggling with offensive line development the past two years, but we still have put up fairly strong offensive stats.
I think the original question really centered around the fact that year in year out, the majority of the Sec has better talent than we possess, so which prospective coach is “certain” to change the talent level. Based on history, since Broyles, who has done that? In my following recruiting for over the last 30 plus years, Bret has recruited as well as any and better than some, with the possible exception of Hatfield, who had pretty good success recruiting, especially in Texas.

He is 8-8 in the last 16 games, his fourth and fifth years. At $4M/year, that’s over $500k per win. It’s really a silly question though because colleges don’t usually know who they are going to hire until they go through the process (so how would the fans know). There are likely some good coaches that would love a shot at the SEC with Arkansas’ facilities.

There are no certainties in life, but those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

10-23 in the SEC

0-5 against A&M

More rushing yards ever given up in an SEC game (2016 Auburn)

Biggest 2nd half collapses since the 70’s ( Mizzou Va Tech 2016)

The list goes on and on, but our history under Bielema is statistically among the worst of UA head coaches. This trend will continue if changes are not made. The coach who led us to our best finish since 1989 is an offensive savant. Learn from that history…identify the top up and coming offensive mind in country and get him. To your point defense, like so many other things under Bielema, has been poor and given our recruiting disadvantages to expect to ever field great defenses is unrealistic. We must put dynamic offenses on the field to have a chance to win at the same level we did under Petrino or at least get close to it which should be the goal.

[quote=“Hursthawg”]
Who is your replacement and what is he going to do differently than CBB has done?
Until these last five games he had turned a sinking ship into a program that was respected and considered an up and comer. What has happened in the last five games is hard to explain.
He has the respect of his players and their families. That is a huge deal. Parents want their kids to play for him.
I just want to know who you think would do better and exactly why. No speculation please. It is easy to say fire him, but if you can’t answer the “And then What?” question then you end up with another rebuild.
I try never to complain about something without offering a solution. I challenge everyone to do the same.[/qu

If BB can keep this group of players engaged and committed the season could still be a success. I say let it play out. I understand the frustration from the fan base, but no amount of bickering is going to change this seasons final record. Mike Norvell, might be an up and coming coach, but Justin Fuente, the current Va. Tech coach is the one responsible for the Memphis turnaround.

Agree on Memphis - Furnte’s rebuild job is best I’ve ever witnessed. Memphis was just absolutely awful before Fuente which makes Norvell tougher to evaluate. Another interesting name is Todd Monken who inherited a terrible situation at Southern Miss and in his third and final year there they were 9-3. Currently OC for Tampa Bay Bucs and former OC at Oklahoma State under Gundy.

The question was, “who do we get to replace Bielema and why will they be better”?

Very good question. I don’t know. There will be a lot of pipe dream coaches names getting thrown around by our fanbase. I don’t know that we can get a proven head coach. Bielema was a fantastic surprise when he was hired. I’m afraid we will have to take an up and comer and hope they can make it in the toughest division in football.

What do these schools all have in common when it comes to coaching hires? Florida, Georgia, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, Minnesota, South Carolina, Oregon, Texas A&M, and Auburn?

None of them hired a head coach from a Power 5 conference - all hired group of 5 “up and comer” head coaches or P5 assistant coaches. Of course they have had varying levels of success.

To expect Arkansas to do anything different is unrealistic in today’s CFB landscape.

Key is to hire the right one of course! :smiley:

Your history reference can be interpreted many ways, I could say that history shows us that the Hog history in replacing coaches is a short honeymoon leading to this same point.

Not surprised Petrino keeps popping up, but so be it. Just curious, was Petrino’s offense more pro-style? Bret’s pro style may be more ball control oriented, but with our pattern of weaker defenses, I would actually say a time of possession emphasis is actually a good coaching strategy. Better strategy would be to get some studs on defense, but that is not where we are today.

This was a good post Hursthawg. Who? As long as Sabin is coaching we are going to be limited to up and comers like Fuentes or Skip Holtz or Doreen. A defensive minded head coach would be better aka Patterson or Sabin . Why? One that uses a dual action quarterback. We can’t stop these but when we have one we run them off? What is the ole miss answer to beating alabama ? Patterson . How did the aggies beat them? Manzel.
I really like our coaches. However, I am tired of all talk and no results.

I’ll take the job for $2.5m. Just sayin’.

Not so sure were better than Kentucky at this point, as of this morning