Three Articles on Gus?

I love how some of the media around here is still carrying Gus’ water in this state. I know what’s coming next “He’s from Arkansas so it’s a story.” I don’t remember all of these stories about Coach Tuberville at one time. The biggest downside to this board change to me is the affiliation with the Arkansas Dem Gaz because we all know how much Wally wants to give love to everybody NOT with the UA.

The only thing I have seen on this new board in general that i did not like is Wally.

There was no Arkansas on the first day. Gus is on the hot seat.

You don’t like Wally and that’s fine, but to say he doesn’t like Arkansas is not even close to the truth.

One story was about the four arrested kids not being banned for any games. Not exactly flattering.

At doctor’s appointment can’t remember the 3rd.

Say what you want Richard but let’s compare here. 1 article on this board about Florida that was a by an AP writer. 3 articles on Gus that were all Arkansas writers. Florida has some suspended players as well but that was buried in the Gus article.

And what I said specifically was that “Wally wants to give love to everybody NOT with the UA.” That isn’t the same as saying Wally doesn’t like the UA. I don’t know if Wally personally likes or does not like the UA and I don’t care.

The story on Auburn by Tom Murphy is first in a series of SEC teams. Makes sense to run after the head coach appears on the first day.

The notes done my Tom and Bob Holt and started off with Auburn because they’re a SEC West team. If the note about Gus not suspending players was showing them love then I guess I missed it. Again not flattering.

RIGHT below that was Florida, an Eastern team and their suspended players. Don’t call that buried. There’s two other notes about Florida and one of Auburn.

The way I understand it - and yes I know he is the sport editor - but Wally doesn’t deal in the execution of the day-to-day coverage of the ADG.

Tom and Bob submit a budget (stories) they want to write and an assistant editor tells them of the space available.

So things are approved on a daily budget and space limitations.

I can assure you that Bob and Tom have no agendas with the exception of how they want to do the best work for customers.

That’s different from when I was sports editor of the smaller Northwest Arkansas Times and I made every decision.

I do know that people of Arkansas have far more interest in Coach Malzahn than they do Coach McElwain.

There is also far more interest in Coach Bielema than there is in Malzahn, but Arkansas was not on hand yesterday.

There are a lot of things in terms of daily execution of a newspaper that the public may not be privy to so it is logical there would be confusion and angst - especially if you don’t like a certain head coach.

The one thing I can assure you is the vast majority of legitimate journalists are objective, don’t care who wins or loses, don’t care who the head coach is, etc.

We just want to do good work and provide the readers with an informed opinion.

Wally is a poor writer, too often writing about himself. Okay, just my opinion; but I will never forget how he bashed Nolan Richardson during Nolan’s first year,
when Nolan’s daughter was dying of leukemia.

I simply grew tired of reading about & hearing about Gus somewhere around 2008 or 2009. As a result I rarely read any article about him. The weeks we play Auburn I’m more likely to. Other than that they might as well write about the coach at SW Oregon. Just my personal preference.

Will never tell you to like or dislike someone. I just have a problem when people see a bias that’s just not there.

I certainly can understand that, but it is not the norm according to the feedback we get.

Strangely - at least to me - people read more about people they don’t like than they do.

The fact that this is a subject on an Arkansas board seems to validate that.

If Gus_h was only half as smart as he thinks he is, he
would be a genius.

Does Wally frequent this board and does he post or reply in threads?

His focus is his column in the newspaper.

I do not believe that he posts anything here.

Obviously his column is posted out front

Not many of us like Wally Hall’s work. I thought I got rid of him and his opinions 15 years ago when I cancelled the ADG. Well now he is back into my life once again. I’ll live with it!

Oh I figure people want to read about him or there’d be no articles. It’s just that I’m not one of them. I noticed the heavy Gus stuff today and thought we’re having another round of Gus publicity–that I was happy to ignore. (I also got tired of reading about HDN & Mitch Mustain, but fortunately for me there’s not a lot about them these days.) I don’t really think it’s too inconsistent to ignore articles about him while reading a thread discussing the number of articles about him. Perhaps that’s a contradiction, but I don’t think so. Regardless, I’ll often click a thread on a subject I wouldn’t read an article about.

Dudley, my comment about the Malzahn coverage wasn’t a slight to any particular writer specifically. It has more to do with the ADG and it’s continued coverage disproportionate toward Malzahn. As you said, they may write several articles but the assistant editor decides what gets printed. In this case there were 3 articles on the guy.

I initially chose not to read any of them. I just saw the headlines. Then, after my first comment and before my second, I read the one about the players being reinstated and saw the blurb about the Florida player buried in the story. What is really ironic to me is how it continues even after Gus bailed on ASU after they did everything the could to improve things in for him in Jonesboro. Sure, I know Auburn is a bigger program than ASU but he didn’t exit in a very positive way.

The Demozette has never been “objective” about Gus - his role in the Springdale stud disaster, his time at ASU (his failure to dismiss Michael Dyer UNTIL the media found out about Dyer’s legal problems) , or his time at Auburn.

They act like they are scared to death of him. For that matter, most in the entire Arkansas media act like they are scared of him. The Alabama folks aren’t being as nice.

I posted earlier in this thread. I guess it was deleted? Not sure why. It was mostly complimentary of the new site.

I agree with you about the ADG coverage of Gus. It is pretty remarkable. And, I know a fair amount about the daily publication of a newspaper.

I’m not sure what appeared in the print editions, but if there were 3 articles, that drives the point home even more.

Gus gets and has gotten an inordinate amount of publicity in the ADG and has for years.

I love Bob Holt. I really do. But Bob loves him some Gus.

Now, having posted all that, I don’t rally care at this point. If people are paying objective attention, they see Gus for what he is at this point.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]

I posted earlier in this thread. I guess it was deleted? Not sure why. It was mostly complimentary of the new site.

I agree with you about the ADG coverage of Gus. It is pretty remarkable. And, I know a fair amount about the daily publication of a newspaper.

I’m not sure what appeared in the print editions, but if there were 3 articles, that drives the point home even more.

Gus gets and has gotten an inordinate amount of publicity in the ADG and has for years.

I love Bob Holt. I really do. But Bob loves him some Gus.

Now, having posted all that, I don’t rally care at this point. If people are paying objective attention, they see Gus for what he is at this point.
[/quote]

Last sentence says it all.

I expect all the SEC media attending SEC Media Days to write about the teams at SEC Media Days.

Does anyone else, not?