This question has to be asked

Why wasn’t Coach Pittman ever hired as a head coach long before now? He is 58. You would think a lot of schools would have looked at his recruiting prowess and personality, then hired him. Has he been a candidate for a head coach job in the past? It is a little odd that he never got a head job, but finally snagged one in the powerhouse SEC West. Maybe, all the factors just played out at the right time for him to finally get his chance.

I am excited for him. He seems to have a powerful personality and is a very likeable guy. I don’t even know him, but just looking at the video of he, his wife and Hunter…he is just so happy and ready to do this job. Good luck, big man.

And that’s a good question. Maybe the right job never came up and his was content to be an assistant until it did.
Maybe he decided late that he’d like to be a head coach.
Maybe he knows he’s ready to retire in the next few years and he’d like to “cash in” before doing so.

He always wanted the Arkansas head coaching job and was waiting for it to come open This man truly loves Arkansas and cares about this program I am so glad he is here

1 Like

Some people just never get the opportunity. He’s a line coach. Nowadays, it’s tough to become an HC without first being a coordinator.

there used to be the stigma that a "line coach"didn’t have the smarts to handle a defense or offense…their guys had 1 job…open the holes and protect…on defense…get the ball carrier.it was the other coaches who knew what all the parts were supposed to be doing on any play…thus…never given the opportunity to be an OC…

Very fair question but thinking/hoping he will figure it out.

Sam addressed the question in the press conference. He said he didn’t think he was ready to be a head coach until now, and he had had opportunities to become a coordinator before but didn’t pursue them. And he mentioned his offensive line coaching friends who are thrilled that one of them got an opportunity to become the boss, implying that most of them aren’t getting consideration either. There does seem to be a stereotype that offensive line coaches aren’t head coach material.

1 Like

Sam said today that he turned down SEC coordinator positions. I’m thinking he was making about as much as O-line coach as some of those coordinator spots.

Line coaches may be stereotyped but it’s a known fact Olinemen are generally the smartest players on the team. Has to be some reflection there.

Clay, what was Johnny Majors position here in the 60’s under Frank? I couldn’t find it? Was he ever a coordinator in collage, he left here to Iowa State as head coach

Coordinators were not a big thing in the 60s when Majors was here. I don’t recall JFB having any until the 70s.

I know Joe Gibbs was a running back coach here in 71-72 and Raymond Berry was here around same time it doesn’t look like they were coordinators in college, but Gibbs did after he got to pros an OC before he got HC at Washington, I couldn’t find anything on Berry other wr coach before he became head coach of New England for 3-4 years.

Johnny was the playcaller in 67. It was not a particularly good year for the offense. And frank convinced Iowa State to hire him. And that was when Frank went for Don Breaux.

1 Like

Sam has been around football all his life even though his specialty has been offensive line I can assure you he knows a good bit about all the positions. He has been around some great head coaches and is seen how they handle things. I don’t think it will be quite as big a transition as some of you. Sure there will be some things that he will get better at as time goes on but I have a feeling he will handle things ok.

Clay, that is one story I’ve always been curious about. I assume it was a way of gracefully getting rid of Johnny? They remained friends forever didn’t they?

Was it just his scheme? Was there any background with Breaux? Was Johnny aware he was “promoted” in that way?

It was whispered, probably enough that Johnny knew. He had such great love for Coach Broyles. Johnny had played single wing tailback, not quarterback. Frank made him QB coach and then had to teach him the mechanics of the direct snap. Johnny was always grateful for the way Coach Broyles groomed him to be a head coach.

Majors spoke to the LRTD club a few years back. He was awfully complimentary of Broyles during that talk. One of the things he said was that Frank was incredibly smart. Jackie Sherrill made that same observation about Broyles when he spoke to the LRTDC

A former now deceased Administrator always told me Frank was the best boss in the world. He was so good that when he fired you, he did it by finding you a new job.

I’ve heard more than once that Frank found head coaching jobs for people so he didn’t have to fire them. Majors may have been one of those,

I did some research. Broyles’ first coordinator was DC Jim Mackenzie in 1965, who then left to become HC at OU for a year before he died. We didn’t have another coordinator until Bo Rein was the OC in 1975. Our next DC was Monte Kiffin under Holtz.

Another possibility for that: Doug Dickey was an offensive assistant for Broyles from 57-63, so he was there when my dad was a player. Our offense wasn’t real great in '63 either. Doug left to become the head coach at Tennessee. A few years later, we were visiting family in east Tennessee and spent an afternoon at Oak Ridge where they developed the atomic bomb. Dad saw a familiar face in the Oak Ridge science museum that day: Doug Dickey. Can’t imagine a head football coach these days spending a summer afternoon wandering around a museum.

Dickey created some enduring traditions in his six years at Tennessee: The Power T on the helmet, the checkerboard end zones, and running through the T formed by the band, which JFB would later borrow for Arkansas. He also won two SEC titles. His last game at Tennessee was a bowl game against his alma mater, Florida (that happened occasionally in the old SEC), after which he took the Florida HC job. Returned later as the EOE-K AD for 18 years. I’d say if we pawned Dickey off on Tennessee, they were glad we did.

I heard JM recently speaking on local radio. He spoke about his HC job at Iowa St, and said essentially it was Broyles that got him the job, and how grateful he was for that. He went on to cite his success there as proof that FB’s intuition was correct about his ability to take on a top job at that point in his coaching career.