This is What it Looks Like!

A couple of weeks ago Clay was in a podcast talking about the sort of Oline Sam wants and was recruiting. I made a post about how that was music to my ears. I know PSU was short some defenders; however, the second half is what that looks like. You run it down their throat until they finally just say uncle because they realize there is nothing in this world they can do about it.

Briles tried his best in the 1st half to not win by doing all sorts of stupid, cute stuff. Looks to me like Sam told Kendal to quit all of that and play big boy, SEC football and to make them like it. There was not one cute play tried (thank God) in the 2nd half. I loved it.

6 Likes

I think you’re right!

2 Likes

Yes we went north south and ran right at them.OL came out with much more intensity had their pads down and Butts ready to drive block and KJ just cut off of their blocks it was a beautiful thing to see.

3 Likes

That is real football. Love it!

3 Likes

When you cap it off with a touchdown, after running run after run after run eating up six to eight minutes it demoralizes your opponent and that sick feeling of inevitability creeps into their psyche, it is as delicious as eating watermelon on a hot July day. Victory is sweet.

1 Like

They changed their read too on two plays. That helped, too. Pulled some linemen too.

I know you like Kendall and I’m sure he’s a fine person. I’ve made it a point to never make it about him as a person. I give him credit for the development of KJ this year. I would like to see more development on Malik next year. He just tries to get too darn cute for me at times. I was pretty frustrated in the first half with him. The second half was better. I did hear about the read changes you mentioned. That certainly helped.

2 Likes

This pretty much encapsulates my opinion of Briles. Smart guy who hasn’t quite reached an experience/maturity point yet where he won’t feel the need to show how “smart” he is with all of the trick plays. What is “smart” is to run the right “routine” plays that work and leverages your team’s advantages. That is what we saw in the second half yesterday, as opposed to the first half.

1 Like

He did waste one possession in the second half with 3 play that lost yardage on plays that have failed all
Year long. The second half was much better running the ball down Penn State’s throat! I just get tired of the east west play calling that ruins the flow.

2 Likes

So true, wizard. He is brilliant and aggressive but with more maturity his play calling on offense will be lethal. With the continuing development in our O-Line along with the added WR’s, RB’s and hopefully TE’s we will be a threat to get to 40 on many or maybe most games. The second half of our Bowl game we were a power-option running offense. Run first, second and probably third down. If they can’t stop it, you keep the ball away from them and physically overpower them. I imagine CSP loves it that way.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.