These type tweets get me

13 Likes

Yeah, I saw that this morning too. Part of having a pet unfortunately. Obviously took great care of his dog, 17 years is a long life for a dog.

4 Likes

He posted several pics of Pete in addition to that one tweet. Man, those got me.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s tough. I’ve been there. Best thing is to go get himself a puppy.

3 Likes

Paul loved Buddy so much. We had a lot of talks just about Buddy, Sam and Reuben and what dogs add to your life. Paul has an incredible heart but he can’t bring himself to get another dog yet.

Megan has always been the one to get another dog after we lost two. I couldn’t but I’m glad she did.

It’s really only one for Megan because I had Casey, a lhasa apso before we started dating. Casey was a very hot tempered boy. I called him the Dog from Hell because he had such an attitude. I even got a t-shirt for him with that on the shirt but I still loved him. We understood one another.

He HATED Megan. I guess because she was invading his territory. But anyway, I’m glad Megan decided to get another dog after Casey and Gateway passed. I can understand where Paul is coming from though.

4 Likes

My little 4 legged buddy is about 15 (got her when she was about 6). She’s healthy, but she’s getting old. I know the day is not far off. I dread it terribly.

4 Likes

To this day I am convinced that my wife only married me because she fell in love with my chocolate lab on our first date…a float on the King’s River. It went both ways as it was love at first sight for both. Bourbon stood behind her in the canoe with his front feet on her seat and his head on her shoulder nearly the entire trip. When we had to put him down at fifteen it broke her heart and she didn’t go to work for three days. We only had a cat then for about three years as she couldn’t bring herself to get another dog. A friend gave us another chocolate for Christmas 2015. The first thing she does everyday when she finishes work is lay on the couch with Clyde and snuggle. He waits for her to sign off of her computer as she works from home. I walk through the door every afternoon to catch Clyde laying on top of her with her arms around him.

5 Likes

That’s so awesome. I cherish everyday with Sam and Reuben. They’re such a blessing.

3 Likes

Mr. Bojangles is laying up against me as I type. Nothing like a loyal, loving dog. Nice stories posted here.

4 Likes

From my dad’s obit: “At times, Kermit was as close to the four-leggeds as he was with the two-leggeds of the world. His family is certain that he was met on the other side by countless horses, dogs, cats, and no telling what other creatures whose life on this earth was made better by Kermit.”

5 Likes

Sam sleeps between my legs while I work. Reuben stays upstairs with Megan while she works. He’s a momma’s boy.

5 Likes

Dammit, RD, you got me crying,lol. The best part of my day is seeing this face when I get home.

My great grandma made that tattered quilt Hudson is laying on…I can’t bring myself to throw it away. He’s always on it right over my right shoulder.

4 Likes

No better friend.

3 Likes

Our kids are pretty much grown (Jr’s in College) so our fur babies are full time. You love them so much because it’s unconditional…

3 Likes

I am sure some may have heard various versions of this story. I heard it one morning at breakfast in Pinedale, WY. There were 3 sure nuff cowboys sitting at the same bar as me. These were the real deal. You know when you see one.

Here were these tough guys talking about their dogs and how they sleep with them, go everywhere with them, etc. Blue heeler cow dogs and they were all 3 laying at their feet. One of them said you know who loves you most - your dog or your wife? To find out, lock them both in the trunk of a car for an hour. Then, open up the trunk and let them out. See which one is jumping all over and wagging its tail at you and which is all mad at you!

I spit coffee all over the bar. I told him you got a great point. Cowboy wisdom.

3 Likes

Our first dog was a beautiful Australian Shepard named Daisy. Our plan was to train her to bring in the steers and calfs when we practiced in our rodeo arena on the farm. That never panned out so well because I was not a good trainer. Daisy went everywhere with us. She attended many a rodeo, barrel racing event, loved the beach she was our baby. She helped raise our girls. When Daisy died our oldest daughter would pray before meals and always asked God to bless Daisy in doggy heaven. A few tears were shed typically by me and Suzi.

3 Likes

On a happier note, I got home Tuesday night from picking up Colt in Las Cruces, NM. He was happy to see me. He makes friends wherever he goes. Now that he has finished with field trials for a while, he is going on the dog show circuit. I got a message from his handler this morning. She was very pleased with him and her comment was “He is fun!”

I should start a fan club for him, because that is what happens when he meets new people. I did feel sorry (slightly) when I took him from his trainer in NM. The trainer’s 17 year old granddaughter had taken over Colt. She used to rotate dogs from the kennel into the house. But once Colt was there, he became the house dog and slept with her every night. She took time to be with him and tell him good-bye. Maybe she can find her next house dog when Colt’s puppies are born in about 2 months.

2 Likes

Made me smile, Marty.

1 Like

Speaking of dog show and competitions, I watched the Flyball CanAm Classic. That was wild and great fun. Tennis balls anyone?

Dammit RD…now I gotta go find an uplifting post in another thread after that….so sad to see but what a great life for those wonderful dogs!!!