There is an immediate fix for our punting problems

Ask Kevin Kelley: Don’t punt. Ever.

It’s probably going to take a situation like this, where a team just cannot execute the putting game at all, to get someone to try Kelley’s theory at the FBS level. But right now what do we have to lose? We can’t protect the punter and we can’t kick it when we do protect the punter.

i agree

Yep.

Not a fix. Kevin Kelly has a competent offense that creates much more favorable non-punt percentages. Arkansas’s offense sucks perhaps worse than the kicking game. The only higher percentage the offense creates is the chance for the other team winning the game. Better off kicking and hoping at least 7 of 9 punts work out ok and don’t get blocked or returned. Our defense is ok; let them defend the 7.

When we do punt…though it will cost us yards…punt the damn thing out of bounds. Though I am hopeful coverage will be better is the likes #11, #23, #10 etc are out there…

Kickoff coverage hasn’t been fixed yet. Another Kevin Kelley strategy: Onside kick, every time.

He has punted the ball well today a couple of 50 yders

Yes, punting today has been somewhat better. I’m not ready to go to a “never punt” strategy, but I’d go for it more often than we do.

problems today.

Reid Bauer has averaged 43 yards per punt on six punts today.

That’s including one 26-yarder that landed at the 19.

Punting has been much improved today, along with punt protection and punt coverage.

That doesn’t work in D1 football, only works in HS if you’re playing a lesser opponent. What we need to do is find a good punter/FG/KO and give him a full scholarship.

That doesn’t work in D1 football, only works in HS if you’re playing a lesser opponent. What we need to do is find a good punter/FG/KO and give him a full scholarship.

What we really need is a young Ken Turner

How do you know it does not work when nobody has ever tried it…

Let’s give credit where credit is due–(and I wish that I knew who that someone or someones is, but) the punting in our game yesterday was much better than the atrocious show in prior games, and we might even say to the level of acceptable. My feeling is that whomever that “someone” is, found a far more acceptable “fix” than that proposed by the OP. Hope that it remains fixed as well or gets even better.

Trey Biddy says that Barry Lunney rode the punt coverage team hard last week. Really got in their faces and demanded better effort and results. Good job Barry!

Now we need to fix the kickoff coverage since we cannot seem to find a kicker who can consistently kick off to the end zone.