The Venerable Mr. Venables

Remains my top choice. So good to hear that we have at least made contact. I long for Defense. I pine for Defense. Time to put the F. Lee Bailey days behind us.

Eagle…please explain defense. I’ve heard about it but have not seen it in a while… :shock:

:lol: As played by us, it resembles something you might see a guy in a cape doing in an arena in Spain. Ole’!

The interesting thing about Venables is that he was involved in the Arkansas search in 2007. I’ve probably paid a little closer attention to him because of that. He seems to check the boxes you would want in an assistant to head coach jump. The question is whether he will ever want to be a head coach. There is no doubt that there have been offers come his way.

This is my guy. I hope he is a serious candidate. I really believe he could be a Kirby Smart-type hire. No, Venables doesn’t have head coaching experience, but he certainly has witnessed firsthand what it takes to win at the highest level. I would love to see what a transformation he could make with our defense.

[quote=“MattJones”]
The interesting thing about Venables is that he was involved in the Arkansas search in 2007. I’ve probably paid a little closer attention to him because of that. He seems to check the boxes you would want in an assistant to head coach jump. The question is whether he will ever want to be a head coach. There is no doubt that there have been offers come his way.
[/quote]Sorry - I don’t want to be where he finds out.

We all know, by now, that even having a successful background as a head coach doesn’t always equate to success at a new location. But with someone like BV, you also have a certain percentage (30-40%?) that he’s not HC material at all! That drives the liklihood that he won’t be a success (as a HC) at Arkansas higher than virtually anyone else we’re considering at this time. For me, that makes him a “no go”.

Plus - and I’ve stated this previously - some folks who are VERY GOOD assistants/coordinators just do not have that “HC gene”. I’m of the mind that if someone has been at the programs and had the success that someone like Venables has had - and is 47 years old - the odds are that he KNOWS what he is, and that is a top notch, seven figure coordinator.