The report of CSP 'clarifying' remarks re: pulling KJ

I believe illustrates one of the problems with the team - he continually appears to go out of his way to not offend an assistant coach or player and shoulder the blame for everything himself. I think he publicly needs to ‘call a spade a spade’ every once in a while. To me, that (being too nice as a college football coach) is a recipe for trouble. Another poster mentioned CSP discussing Offensive or Defensive strategy and stating that ‘we need to do this or that more’. Come on Sam! Take control a little more!

I totally disagree with you. He should council and scold assistants behind closed doors, and he probably does.

11 Likes

His philosophy mirrors every great coach I’ve seen at Arkansas - Broyles, Sutton, Richardson, McDonnell, Van Horn, Musselman and others. None ever criticized their staff and took blame when things did not work.

12 Likes

He hasn’t just slammed his staff but he has been critical of them some. He said at halftime when ask the question of did he give a fire and brimstone talk he said yes and for the coaches too!

He’s made statements along the way about defensive things he was tired of seeing, in discussions with Odom, same with Briles. But then he is correct at the end of the day it’s his decision what they OC and DC.

He also indicated we have some positions on both sides of the ball that need to get better.

Could he be more clear an more assertive… sure. But I think he has subtly thrown his CO’s under the bus even when he made it clear he kept them from doing what he was complaining about. More than once.

I don’t think he sees any point in constant loud public harsh comments about it.

I’d guess that after 40 years in the profession, seeing what has worked and what hasn’t in dealing with players and coaches and how it has affected himself and the people around him, CSP has decided that this is the kind of coach he wants to be.

4 Likes

If you throw your assistants under the bus in the media, you’ll have a hard time getting the best assistants to come work for you in the future.

7 Likes

I’ve always been a firm believer in keeping things in-house. Does no good whatsoever to air dirty laundry.

4 Likes

“If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games for you.”

Bear Bryant

15 Likes

Thanks @jacksonreid ole Bear was a brilliant leader. That philosophy works in any leadership position.

2 Likes

Chad Morris was great at putting blame on everyone else and that didn’t work out very well.

1 Like

You can take the blame a few times. But if you keep losing they know who to blame. That was Danny Ford’s translation of Bear’s philosophy. Bear did not have to take the blame too much.

2 Likes

This is true, you don’t have to tap yourself on the chest and say ‘My Bad’, everybody already knows.

AGREE w most posters, bottom line, Sam is Old School class act.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.