The “Fire the Chief (or Morris or Craddock)” sentiment

is puzzling.

Before I get to my point, let me self disclose … so you can clearly see any agenda I may have.

1. I truly don’t care who coaches my Razorback teams. All coaches are temporary. When they leave their assignment, voluntarily or not, they will be replaced by the “next coach.”
  2. While they are coaching a Razorback team, I fully support them, and hope they will do well … because that typically means my team is also doing well. When they are replaced, I support the “next coach” for the very same reason I supported the previous one.
  3. I know some will say I am no more than a “blind follower,” but the truth is I simply have no experience/ability to assess an entire body of work of a coach or coaching staff, mostly because I do not have insight into all the behind-the-scenes goings-on of the organization. I have to trust that the AD makes the “right call” when the time comes. If they don’t, they TOO will be replaced.

So here we go…

Morris, Chief, Craddock, and any of the current assistant coaches MAY or MAY NOT be the answer when it comes to raising razorback Football to a competitive level (however you define it). I don’t know how much (if any) the culture has improved within the football program, but I can see the product on the field.

It’s probable that our coaches have made mistakes when it comes to things like player development, game planning, play calling, player substitution, and numerous other areas. But the most glaring factor affecting our on-field performance is the players, themselves. We certainly have a handful of SEC-caliber players on our roster, but we don’t have enough on our two-deep. I understand great coaching can help mitigate this deficiency to some degree, but coaching them up goes only so far. The only real way to correct this situation is through much improved assessment/recruitment. The ONLY way to know whether our current staff is “the answer” is to give them an opportunity to do so. If they cannot, they will be replaced.

And finally, let me address this whole “I’m gonna get ‘the best’ DC” situation. I saw the press conference, and I heard that statement with my own two ears, as well. I believe CM sincerely intended to do just that. But I also know that saying you’re going to do something, and actually being able to do it, are two very different things. I suspect CM had a substantial list of highly desirable DC candidates. I further suspect many of those candidates took a whopping 15 seconds to do a little research and recognize how bereft of SEC talent we were … and politely declined the offer.

So one can critique how CM handled this issue, but it’s very likely Chief was “the best DC he could find that would take over this dumpster fire of a defense.” I’m just not sure how well that would have played had he actually used that wording at his press conference.

Who said Fire them?

I have never said fire them…They need our support and time to recruit and make the necessary changes to have a competitive football team.

You did not, but amazingly it’s out there on other boards, Twitter, etc. Especially re: Chavis.

It’s been on this board, if not today, then in previous weeks. I think coaches make statements in their opening PCs that may be a stretch. “The best DC in the country” led many to think of Clemson’s DC, but CCM couldn’t or didn’t try to pull that one off. No coach is going to say he’s going to get the No. 25 DC coach in the country or wherever Chavis might be rated. It’s just like CBB saying he planned to beat Alabama; I sincerely believe he planned to beat them. He just didn’t know how tall an order that would be. But I’d much rather a coach make an exaggerated statement like “best DC in the country” than to say, “well, we’ll try to do our best but this is Arkansas you know.”

It is very clear that this coaching staff inherited a weak roster in some of the most important areas on the field, QB, WR, OL and DB. In fact I think the roster is weaker than I actually thought it was as players I thought were going to good and emerge just have not. That is particularly true at wide out.
It may be time to move on from some of these seniors that have just never peaked and let some kids play.
I would like to see Dalton Wagner as a starter the rest of the way. The thing with the O-line is we are playing three seniors. So it is not like the experience is not there. They just are not getting it done. That is why with these last bunch of recruits all attention needs to go to O-linemen and line backers.
I am just figuring this is going to be a 2-10 team, we graduate some weak performers and we start pointing to a brighter future.

I support playing young guys at this point…if they are ready to play. Playing o-lineman that are not ready might get Ty hit even more than he already is.

I’m not going to pile on one of our players as so many have, but I do want to see what Joe Foucha can do with extended PT.

[quote=“Hursthawg”]

It is very clear that this coaching staff inherited a weak roster in some of the most important areas on the field, QB, WR, OL and DB. In fact I think the roster is weaker than I actually thought it was as players I thought were going to good and emerge just have not. That is particularly true at wide out.
It may be time to move on from some of these seniors that have just never peaked and let some kids play.
I would like to see Dalton Wagner as a starter the rest of the way. The thing with the O-line is we are playing three seniors. So it is not like the experience is not there. They just are not getting it done. That is why with these last bunch of recruits all attention needs to go to O-linemen and line backers.
I am just figuring this is going to be a 2-10 team, we graduate some weak performers and we start pointing to a brighter future.

[/quote]This is why I trust our coaches more than I trust my ability to judge talent. They see everyday in practice what these players are and are not capable of doing. I try to avoid saying who should play; I doubt any coach who is trying to win (and I believe that to be the majority) is going to sit players who clearly aren’t ready or capable of playing. A good high school highlight film (have you seen many bad ones?) does not translate into SEC-ready players. I understand the call for younger players; I really do, but I figure the coaches know what they need to do to finish this season and prepare for the years to come. If they don’t, they don’t need to be here long.