The field at Baum Stadium

is just incredible. A beautiful grass surface as perfect as I have seen. Whoever is the groundskeeper does a great job. There are no flaws in the surface. It reminds me of the course at Augusta National.

I hope our football field looks half this good when we go to the real grass. We can invite Les Miles over for a lunch of bermuda and blue grass.

I noticed that when I was there. I have been to a lot of major League Parks and that field takes a back seat to none of them

Especially when you see Super Regionals played at Oregon St, Vandy, and Texas Tech on artificial turf. Line drives through the infield getting to the wall.

Baseball is meant to be played on natural grass. There is nothing better

We asked the head groundskeeper if he would be back next year. (Our tailgate often feed the grounds crew.) He said, “Of course!” Arkansas has a tradition of great grounds crews.

Can someone please explain why the Shorthorns, Vanderbilt, and TexTech all have identical all synthetic fields? No dirt in the infield or base paths. Even the dirt on the mound and around home plate is synthetic! If all of that was cheaper, that would explain Vanderbilt going that route, but UT-Austin can afford whatever Augie wanted. So, why do they do that? Since, every MLB field is natural grass, there cannot be more prestige to go artificial.

Baum look perfect! It always does! After watching the regionals and super regional Rounds there no field that looks better. I’m proud of our ball park and our hogs!

I can understand it at Tech and Vandy. February weather is iffy both places. That’s why you put in turf, to get more early-season games in. Texas has had turf at Disch-Falk since they built it, and now have the turf sliding pits as well. The only plausible explanation at Texas is tradition – Cliff Gustafson had turf, so turf it shall be. They can grow grass pretty much 11 months a year there if not 12.

The mound at Texas is dirt, by the way. I think Vandy has a turf mound. Several of the Big Ten schools have the all-turf fields, again because of the weather factor (frozen dirt on the mound is not good for your pitching).

I hate artificial turf on baseball fields. I understand having it in terrible weather locales or inside a dome where it won’t grow, but otherwise…

Turf was essential for St. Louis back in the Whiteyball era. They could slap the ball through the infield and beat out hits. They needed it because they sure weren’t going to hit the ball out of the park regularly. But those summer days on that turf were unbearably hot. While I loved those Cardinals (and still do), I do think grass fields are best for baseball and football.

I can understand turf fields, but the sliding pits, mound, and batters box should be dirt.

HUGE Red Bird fan. Went the firsst year there.

CAN DD or anyone tell me the line up. My older sister has told me all that I know due know being so young. Bob Gipson pitch, and Curt Flood. Not sure of the others.
Even watched Ozzie do his flip till they MADE him stop!!

Management was afraid he was going to get hurt I think?

Anyway is was like 115 to 120 on that turf back then. Maybe more. Just almost burning your feet.

I’m not sure which year you’re talking about, but you may be thinking about Tim McCarver at catcher, Joe Torre at first, Julian Javier at second, Mike Shannon at third, Dal Maxville at shortstop, Lou Brock in LF, Curt Flood in CF and Vada Pinson in RF. That team had Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton among its pitching staff.

I’m more familiar with the less successful Redbirds in the early 70s that had Ted Simmons at C, Joe Torre at 1B, Ted Sizemore at 2B, Kenny Reitz at 3B, Mike Tyson at SS, Lou Brock LF, Bake McBride CF and Reggie Smith RF. Gibson was still around, but Carlton was in Philly. John Curtis was a pretty good pitcher. And then there was Al Hrabosky coming in for relief. They didn’t win big, but they were fun to listen to, which we did every night.

popaganda, but as bad as our fielding was at times then maybe we could consider the stuff??? Nah, but it has benefits.

http://www.magicmix.net/

It is photogenic and non-conformist.

The following is the basic lineup from 67/68. I’m a little iffy on the order of Javier and Shannon. This is done from memory. If I’m wrong, just remember it was 50 years ago.

• Brock
  • Flood
  • Maris
  • Cepeda
  • Javier
  • Shannon
  • McCarver
  • Maxvill
  • Gibson, Briles, Carlton

The Cards’ batting order for Game 7 of the '68 WS against Detroit:

Brock
Javier
Flood
Cepeda
Shannon
McCarver
Maris
Maxvill
Gibson

I remember all of these guys . . . and I was a Yankees fan. Truth be told, I was only into baseball, in those days, as it was something to do until football season came around. But being the age I was, and out of school during the summer, I had to identify with some team to pull for against my buddies (who were San Francisco Giant and Milwaukee Braves fans, respectively). Since the Yankees were on about 2/3 of the Saturday games of the week on TV, I knew most of them and became a fan. Mickey Mantle was my guy.

In Sept 1964, when I was in 6th grade, my elementary/middle school was undergoing some construction, so the 6th grade went to the local HS for a semester while that was being finished (My HS aged brother despised the fact that I was on “his” campus). Anyway, I remember listening to parts of the games over our transistor radios during lunch (Mountain Time zone in El Paso). The Vice Principal was a huge baseball fan (and a coach), so he actually piped the last couple of innings of game 7 to everyone in the school over the intercom! Can you imagine the flack he would get for doing that these days!

Anyway, I always had a great deal of respect for the Cardinals in those days. Gibson was a baaaaad man on the mound.

Gibson was a beast on the mound.
So was Denny McClain (won 31 games) & Mickey Lolich (pitched 3 games in world series) for Detroit.

I had forgotten this (although I remembered that Lolich, who could not hit worth a lick, hit his only career homer during this Series), but Lolich threw three complete games (2, 5 and 7) and won all of them. Gibson beat McLain in games 1 and 4, but Lolich went on 2 days rest in the finale and shut out the Cards until Shannon hit a ninth-inning too-little-too-late homer.