The conditioning of this team is absolutely unreal

This is probably one of the greatest strengths this team has… they are in incredible shape, especially JD! The ability to play as hard as we do on defense is miraculous. I think that’s why we slow it down some on offense is to actually give ourself a breath and although it frustrates me sometimes I definitely understand what the strength of this team is it will always be defense.

5 Likes

I think the secret to our turnaround is that after the loss at College Station we understood that we have to hang our hats on defense first and foremost.

3 Likes

Bingo! The hogs started playing team defense after that game. The Vandy loss was a dose of humble pie too!
Both of those losses could have been avoided by making free throws.
The Hofstra loss is still by far the worse loss on the season!
The A&M loss could end up being a Q-3 loss too if the Aggies don’t start winning some games.

Yes, we are in superb shape. It is amazing how hard those boys played last night. We need more depth, but we will do the best we can with who we have.

1 Like

A&M is a Q1 loss. There is no way they lose enough games to drop from Q1 to Q3. They would have to fall from 70 to 136 to do that.

Well they better get to winning some games!

I have to admit I hear all this Q1 stuff
I have no clue what they are talking about.:slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely right, we played coordinated chaos on defense last night, everyone knew their job and JWill played it to perfection in my opinion, they took away the strength of Auburn on offense. Muss drew up a great game plan to say the least, if we can improve our shot selection we will really be hard to handle on game day. WPS

Quick NET primer. Each game has two variables: Who you play and where you play them. A road game is Q1 if the opponent is ranked 1-75. A home game is only Q1 if the opponent is ranked 1-30. Neutral site is 1-50.

Since A&M is currently #70 that loss is a Q1 game (makes no difference where they were at the time of the game, it’s where they are now, or more importantly in March when the committee is deliberating). Our OT win over A&M is Q2 because they’re not in the top 30. The neutral site loss to OU is also Q1 because they’re in the top 50.

Q1 wins are nice (LSU and Auburn are Q1) but a good Q1-Q2 record is also important. We’re 8-3 in that category.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detail report… amazing people have this much time to come up with all that stuff… but if they paid me the money they’re paying them I probably would come up with it too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The NCAA spent a lot of time and money to develop NET, and then tweaked the formula two years ago, actually removing some stuff they previously considered. But with the formula established, their computers take in the scores and sites and spit out the rankings automatically.

1 Like

Notae has done much extra work in lifting and conditioning. He deserves a lot of credit. He has earned his extra time with hard work.

4 Likes

Yes and after last night we learned how to take it up another notch. We now have the blueprint of how to make a run.

He is amazing Clay…He never stops moving! always has the ball and is elite with his tight defense…just in incredible shape!

2 Likes

You could tell watching JD and JWill in the post game presser how tired they were. They laid it on the line 100%. And JD played 41 minutes.

2 Likes

Yeah glad we played on Tuesday.
That kind of game will stay with you for a few days even if you are young like they are.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is in the detailed stat sheet but how many times in a game is JD flat out on the floor under the basket after a drive? And most always he bounces right back up. Youth and conditioning!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure he’s in the training room bright and early the next morning

1 Like

JD is my inspiration. Sunday night I found myself in a 5 v 5 fullcourt basketball game with high school kids. The game went 40 minutes with no breaks. Whenever I found myself wanting to quit or just play one side of the court like an old school girl’s basketball player, I would ask myself, what would JD do? (WWJDD) Then I sucked it up and played on.

3 Likes

My basketball days are well behind me. Feet, knee, and back issues make attempting to run to painful to even attempt. I have stated that I will never run again. Used to be I would say, “If you see me running you better run too…or tackle the guy chasing me”

Now I have decided I am not going to get drug down like a gazelle on the plains of Africa and will at least try to get a shot in! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like