The Canaan Sandy affect

2020 LB Martavius French,6-2, 236 of Memphis Whitehaven said Canaan is the first fan from a college to come cheer him, LB Bryson Eason and OL Melvin McBride at a game when he and his mother attended last night’s game.

He said that upped his interest in the Hogs. He visited Arkansas in the spring of 2017 and plans to get back fairly soon.

He and DC John Chavis have talked on the phone several times.

He has offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and others.

HUDL: http://www.hudl.com/profile/8003057/Martavius-French

Richard,
I always enjoy posts, tweets, etc. with Canaan in them. Would you mind giving some bio info on Canaan, how and when he connecting with the Razorback players, recruits, and coaches. He seems like a great individual and would just like to hear(read) his story.

Thanks and I enjoy reading all the info you share. Live in Alabama, so you, Clay and Dudley are some of the writers I rely on to stay up to date.

Sandy is obviously a huge Hog fan from Cave City and has Down syndrome. I think Canaan is nearing 40.

He was one of three inductees into ESPN’s Fan Hall of Fame in 2013. He and his mother try and see as many BB or FB prospects.

I ran into Canaan on the concourse at Omaha during the CWS rain delay. My Omaha host was surprised that I knew who he was and that he was in the Fan HOF.

He gets around, I’ll say that. If there’s a Hog game, he’s probably there.

Here is the Canaan story.

https://www.archildrens.org/health-and- … naan-sandy

Thanks everyone. Nice young man.

Great stuff!!! Thanks so much for posting BigJohn. I am in awe of just how many times we see him around the state checking out and cheering on the recruits. Great stuff from a great young man!

Have always admired this young man, the pure joy he gets from being a fan and always the positive response from players and other fans towards Canaan. Kind of put things in perspective for those of us that sometimes takes the some of the ordinary good things in life for granted.

So true. When I get upset about anything, I ask myself is it really that important in the big scheme of things.

[quote=“Bayouhog”]

Have always admired this young man, the pure joy he gets from being a fan and always the positive response from players and other fans towards Canaan. Kind of put things in perspective for those of us that sometimes takes the some of the ordinary good things in life for granted.

[/quote]Like you said, it is so neat to see how so many of the athletes respond to him and seem to enjoy being around him, which is very understandable for the joy and enthusiasm he seems to bring to each encounter. He is a special person and it seems that he has a wonderful supportive family who share this gift with the state.

He is everywhere! Friday night he was attending the Little Rock Christian - Benton benefit game.