The Basketball Critics Need to Re-Assess

The word “might” does not mean that I think something like beating OK. State by over 20 points would be certain to happen, or even likely to happen. In our language, the word “might” means some future event has more than zero probability of occurring. So yes, I believe that were we to face Ok. State at BWA, the probability of our winning by over 20 points would be more than zero. In fact, I believe that the probability of such a win would be high enough so as to be nontrivial, though not the likeliest outcome.

For sure three straight dances with Portis and Qualls instead of Kuaossi and Jenkins on last year’s squad that was snake bitten in close losses in ot at Dayton, in Little Rock to Mercer in Beards return or the at Georgia ot Dusty rebound fall down or at LSU inbounds or at Florida stop needed. The other point fans and critics dont also credit missing from last year was Jacorey Williams who has improved leaps and bounds like Moses did in off season workouts to step up for Portis departure. Due to his funny money dismissal and bouncer account of things accepted as fact, his current 17 points and 8 rebounds is for Middle Tenn’s top 40 rou team that crushed Vandy, won at Ole Miss and upset Izzo’s Mich St in last years big dance. Three in a row was in grasp after Portis and Qualls declared but was over once the senior power forward was dismissed. If Beard and Thomas could stay, so should a senior but thats another topic and timing made it a must go.

Not landing Monk and Allen wasn’t even close to the point. The point was that they aren’t here and that is the reality. Just like Portis and Qualls wanting (or needing) the paycheck more than they wanted to stay Hogs. That’s not a knock on either; it’s just the reality of the situation.

The entire point was that you can’t say Mike would have a better track record here if X had occurred because X didn’t occur and Mike’s record is Mike’s record.

[quote=“GeneralHog”]

Travis Ford was a good coach who had one horrible year and he got replaced because he had a horrible season with good talent around him.

Brad Underwood wasn’t an unknown when he took the Oklahoma State job. He did wonders for SFA. You talk about his system, you do realize that he runs virtually the same system Anderson does right? Based on today’s environment? Depends. In the Big 12, they allow that kind of aggressive play(look at WV) but in the SEC, unless you’re Kentucky or Florida, they don’t. If he played that aggressive in the SEC, he might make the NIT.

I don’t ask who would come to Arkansas, I ask who can you legitimately replace Anderson with who would be better. If you say Brad Underwood, then you are just trading one coach with a similar system for another, so what would change?

Besides, Anderson has proven at this point that he is our man and there is no need to replace him. Your complaints have been refuted time and again by Anderson and this Razorback team and I know that hurts you. It hurts you because you’d rather be right, then this Razorback team be successful and prove you wrong. Give it up!
[/quote]get lost

[quote=“oinkbait”]

I’ll write it again: The basketball critics need to re-assess.

For all you idiots that are still complaining about Mike Anderson “stop it it’s over, you have no ammo”. This is a really good coach that’s passionate about winning, not like bret B that’s only collecting a check and is way over his head coaching in the sec. Its only going to get better for the years to come, so even if they lose tomorrow, it’s been a great season and we’ll be going to the tournament, unlike in football going to the music city bowl. And on a closing note if your not a true razorback ride or die fan, please don’t even watch the game tomorrow because all your doing is hoping that coach MA is going to fail, “but it’s not going to happen.” woo pig sooeee

I find it interesting that you rip those who complain about CMA as being “idiots” and in the next breath rip CBB. I happen to agree with you about CMA. I think it’s time his critics quieten down. But I also think CBB deserves the same. If he doesn’t get it done, sure, he may need to go, but we can safely say both head coaches inherited messes in their programs after they had proven themselves in other programs. Two tournaments in the last three years: I applaud CMA and hopes its five in six years by the time all the recruits get here. You should hope for the same kind of success with CBB.

How many guys were on here a year ago ripping Anderson for recruiting JUCO’s? With the failure of the 2015 recruiting class, he needed to bring in experienced firepower that could contribute right away. Getting Macon and Barford to add to what we already had has been the key to success. How many games has Macon won with clutch free throws? How many runs have been ignited by Barford’s fiery and aggressive play? Turned out coach knew exactly what he was doing, and his critics were full of it.

i admit i was one who was skeptical of bringing in so many juco players, but i was very wrong. its evident that all 3 have the talent, skill, and desire to make an impact on every game. i would go as far to say that Barford is our best and most important player. he seems to play his best when everyone else is playing their worst. countless games this year he has single handedly kept us in games through the first half when our other scorers were struggling. im certain the program is headed in right direction.

on a side note i hope we dont get screwed by the committee if we beat KY. if they pick the seeds before the outcome of the final, and it doesnt reflect a win for us it would be abhorrent.

Agreed. The main reason we’re suddenly already ten wins better than a year ago is Barford and Macon. You’re right there have been games where Barford has single-handedly kept us in it. Without Macon we probably don’t beat Texas, win at Vandy or at Tennesse, or even win last night in the quarterfinals. Both these guys have been key players. Barford took a while to get acclimated to Division I, but in the last month he’s been electrifying. He can turn a game around all by himself.

On your second point, as Kentucky found out last year, the seeding will probably already have been decided before the outcome of the SEC finals is known.

As a critic of CMA, I will give him the credit due in turning this team around. I hope they continue to improve under him. I think it has been a successful season overall and hope they win tomorrow and go deep in the NCAA tourney!!! I hope General Hog reads this. I looked for him at the game in SC but couldn’t find him.

The JUCO’s were recruited for their experience and firepower. We would have been in bad shape without Macon, Bardford and Cook ! The hogs have done something this year different make free throw at crunch time down the stretch with the game on the line. We have won games this year that historically we have lost in the past! They have had comebacks on the road and made winning plays. We should all be proud of Mike Anderson and these hogs! I’m one that believes Mike Anderson should have been given the job when Nolan left!

I think Mike White still deserves his Coach of the Year honors, but if we were to beat Kentucky today MA would in reality have done the most extraordinary job of coaching in our conference, a complete turnaround in one season with the team peaking in March. Even if we lose today it’s been a great job, but a win on national TV against a very good Kentucky team just might signal that Arkansas basketball is back. Could it happen?

Hogs have a chance against KY but I think it is very slim. Hope they prove me wrong. It’s been nice being wrong about them lately!!!