The bad part of social media

https://twitter.com/Ran4UT/status/917924393518620672

There is lots of bad to social media. It has played the biggest role in the deterioration of civility.

I agree with Matt’s comments on this and would add that the younger generation has grown up dependent on this media and that does not bode well 20 years down the road as it has replaced most of the other media forms.

If one forms an opinion solely on a 140 or 200 plus character tweet, that’s not good.

FWIW, Aaron is reacting to some of the things fans are tweeting to the players.

The worst part of social media? Acceptance of poor grammar and spelling.

“Fans” have no business tweeting players…ridiculous.

I hate seeing this just like I hate Twitter.

Unless it’s for work purposes, I don’t think adults should be tweeting anyway.

Sure get on to see what’s happening, read from news members, I like to check your Friday night stats Richard. But you’ll never see me post. I wish others would do the same. Pitiful that some adults would say the things they say to a bunch of kids. Say it to Bret, the other coaches, I don’t care, I’d prefer it to not be on Twitter still, but leave the kids alone.

Agree. I usually block people that get out of line. I understand people being upset but when they go overboard I don’t want any part of it. That includes profanity with my name tagged to it.

I played sports in an era of no social media…glad I did…would not be on it now for sure

Social media has been a mixed blessing at best. Even these message boards get out of hand & this one has good moderators. However, it does seem too many people get news from unreliable sources on social media & accept it as gospel. The worst thing, perhaps, is that people can hide behind pseudonyms & do things like attacking football players for failing to live up to a fan’s expectations. It’s simply wrong. I don’t get too upset when a fan criticizes a coach or even thinks he should be fired, but some of the tweets, messages, & calls in to radio shows carry a vitriol that only sounds like personal hatred to me. I understand Ed Orgeron got several death threats following the loss to Troy. That’s insane & wicked.

yep.
:frowning:

[quote=“Neastarkie”]
Social media has been a mixed blessing at best. Even these message boards get out of hand & this one has good moderators. However, it does seem too many people get news from unreliable sources on social media & accept it as gospel. The worst thing, perhaps, is that people can hide behind pseudonyms & do things like attacking football players for failing to live up to a fan’s expectations. It’s simply wrong. I don’t get too upset when a fan criticizes a coach or even thinks he should be fired, but some of the tweets, messages, & calls in to radio shows carry a vitriol that only sounds like personal hatred to me. I understand Ed Orgeron got several death threats following the loss to Troy. That’s insane & wicked.
[/quote]The most sinister thing about social media is that it entices many (most) of us to express thoughts that heretofore - in the history of mankind - we would have simply thought and then kept to ourselves. Or, perhaps, mentioned to a friend or two in our local neighborhood, and then it would have died there.

Would WE have still harbored those thoughts, whether or not we had tweeted or otherwise expressed them to others? In most cases, yes.

But kept to ourselves (and our local circle of friends) - as has traditionally been the case - there is NO ability for virtually anyone in the world to listen in to our little conversation and jump in. This change has tremendously increased the odds of a confrontational response . . . and then, we’re off to the races. As NEA and others have correctly pointed out, most people are emboldened to say things they would not necessarily say (at least, in the way they do) when they are sitting with relative anonymity behind a keyboard. This goes both ways, so zingers fly out and the battle is joined. And when you have hundreds - or thousands - of people reading . . .

Fundamentally, we all now have the capability to share our opinion “with the world”, no matter how under-researched, poorly articulated, or just plain wrong it may be (of course, it may also be well researched, written crisply and completely on-point; but anyone who has read “opinion boards” on the internet will agree there are many more of the former than the latter on the vast majority of them). It would be one thing if that was as far as it went - a huge waste of time between “fans” who mostly don’t know what they are talking about. However, to complicate things, these flash-fire fights are easily accessible to the players themselves. Last thing a freshman athlete needs (from a constructive point of view) is to be hearing from/reading and wasting time communicating with people who have NO IDEA what they are talking about, when it comes to him and his teammates. It is yet another distraction, and no good can come from it.

The greatest part about twitter is it will live with the author for ever. He/she will never get to hide from it for the rest of his or her life. In 20 years, when many of the juveniles on twitter are trying to be something in life, their twitter account will follow them and haunt them. It will be a tough lesson, but for those that stayed off, they will have the most success.

Too many people don’t care enough about their reputation, probably because they don’t have one or are too young to care. But it matters.

I tell my students to be careful what you put into writing because one day way down the road it may come back to haunt you.

One of the great benefits of being a technological dunderhead, is that I never figured out Twitter. Not that I tried very hard. Really has never interested me.

I’m a Twitter user and poster. I mostly follow news and sports, with a smattering of a few friends.

My posts are mostly retweets of the Razorback interests. The bulk of my own personal tweets are from baseball games, conditions and line scores at the end of every inning.

I use facebook & enjoy it. It’s reconnected me with old friends I’d lost track of & likely would’ve never heard from again. Even got me better acquainted with people from my hometown who were enough older or younger than me that I would have never called them “friends” but can now do so quite happily. Twitter, OTOH, I’ve never gotten into. I don’t know who’d follow me. I’m not sure who I’d follow. I guess family & close friends, but I don’t know what I’d ever say on it, other than something like, “Hi. I’ve safely arrived in X after a long (flight)(drive) yada yada yada.”

I use Twitter to customize how I get news - folllow certain news reporters, political commentators, sports reporters, etc. Much more efficient than having to bookmark multiple sites.

Following athletes especially 18 -22 year olds or recruits… uh, no thank you!

Jackson, I do the same thing. I don’t follow recruits and don’t follow every Razorback, just because I haven’t seen 18-22 in so long that my interests aren’t the same as theirs.

This is the total truth…