The 15.4mm pound gorilla in the room

I’m beginning to think that CBB may not be the answer. I like the personality, but the on field product is getting old.

Petrino proved that you can beat anyone, except maybe Saban’s 'Bama. So it can be done with the right coach.

That all being said, his $15.4mm buyout ties the UA’s hands. Their fault and hopefully they’ll learn from this. In the meantime, his buyout goes to $4mm after 2020.

A couple of things I would note:

• That buyout is consistent with what most coaches at major programs have written into their contract. Obviously it’s a different situation there, but Jimbo Fisher’s buyout is the sum of his entire contract. So if he were fired after six more seasons, he would still be owed something like $22 million.

• Bielema’s buyout drops to $11.7 million after Dec. 31, 2017, and to $7.9 million after Dec. 31, 2018. So if a coaching change needs to be made after the next couple of seasons, Arkansas’ hands are not as tied as it would appear.

Wow. So Jimbo got his extension and buyout after winning a national championship, another season in the playoff, a Peach Bowl and a berth in the Orange Bowl.

Bielema got his extension and buyout after going 3-9, then 7-6. I wish my boss had similar expectations as Bielema’s.

Say what you want, but two years after signing the extension it appears that Jeff Long got taken to the woodshed.

Wow, Yeahp. :shock:

Whoever they hire next will have the same deal. It’s the price of doing business in college football, especially the SEC.

I don’t know what business you are in, but if it is not college football then you are not talking about apples and apples, you are talking about apples and croutons

Did you feel that CBB earned that extension and buyout?

If you are going to give a guy that large of a buyout, you need to have so much cash on hand you could pay the coach off without a whimper. What you don’t want is to have to keep a coach because you cannot afford to fire him. That is not an intelligent position to be in.

Long and the Board of Trustees and the donors - who all approved this - feel the way some of you fans do

That wouldn’t appear to be the case right now.

If that was the case, they would find the money

Do I agree with the extension?

I would say it didn’t bother me at the time.

I’m not going to practice revisionist history and make myself look smart by saying I didn’t agree at the time

I may be wrong, but I sure don’t remember people being up in arms about the extension at the time

Now, sure, but not then

Oh I can’t remember the tenor of Razorback nation either, however I can unequivocally say that I didn’t feel that he did deserved it based on what he had done thus far. What other school was coming after CBB with a 2-14 SEC record at the time? Fast forward two years and now some are considering it to have hamstrung the athletic director from making a move.

Firing CBB at this point, buyout aside, would be foolish, however it would seem that the UA is stuck with CBB at least two more years regardless of results.

Critiscm of Long for CBB’s recruiting seem foolish, but his needless (IMO) rush to ratchet up a buyout for a coach who hadn’t pissed a drop in two years deserves critiquing.