That Targeting Call was as Bad a Call as I've Seen....

…may be a few that tie it. Whatever the Tulsa kid said to that Ref, well it was true, ha!

If that call would have been made on our Hogs, there would be a thread w 1000 posts.

Yeah it was overturned… but kinda like those out of bounds calls when he didn’t step out of bounds, the ref dreamed it.

Just sayin’ :sunglasses:

Give us a more credit than that. That targeting call didn’t warrant much comment no matter who it was against. Quickly overturned, rightly so.
As far the smart a… Tulsa player right or wrong he should just keep his mouth shut.

LSU fans are jumping up and down against the targeting call against Devin White, late in last night’s game which means he is sidelined for the first half of the Alabama game. They don’t think it was targeting. It’s hard to tell from the angle that’s shown, but it looked like his helmet may have contacted the face mask of Nick Fitzgerald.

Officials make that call on the spot. They know the call will be reviewed. They’d rather err on the side of catching it. I have no beef with them making the call even though it was one that was correctly overturned. The stupid kid from Tulsa should’ve kept his mouth shut. The call was still being reviewed. It cost his team.

And for what it’s worth, no one on here is criticizing the officials for correctly calling a personal foul on our player when he took a swipe at the TU returmer following the fair catch. Fans are biased, but they’re not stupid.

A very valid statement, NE.
And we all sometimes do or say something stupid.

[quote=“SoArkHog”]

LSU fans are jumping up and down against the targeting call against Devin White, late in last night’s game which means he is sidelined for the first half of the Alabama game. They don’t think it was targeting. It’s hard to tell from the angle that’s shown, but it looked like his helmet may have contacted the face mask of Nick Fitzgerald/b].

[/quote]I guess it’s possible, but I didn’t see it that way…and I watched the replay nearly a dozen times. Most importantly, White’s helmet didn’t seem to move a milimeter…which indicates to me a whiff…but then, it also looked like a very clean hit to me.
That said, I hate the targeting rule. I think it’s something that should be called only when completely confident…and never something tickytack. That is, the official should know it when he sees it, and it’s obvious

[quote=“daBoar”]

When I originally saw it, I thought it was a horrible call. It didn’t look like his helmet contacted Fitizgerald’s helmet. But then I saw it again, and it seemed he may have grazed Fitzgerald’s facemask with his helmet. But it’s inconclusive. I think you’re right; they weren’t completely certain of it and threw the flag just in case. I think it’s a case of the replay being inconclusive and since it was called on the field, it was upheld. Bad break for LSU against Alabama.

One must remember that replay booth & officials in “Birmingham” knew who LSU’s next opponent was.
Just saying,

When I saw it live, I thought it was targeting - just as the ref did.

After the replay, I would have overturned it.

Agree

“Mercy”…he was going for the ball to recover a fumble.

I’m talking about the LSU targeting penalty, not the Tulsa one.

Totally agree. I hate it for LSU because they’ll need all their bullets on D to slow down Bama and keep up. I expect a shootout in this game.

It may be, but I think LSU’s offense may struggle to keep up.