Tenn Tech ihas put up some huge numbers . . . but . . .

I’ll be intrigued to follow them this post-season and see how those eye-popping stats carry over when they’re playing the big boys.

For the season, they’re batting .347 with 121 Home Runs, both leading the nation by a large margin (.326 and 87 HR are second, respectively). We’ve tailed off a liittle toward the end of the season, and currently are at .301 with 78 dingers.

However, I notice that Tenn Tech’s SOS is right around 200 (192, as I type this). Sprinkled into that mix are teams with current RPI ratings of #204, #237, #226, #235, etc.

So, just for grins, I looked at the handful of opponents we played that were at RPI 200 and beyond. In those 6 games, we had a batting average of .382, and hit 12 HR - which would equate to having 108 HR’s currently. Just shows what a difference competition (and level of pitching) can make.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they run into high quality (top 30) type pitching. I’ll be paying attention.

Might even be at Baum!

I’ve been thinking this about TT all year, there is no way that they hit all those home runs against SEC pitching. The best HR teams are either AR or FL.

Clemson is second in the nation in HRs with 91, 10 more than we have. ACC is not quite as good as SEC but is a whole lot better than the Ohio Valley. However, Clemson did tweak its park in 2015; home plate was moved 10 feet forward, making it 10 feet closer to the fence.

We’re currently tied for third in the nation with Kentucky after hitting three last night. Florida is tied for fifth, one behind us.

Hmmmm…be interesting to know what Coastal Carolina’s RPI was the year they won it.

Their final RPI (after they won it all) was 5th. They were the 2 seed in the North Carolina State regional that year, so you can surmise that they were probably in that 17-32 RPI range before the tournament.

I didn’t reference Tenn Tech’s RPI in the OP - just their SOS.

For the record, their current RPI is at 21 as I type this (per Nolan; 1 notch behind Texas). That will probably settle in somewhere between 18 and 25 by the time the NCAA Tournament begins, making them a solid #2 seed somewhere.

Does anybody know off the top of their head what size ballpark Tenn. Tech plays in? I agree with everybody that said they wouldn’t put up those numbers in the SEC. Eye-opening nonetheless. Moreover, is it a couple of guys with outrageous HR numbers or is there power in their lineup from top to bottom? I’m sure I could look this up myself and find it, but you guys are a wealth of knowledge. :smiley:

Clemson had a real good inning last night as well.

I looked it up earlier in the season. The dimensions are pretty standard. 330 down the lines, 360 and 365 to the power alleys, 400 to center. Not high altitude either, about 1100 feet (Fayetteville is 1400). But prevailing winds may be a factor. Their ballpark is laid out so that home plate is at the southeast corner and center field is northwest, so a south wind would favor a lot of homers to right field. And Weatherspark.com indicates that they have a prevailing south wind.

They have five guys with double digit homers, topping out at 17, and four others with more than 5. But only one of those double-digit guys is a lefty. We have four in double figures, led by Martin and Cole with 12, and three more with 5+.

Someone who has seen several games in their ballpark said that he has felt for a while that the distances on their field were inflated just a bit, to his eye. Plus, he said, the ball just carries well there (for visitors as well as the home team).