Tech DUI

Almost cost us this game. I think I would rather have faced the drunk QB.

More than likely with an expanded playbook, La Tech would have been more than one point better with Higgins. As a La Tech fan, I was encouraged for the future with the play of Smith, though. He’s got potential. While I’ve got my La Tech hat on, Arkansas held on the winning TD throw on fourth down. Nonetheless, gutsy throw by Allen.

Are you the same Niels that has posted on HI forever? Never knew you weren’t a Hog fan.

I’ve rooted avidly for both teams since birth essentially. My father is an Arkansan and zealous Arkansas fan who went to graduate school at La Tech when I was a toddler. My first memories that involve sports were attending La Tech football and basketball games in Ruston. The tune from the La Tech fight song has been stuck in my head my entire life.

Like Agim, however, I was born in Hope, where my grandparents lived my entire life. In fact, my uncle, an Arkansas grad who was friends with Lance Alworth, was the head football coach at Hope for a time. I have deep, long-time connections to both programs. I would just as soon they not play in football again for a long time. It could be worse, though. The other side of my family is all LSU, which didn’t take. And Arkansas fans should have respected La Tech more than they did. :wink:

Yes they should have!

laTech was a very tough team for a first game with a new QB and Oline. This was personal for Skip and Lou

SMILE, Lou, ya’ll lost.

Crack a joke.

You can call holding on almost every play. I have seen the photo of the “hold” I haven’t gone back and looked closely at the play in actual motion. Fans are fans, but some posters who have gone back and watched it say it wasn’t a hold. I am sure it mostly depends on who you were rooting for.

I am pretty dang sure there were holds that could have been called on Tech that weren’t.

No, it was a hold. I thought it was a hold before Allen even threw the ball, and I’ve since seen replays from an end zone camera. An Arkansas OL had a fistful of jersey on the shoulder pad of a Tech defender right in front of Allen. It was a hold that affected the play. La Tech fans can rightly grouse. I doubt it was the only missed call on the day, but it was missed.

It very well might have been a hold, but the officials had called one holding penalty all day. As the previous poster said, holding could be called on just about every play. If officials are going to call holding on a play late in the game they need to be calling it all game long on both teams. Both teams could have been penalized multiple times for holding. It is kind of like when a ref decides to call palming in basketball. It is a complete joke when it is called.

Why? To win by more than 1? 1-0

I’m not sure what your point is. If it’s about the respect, there were a lot of confident 50 - 10 type predictions during the week, which annoyed me. As I said during the week, because of the unknowns on both sides I considered a wide range of outcomes equally possible from an Arkansas blowout to a tight game as the fourth quarter began.

I’m not even sure what holding is anymore. I understand a blocker can grab a fist full of jersey as long as his hands are against his chest. I have no opinion on the play in question other than to agree with Greg that holding can be called on just about every play (at least as the way I used to understand holding.) Everyone tends to focus on calls/non-calls that happen on crucial plays, but often other plays are just as crucial but we don’t realize it because we don’t know what would’ve happened afterward with a different decision by the ref.

[quote=“Neastarkie”]
I’m not even sure what holding is anymore. I understand a blocker can grab a fist full of jersey as long as his hands are against his chest. I have no opinion on the play in question other than to agree with Greg that holding can be called on just about every play (at least as the way I used to understand holding.) Everyone tends to focus on calls/non-calls that happen on crucial plays, but often other plays are just as crucial but we don’t realize it because we don’t know what would’ve happened afterward with a different decision by the ref.
[/quote]

Exactly. If a defensive holding gets called earlier in the drive, just for instance, maybe we’re in the end zone at that point instead of facing fourth and goal. Or maybe there was an uncalled offensive holding earlier that would have killed the drive completely.