TCU fan perspectives on visit to NW Arkansas

Some very nice comments about our fans and the area. Not so nice comments about the stadium and concessions.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php? … le.210424/”>http://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/fayetteville.210424/</LINK_TEXT>

I hope they enjoyed their trip and got home safe. No one was happpy with concessions!

I was really surprised to hear the concessions company never working a stadium. What was Long thinking there?

No surprise it was a disaster.

The concessions bid is awarded by the university, not the athletics department. The trustees sign off on all bids.

It’s not accurate to say the concession vendor, Levy, has never worked sporting events. It is a brand-name in the concessions market and has several bids at professional sporting venues, such as Wrigley Field and Churchill Downs, and college football stadiums at Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and others, which makes its debut at Arkansas pretty puzzling.

Likely the same thing he was thinking when he agreed to a massive buyout for a guy who has yet to win more than 7 regular season games at the UA.

Which is to say, not much.

So Matt, you are saying that what Wally today quoted Jeff Long as saying wasn’t true, or was the phrasing wrong since he wrote “Long said they are aware of the problems, that the new vendor had never worked a game, and they are working on it.”?

Or perhaps it was because they had never worked a game at Arkansas.

It doesn’t always have to be the worst case scenario.

They had never worked a game at Arkansas.

Of course if he had a low buyout and Bret was a hot commodity people would raise hell about the low buyout.

Who was attempting to steal Bret after a 3-9 and 6-6 season?

I’m saying now. It’s easy now to say it was bad decision.

[quote=“RichardDavenport”]

Of course if he had a low buyout and Bret was a hot commodity people would raise hell about the low buyout.
[/quote]Oh how I wish that were the case. I would love for Bret to be a hot commodity. It would mean success on the football field.

Richard, who was Arkansas bidding against when Long agreed to the buyout?

I have yet to see this answered. I suspect the answer is nobody and as such the buyout is a colossal business mistake and arguably the worst mistake in the athletic department since passing on Bill Self.

Now it is a horrible decision. Then it was a very bad decision. That’s my thoughts at least, I couldn’t believe that the extension was given. But I’ve also never bought into CBB, his record at Wisconsin was great, but when you read between the lines you saw a horrible big 10, the best teams were down, he had bad performances and record against ranked teams, and also inherited a great program.

Oh well, no sense in being too mad about it anymore. We are where we are, he’s here on borrowed time, and I think everyone is realizing it.

It isn’t a bad decision, it is a complete lack of business sense if were agreed to a buyout when nobody was coming after CBB.

[quote=“Qwert66”]

Now it is a horrible decision. Then it was a very bad decision. That’s my thoughts at least, I couldn’t believe that the extension was given. But I’ve also never bought into CBB, his record at Wisconsin was great, but when you read between the lines you saw a horrible big 10, the best teams were down, he had bad performances and record against ranked teams, and also inherited a great program.

[/quote]You’re exactly correct.
Has Wisconsin missed a beat since CBB left? Were Wisconsin fans sad to see him go?

I think you’ll find the answers to both of those questions to be No.

More than you would think.

You really don’t think he can coach or recruit or can not recruit here and play the sch we are playing

[quote=“hog2009”]

they sure were whining when he left, I read the board back then and they were pissed!

[quote=“donwells”]

They didn’t realize the next man up would be a better option. As will the next after him I assume. The AD (former coach) secured that program for years to come.

[quote=“hog2009”]

There has been some interest from the NFL. College wise I can’t say. The buyout is not out of the norm for other coaches around the country with similar success. I would say the vast majority of buyouts are put in place before others come after your coach. The list below sure indicates that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n … /92417648/

Good lord, do you want to have your HC mentioned in every off-season coaching hunt? No!

I can’t believe I am using the language of Wally Hall, but his words today were spot on - what CBB inherited was more than broken, it was shattered. An uphill battle when things are good equals an unbelievable journey when they are not. How many around here posted about Ole Miss something like, “they turned it around too quickly to have done it legally.” I do not want my alma mater or my favorite team to enjoy a year or two of success only to have several years dripping with misery following that success. Heck, did that with Petrino and hated it.

What we as fans cannot see, but folks within the athletic department can/could see, and those in football in general can/could see, is whether the structure for a long-term successful program happen to be in place. That is what Long was buying out - the belief that the way this is being built is correct. I see few whispers from outside the fanbase that CBB is in over his head. Those that declare him on a “hot seat” are not those I pay much attention to - those that have the power to turn up the heat appear to be in a holding pattern.

We have to be real here - CBB has been given almost free reign over the program. The telling moment will be if Long meets with CBB after the season and asks for changes (in return for another year). A purge of assistant coaches, a radical shift in organizational philosophy, etc., will tell us Long has stepped in. Until then, we have to assume that Long believes in the vision of the program.

As disappointed as I am with the results, and as confused as I am about the machinations behind the scenes that result in what we can see, I read the negative posts and find them so comical I wind up supporting something I have reservations about! If you see a group of fools you tend to avoid them, even if it sends you into undesired territory, I guess.