Sunday scrimmage notes

Blake Adams struggled today against a lineup of mostly starters. I say mostly because Casey Opitz didn’t catch today, so he played for the other team at first base and was replaced by Cason Tollett behind the plate.

Adams threw 3 innings and allowed 6 runs on 6 hits and a walk. He struck out 4 batters.

Only half of the runs were earned against Adams because of a one-out error by third baseman Jesse Pierce in the second inning. The error allowed a run to score and Heston Kjerstad hit a two-run home run to the opposite field later in the inning.

Assuming Caleb Bolden’s outing is finished, he pitched well in three innings. He retired the first eight batters he faced before a two-out walk to Curtis Washington in the third inning. Bolden struck out four, including two looking.

Shortstop Cullen Smith, who isn’t eligible this year, has made a lot of good defensive plays the past few weeks, but the one he made in the fifth today was the best.

With Matt Goodheart on third and Casey Martin on second and one out in the inning, Jacob Nesbit hit a hot shot up the middle. Smith dove to his left and gloved the ball off a hop while airborne. He hopped to his feet and threw out Nesbit at first. It saved a run because the next batter tapped back to the pitcher to end the inning, stranding Martin at third base.

I know our pitchers will be glad to see the season start so they don’t have to face this offense… you make mistake they make you pay for it. I hope they can do that in the season.

I was looking at our roster today and didn’t realize who he was until I pulled up his bio kids a heck of a player transferring from East Tennessee State where he started every game and hit .304 with 7 home runs. he will be a very valuable player next year with Martin leaving

Baseball most of the time comes down to pitching, those that have it win and those that don’t have it lose. Good pitching will beat good hitting most of the time.
Maybe the Hogs have an elite hitting lineup this season, but we won’t know that until they start hitting pitchers from other teams.
Hopefully, we have good enough pitching this season, but we simply just don’t know that at this time.
We will all find out together as the season gets going.

When you have a little bit of good pitching and hitting you win a lot more!

It’s the third time they’ve seen the pitcher’s. They should hit them.What you don’t want is walks.Walks will get you a seat by DVH.

They saw Campbell three times last February and did not hit him. As they say, good pitching shuts down good hitting.

Pitching will make or break us… we lost a lot of good arms…we supposedly have a lot of good arms coming back, they will just have to go out prove it.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.