Sunday Adebayo

He was a little bit before my time seeing I was too young and didn’t know much about sports at the time but I looked the guy up and found out he played for Memphis as well… 1995-96\tArkansas\tJr\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-
1996-97\tMemphis\tSr\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-
1997-98\tArkansas… How was it possible that he could play for Arkansas then Memphis then Arkansas? I’m really curious how that worked out

Strangest case I can recall. He was part of a historic class of BB recruits (the year after Corliss, Scotty, Corey, etc left) that was JUCO heavy: Jesse Pate, Sunday, Marcus Saxon, Pat Bradley and few other guys I can’t remember. It was ranked by some as the #1 class in America. Pate, Sunday and Saxon were all JUCO AAs to some degree with Pate being the icing on the cake. Long story short the NCAA ruled that the transcripts (I know Dudley knows the story much better) and other improprieties were found on the Pate (who was a our leading scorer through half the season) and Saxon (who never played a game).

So Sunday transferred to Memphis after the season, then the NCAA ruled that they were wrong in Sunday’s case, and he transferred back without losing any eligibility. After that we self-imposed how many JUCO’s we would recruit (or maybe it was the NCAA) and that really hurt Nolan who prided himself on identifying those “JUCO dogs” for his system. That ruling, the rise of AAU handlers and his feud with Broyles led to the mighty Razorback BB program downfall.

Kareem Poole, Antwan Hall, Derek Hood, Marlon Towns, Kareem Reed (who was already here but academically ineligible) were newcomers as well. Poole, along with Saxon, never made it to Fayetteville.

Well you made me feel old. I could write books about this. Others have probably explained it in the thread but basically the NCAA botched it horribly, came back and said they were wrong and gave him the ability to come back–mainly because of their error.

The JUCO thing may have cost us another FF in '95-'96. That team was coming together when Pate and Adebayo got suspended. We had won 5 of 6, including a home-and-home split with FF participant MSU. We then went toe-to-toe with 34-2 and eventual NC UK at Rupp in the last game with the full roster. We lost by 15, but the game was closer than the final score. Pate and Adbayo both played well at UK. I always found the timing suspicious that they got suspended right after we gave UK a scare on their floor. They were expecting to dominate us from start to finish. We probably win that game in BWA. UK’s only losses were to two other FF teams that season. We beat two ranked teams in the NCAAT after having to adjust playing without them in the last few weeks of the season.

It certainly cost us an NCAAT bid with perhaps a top-4 seed the following season. Otherwise, CNR would have had a run of 14 straight NCAAT tournament appearances. The whole mess got dragged out for so long that it also cost us Ryan Humphrey for '97-'98. That team won 24 games and lost in the second round to eventual NC-Runnerup Utah in a controversial game. Reportedly a lot of the investigation and penalties were self-imposed by Broyles. Given what was going on in recruiting, the infractions were laughable to have had that big an impact on the program. There’s a good chance that CNR makes another run at a title without that mess, and CMA inherits a program on a roll in the early 2000’s or late 90’s.

Too much heat and competition we brought to Kentucky
and Duke and similar powerful programs might well have been part of the equation.

Didn’t a lawyer from Fayetteville, repressented Sunday and sued the NCAA and won? That was the reason NCAA admitted their mistake

Something no one has yet mentioned . . . The NCAA screwed it up so badly in this case that even though Sunday had used up his 4th year of eligibility playing at Memphis, they gave him a FIFTH year in addition to allowing him to transfer back to Arkansas and be eligible without having to sit out a year.

Unprecedented. That tells you all you need to know about how badly he - and our program - were screwed by this episode.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-0 … s-arkansas

Response: Ah Larry Finch most noted as a player for Memphis that led the tigers to the NCAA basketball finals. Back in the Nolan era the nineties CNR had his way with the recruitment of Memphis high school players, to the extent Larry Finch was made the head coach to stop CNR. Sunday Adebayo a JUCO highly regarded player drew the attention of Arkansas/Nolan, Memphis/Finch in addition to other schools. However it came down to those two schools and NCR received the commitment from Sunday. Finch/Memphis filed a recruiting violation against Arkansas to the NCAA. The NCAA opened an investigation Sunday end-up playing that year with Memphis. It took almost a year to clear Ark from any wrongdoing although the damage had already been done. The NCAA cleared Sunday to go back to the original school of his choice Arkansas to play his last year out, Emeka Okafor one of the top centers in the country signed with Connecticut instead of Arkansas for some strange reason it never made it to the national media that Arkansas was cleared hence other schools recruiters still used the investigation as a recruiting tool against Arkansas

I was at the Memphis/Arkansas game in Bud Walton and it was surreal. Sunday got a huge standing ovation and I remember it lasting for a bit. He walked around and waved at the crowd. Very similar to the first time Mike Anderson came back to Bud after getting hired by Mizzou.

I always wonder who turned this in to NCAA tournament I always thought of 2 coaches who could have, we were beating their teams real bad durning that time

What was really ridiculous was that Dontae Jones led MissStake to the SECT championship and the FF that season. He earned 36 hours of college credits that summer to get eligible out of JUCO. Adebayo was a good student that got suspended.

[quote=“BiffMalibu”]

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Something no one has yet mentioned . . . The NCAA screwed it up so badly in this case that even though Sunday had used up his 4th year of eligibility playing at Memphis, they gave him a FIFTH year in addition to allowing him to transfer back to Arkansas and be eligible without having to sit out a year.

Unprecedented. That tells you all you need to know about how badly he - and our program - were screwed by this episode.

Sunday was a JC transfer, who had to take one last summer class to graduate and be eligible at Arkansas. The NCAA rule was that if we had not received the transfer’s transcript from the JC but were expecting it, Sunday could practice with the team for up to 10 days until it arrived. So UA let Sunday practice before his transcript proving his eligibility arrived.

Problem was, the JC had sent a transcript at the end of the spring which showed Sunday needed that one last summer class. The NCAA rule said he could practice if we didn’t have a transcript yet, but declared Sunday ineligible at Arkansas because he practiced while UA had a transcript that said he was not eligible (yet). Sunday practiced a few teams in the preseason before the eligibility transcript arrived, but was penalized because some clerk at the JC sent a transcript too soon.

The NCAA allowed Sunday a 5th year at Arkansas when they realized how foolish their original decision had been. Neither Sunday nor Arkansas gained anything by letting him practice, knowing the eligibility transcript was on its way, because the Admissions office had a transcript that wasn’t going to be used.

Dontae Jones’ thirst for knowledge was unquenchable. I’m surprised he has not been awarded a Nobel Prize in physics yet.

Not enough money in it.