Such bad coaching/defense

we couldn’t guard them man to man yet he stubbornly clung to it all game. There goes another guard past Gafford and Thompson.

SMDH…Where was the zone?

They played the matchup quite a bit. My guess is he got out of it bc they kept hitting 3s and the few times they missed we failed to rebound.

They scored–often late in the clock and often contested–regardless of what we were in defensively.

But, they also broke us down as most teams with good guards did all year. One difference is Gafford wasn’t a great rim protector today. He was a step slow helping and he was also late on rotations all day–just a really rough game for him.

And THIS post describes what hurt us on D all year
Our guards couldn’t keep the ball handler in front of them.
No Manny Watkins.
Let’s hope one or two of those guys are on their way.

The offense was as much a problem as the defense. You can’t beat anybody in the NCAAT if you shoot under 40% and have your three leading scorers go 9 of 30. Not scoring drains energy from the defense. We missed open treys, while they drained three contested treys at the end of the shot clock. As soon as Martin hit that one from three-quarters court at the buzzer, I knew we might as well load up the bus. That was only the 6th time in 35 games that we scored under 1 point per possession.

D was horrendous.

Yup. That’s it. Not all the other talk. Not the defense. Not the coaching. Not the effort. Not the lack of fundamentals.

They lost because they shot horribly and the other team hit big shots–contested and uncontested.

But, I get it. Fire the coach. He’s awful. Same 4-5 ppl. Same after every loss.

Okay…we lost to the better team. But coaching matters and to me we got out coached. Butler was better prepared why? We got down real early due to poor defense and we never really totally recovered.

Whatever the reason(s), coaching and/or players, Butler is the better team. That is why they were favored to win. Actually this year is about as good as can be expected for Arkansas. It is just a fact of life that most years teams like LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, TA&M and probably Auburn can recruit better than Arkansas. And, with so many seniors and DG leaving, next year will probably be a down year so I doubt that we get invited to the NCAAT. However, year after next, Arkansas may be even better than this year.

Scoring 2 points in the first 8 minutes might have had something to do with that horrendous 21 - 2 start. We don’t lose contact if we just score a few points. Giving up 20 points in the first 10 minutes unfortunately isn’t that rare an occurrence for us. UF did it in the SECT in a game that we won by by 8. Our offense in the first eight minutes being one Adrio Bailey jumper is rare.

PIG, we got out rebounded by 19 and beat by a well-coached team. I can live with it because that’s what I have come to expect from Anderson after seven years… he’s a good but not great coach. My fear is we’re completely rebuilding next year and probably going to struggle early and may not make the Dance (especially if Gafford leaves). If that’s the case, the relative small number of Anderson detractors will grow at an alarming rate and eight years in starting over will not satisfied many Hog fans. My question to you, what are your expectations for Anderson to keep you happy heading into year eight? A honest question not to flame but to gauge your thoughts. I will flip to the dark side if we don’t make the dance next year and it will get ugly for CMA if that’s the result. If you can’t get to the second round with a team full of seniors, a team relying on a bunch of freshmen is not going very far in a SEC full of experience teams coming back.

So was offense. Our offense clicks when we play strong defense.

I thought it was mostly man that we played, but whatever it was - just as it has been the past few years is pick our C, the bad switch leads to a layup or us scrambling around until a open 3 pt shot.

Gafford was especially bad today. Like he had concrete in his shoes (Beard too).

Other than us shooting horribly and them hitting a ton, that was the biggest difference, IMO. Gafford was manhandled and forced bad shots in response rather than working for good post position and playing better interior defense.

The same 5-10 posters that brow beat everyone that says ANY thing critical about Anderson. The same 5-10 posters blame the players for all of the problems and NEVER admit that the defense and offense do not work ALL the time in today’s basketball. The same 5-10 are a hair trigger away from an excuse for their sacred cow coach. This blind fanship leads to downward trending program so we better hope the new players are good enough to overcome the weak coaching next year.

[quote=“HogTreat”]

The same 5-10 posters that brow beat everyone that says ANY thing critical about Anderson. The same 5-10 posters blame the players for all of the problems and NEVER admit that the defense and offense do not work ALL the time in today’s basketball. The same 5-10 are a hair trigger away from an excuse for their sacred cow coach. This blind fanship leads to downward trending program so we better hope the new players are good enough to overcome the weak coaching next year.

[/quote] I’ve noticed that as well. The Gestapo like clamping down on this board on any comments about MA’s obvious poor coaching is why I’m cancelling my subscription to this site.

[quote=“fatback”]

I’ve heard that a lot lately at the watch party I attended.

D was horrendous.

Anyone associated with Sutton or Richardson D, which was our trademark, deserves an apology.

Mike can stay forever to get past second round of tourney, but his teams at least as evidenced this year, don’t care about D like our previous heritage.

And I love how much Mike loves this program and is doing his best.

But the D showing today was beyond bad.

And the first round blowout was embarrassing for this program even if it can be explained away.

Everyone tries and that’s great and we love the program.

This program needs to be mad at what happened today and demonstrate a plan so it never happens again.

That’s what I expect from leadership of a program we love.

[quote=“HogTreat”]

Hilarious. The guys who rip anyone and everyone are the biggest snowflakes when anyone disagrees with them. Man up. Seriously. Bunch of drama queens.

Agree.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]

Agree.

[/quote] how can u agree with this post & not be upset with the lack of D we showed this game, this year & during Mike’s tenure. The answer is you can’t. I think you’re missing something.