Steve Caldwell

A couple of sources think Caldwell might stay at Arkansas but not as a coach. Nothing firm on that but that’s what they’re thinking.

Take Bobby Allen’s place, I wonder

I wonder if part of that might also be based on composition of our coaching staff? Coach Caldwell and Coach Ingram split the defensive line the last two years, but at Georgia Tray Scott has the whole defensive line, I think. Might be the plan here as well, regardless of who coaches that position group.

I see your point, and it’s a valid one, but with 10 coaches the assignments can be more detailed. You can almost assign a coach to every position (QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DT, DE, LB, DB, S) if the coordinators also coach a position, and most do.

Getting back to Richard’s OP, the WHS story this morning, with Matt as co-author, said the assistants are assigned to administrative duties outside the football office until Jan. 15 when their employment terminates, and are not to contact any athletes or recruits unless directed by HY. Obviously Caldwell has been so directed. And he may remain in an administrative role, it seems.

Or could he become one of the “Defensive analysts” that look at both the team and upcoming opponents.

1 Like

I could see only needing one DL coach if you are going to run a 3-4/3-3-5 as your base defense. Not sure if Caldwell has ever coached OLBs, or if you would end up with one OLB coach and one ILB coach. A lot of this may depend on what the DC wants, recruiting needs, etc.

He has his OL coach, which is obviously fine for him to do that before the OC comes on board. IMO, his next 2 hires need to be the OC and DC. Then together, with CSP, they quickly choose their assistants.

Sounds like Coach Shepp is recruiting Texas with CSP right now.

1 Like