Stats from last night

Looking at the stats last night, we surprisingly were close in rebounds, although I think we got a lot when the game was out of reach. Other than the free shot discrepancy where they shot at a 90% clip the other stat that stood out to me was the three point percentage, they took mostly open threes and made us pay at a high clip. Tennessee will not be a easy out going forward with the way they play, so a loss was not surprising. Hopefully we learn from games like this, and see where cheap fouls and defensive breakdowns cost us. It seemed to me that we paid dearly when we rushed and took less than great shots early in the possession. I think we can expect some of this with a younger team, we just have to take these lessons and go forward.

One other thing, I saw in the stats was attendance reported as over 19,000. Hopefully we can develop the kind of product on the court that brings us back to this level of interest.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

Looking at the stats last night, we surprisingly were close in rebounds, although I think we got a lot when the game was out of reach. Other than the free shot discrepancy where they shot at a 90% clip the other stat that stood out to me was the three point percentage, they took mostly open threes and made us pay at a high clip. Tennessee will not be a easy out going forward with the way they play, so a loss was not surprising. Hopefully we learn from games like this, and see where cheap fouls and defensive breakdowns cost us. It seemed to me that we paid dearly when we rushed and took less than great shots early in the possession. I think we can expect some of this with a younger team, we just have to take these lessons and go forward.

One other thing, I saw in the stats was attendance reported as over 19,000. Hopefully we can develop the kind of product on the court that brings us back to this level of interest.

[/quote]Watching the game, it sounded like that place was rocking. It was loud. I don’t hear that kind of loud at BWA. Oh, I know it’s capable of being loud, but it seems as though our fans are sitting on their hands most of the time. I know part of that is the product they are seeing, but I also saw a sign in our student section the other day that said, “Old people make some noise.” It seems as though we are so spoiled by previous years that fans are sitting back and waiting for something to happen instead of rocking the house from the beginning. IDK. Just the difference I hear in telecasts.

[quote=“SoArkHog”]

I actually agree with you about the fans. I remember during MayDay, we’d be down and the crowd would get hyped and then the team would. Now it seems like if the team doesn’t make some kind of big play the crowd is quiet and lethargic. Kids are trying to pump up the crowd, instead of the crowd pumping up the kids.

The stats tell part of the story!
Free throws Tennessee made 35
Hogs made 11

Turnovers. Tennessee. Scored 35 points off turnovers where we walked and threw the ball around off turnovers. Tennessee had there share of turnovers we just didn’t take care of the ball and score off them.

We were -1 on rebounds but when a team shoots above 50% that’s not a true way to evaluate rebounds.

The young hogs were outmatched by a senior laden team.

The open 3’s they made has become part of what gets the hogs beat just like commuting fouls 40 or more feet from the basket. Stop fouling and play solid defense.

The fair weather fans of Arkansas fail to support our hogs when they get beat. No matter what I’m a hog fan!

The sun may come out at some point today and it’s not the end of the world. Our young hogs will get it going and win some games going forward.