State of the SEC Hogs - Bielema era

SEC Record of every SEC West team since Coach Bielema’s arrival (includes 2016)

ALABAMA…26- 3
LSU…17-11
AUBURN…16-12
OLE MISS…15-13
TEXAS A&M…15-14
MISSISSIPPI STATE…14-14
ARKANSAS… 8-20

His first 2 years were fixing issues. What about the last 2 years?

I guess you could say other coaches were “fixing issues” as Gus (yr 4) came in to put out a Chizik fire and you could say that about Freeze (yr 5) who came in after a winless SEC season & dumpster fire with Nutt and Sumlin who also replaced a fired coach…it is what it is…

I’m not sure I’d use Freeze to prove your point. He’s trending down and the NCAA hasn’t gotten its pound of flesh.

Like most of your posts, this shows your agenda and not much else.

There are some valid, anti CBB points to be found in the numbers. But, boiling everything down and ignoring what he inherited detracts from any valid points you could have made.

Disregard any comments then and JUST go strictly with the records…as noted, “IT IS WHAT IT IS!”… It may be perfectly fine, legitimate and explainable… and I am sure it is… GO FOR IT!.. The records ARE the records. Make what YOU want of it and we’ll let everyone else do the same…

It is what it is, a simplistic look at a complex issue. Are you a Democrat :lol:

excellent post. this is what everyone should be talking about. i mean besides basketball.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]

I’m not sure I’d use Freeze to prove your point. He’s trending down and the NCAA hasn’t gotten its pound of flesh.

Like most of your posts, this shows your agenda and not much else.

There are some valid, anti CBB points to be found in the numbers. But, boiling everything down and ignoring what he inherited detracts from any valid points you could have made.
[/quote]Man, those were good ole days when Houston D. Nutt got to beat Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina every year or so. No such luck anymore. Great stat padding back then.

To quote our head coach “you are who your record says you are.”

Seriously, it’s funny to listen to Bo and he keeps saying “Arkansas is 11-4 in its last 15 games!!!” Obviously, he’s using a set period of time to cast the coach in a more favorable light.

Speaking of more recent trends we’re 1-3 in our last 4 SEC games with the three losses coming by double digits.

Be wary of stats - they can be so easily spun.

[quote=“JacksonReid”]
To quote our head coach “you are who your record says you are.”

Seriously, it’s funny to listen to Bo and he keeps saying “Arkansas is 11-4 in its last 15 games!!!” Obviously, he’s using a set period of time to cast the coach in a more favorable light.

Speaking of more recent trends we’re 1-3 in our last 4 SEC games with the three losses coming by double digits.

Be wary of stats - they can be so easily spun.
[/quote]what is so wrong with a favorable light? We have at least 13 teams in our conference, a jealous fan base at a school in NE Arkansas, among others, who love tearing our program down, so a little favorable light every now and then might be nice.

I am sure this gets me cast, as the naysayers refer, as a sunshine pumper, but that is ok. I am ok with the fact that when my Hogs loose and even when slaughtered that I am not any less than I would be if they had won. Dissappointed yes, less no.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

There is nothing wrong with it - but again its spin. The original poster gets criticized for posting Bielema’s SEC record and accused of having an agenda. Perhaps he does, but what’s Bo’s agenda for continually pointing to the record of the last 15 games? If the Hogs finish 2-6 in conference play will he alter his narrative?

Personally I think the first year should be discounted entirely and the second year as well. Years three and four should be weighted most heavily as more and more Bielema recruits are playing and HIS culture/beliefs embedded in the program.

That’s why I am so concerned. I expected in year four to have a big, nasty OL that imposes its will on people and for us to play clean…in other words be what Bielema said we’d be and what he guaranteed he’d build. Is that too much to ask? If you pay someone $4.3mm a year and give him the security of a one sided $17mm buyout is it wrong to question why the things he committed to do are are not happening this far along in to his tenure?

LOL! Let’s make America (& Arkansas) great again!..

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

To a certain extent, I agree with you that year ONE should be discounted although it was only one year removed from a team that finished 6-2 (2nd in W) in the SEC so be careful with that assessment. The reason I believe it s/b discounted is because of a radical transformation in philosophy. We converted from a high profile, futuristic, wide open offense to a “ground & pound”. It takes time for all of that to occur, but regardless, the record is posted only for information purposes with no agenda, only to show “where we are”. How long does a transformation (I don’t want to call it a rebuild) take? …just asking cause year 4 seems like it should be when it does occur…IMO

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

Maybe he likes Bielema , maybe he thinks he is the right man for the job or maybe both. In any event, he chooses a more positive approach. I find it interesting for so many to bring the huge salaries into the discussion as being a key point, but it is kind of misplaced. Any coach is going to make millions and most of us don’t, so it only tends to be a polarizing rallying point. Also I remember when others were looking at some of the assistants garnering attention from other programs and we were coming off an optimistic close to the season, many wanted to open the check books (probably a lot of the same ones who use the salaries as rationale for huge expectations).

Bielema is not beyond question or beyond being fired at some point, but because we got lucky in the midst of many mediocre hires with Holtz and Petrino, it is not a sure thing. Holtz flamed out at Arkansas and Petrino, in my opinion was on the same path. I do not think he is a program builder, the Louisville team is a solid team partly because of his offensive genius and partly because Charlie Strong left him the foundation of what he has no record of having, a defense. I recognize that building the Arkansas program for other than some random flashes of success is not a short term project and while it is not certain who is the right person to build a sustainable program, butI am willing to see if it is not Bret. Worst case scenario, he leaves the program in far better shape than he found it. Seems many are more focused on short term results, which I know results are important, but so is building a solid program for years to come.

But I am not focused on short term results - I’m concerned by the gaping holes on our roster in year four of his tenure. Too heck with going 0-8 in SEC play in his first year! Ancient history!

Why are we so poor at running the ball and stopping the run this far in?!? This program, supposedly built on physical toughness and controlling the line of scrimmage as its foundation, is getting bullied against the better SEC teams!

The bottom line to this point is that Bielema’s Hogs have improved every year under his leadership. Some will say this year is down, but compared to this time last year, our record is better and if we finish strong we will have improved on last year. So, until this year is over, I will reserve judegment until the next four games have been played.

Agree, CBB’s Hogs have traditionally finished the year much stronger than they started…only problem is, Saturday did not in any way suggest that is what will happen this year. Thank GOD we’ve had the Allen brothers to tote us the last couple years…

Voice of reason and common sense, what a concept :smiley:
Let’s wait and see what happens next 4, Hogs can still finish 9-3!

Voice of reason and common sense, what a concept :smiley:
Let’s wait and see what happens next 4, Hogs can still finish 5-7! :frowning:

You’re right. No one knows how it will play out. All we have to go by is past performance. Which game(s) suggest 9-3 finish and which games suggest otherwise?..

I don’t have a clue, from 34-30 to 3-56! Not predicting 9-3, would be shocked! I’m not convinced this team can win two straight SEC on the road regardless of competition…split out would be 7-5. :sunglasses: