State of the Hogs: Phoning a friend

Here you go:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019 … ng-friend/

Thank you for a great article and life lesson. I take away some confidence from the insights provided by the knowledgeable sources you quoted. This is exactly the kind of reporting we all value so much on this site. I sent the article to my 31 year old son this morning so he could benefit from the football and life nuggets contained therein. I don’t think any of us expect a great season, but I do expect recognizable improve in all areas. Just improving special teams, quarterback, team speed, and wide receiver could increase our win total significantly. I’m 65 and know that getting to where we all want to be will not happen quickly. We just need some optimism. Thank you for providing me some! Go Hogs.

Thank you for a great article and life lesson. I take away some confidence from the insights provided by the knowledgeable sources you quoted. This is exactly the kind of reporting we all value so much on this site. I sent the article to my 31 year old son this morning so he could benefit from the football and life nuggets contained therein. I don’t think any of us expect a great season, but I do expect recognizable improvement in all areas. Just improving special teams, quarterback, team speed, and wide receiver could increase our win total significantly. I’m 65 and know that getting to where we all want to be will not happen quickly. We just need some optimism. Thank you for providing me some! Go Hogs.

Very encouraging article. The bottom line seems to be, if they can avoid injuries at critical positions, they might go bowling. I think they might need some help (bad game and some turnovers) from a Texas A&M or MissState as well.

Help is welcome. Getting to fourth quarter still within striking distance makes help from the other team a big deal. Might get you a win where you might not have expected it. As they say, hang around.

You captured my thoughts on this team very well. If they can avoid injuries, they could get significantly better by end of year and point on recruiting is also spot on.

Great article and I’m excited that the coaches see an improved squad and i would love for us to get to 6-7 wins for sure…I do agree with them about the DL as well I see a group that will be pretty good but will have a hard time stopping the run vs the Bama’s Tam LSU types b/c I don’t see a Bell cow up front. I think Sosa has great potential but he will be playing inside the whole game for the 1st time which means he will seeing DT a lot which is something he’s not used to at DE where he only had to beat 1 man most of the time so he may be overmatched against the big physical OL that will run right at him.
I think the secondary has more speed but is very inexperinced so I want to see if they can play the pressure D that Chavis plays, if we can this will be much improved defense! and if not I don’t see us being that much better but I am hoping we are!
Great job clay really enjoyed hearing that they see a much better team I am praying we will be b/c Chad Morris is a good man I want him to succeed here.

Thanks Clay. Great insights as usual. I did notice that you called Mr. O’Grady Cheyenne rather than CJ. A while back you said you would call him Cheyenne when he proved he was serious about football (or something like that).

I’m saying 6 wins maybe 7.

Man I loved this article!!! Thanks for sharing it Clay and really appreciate your approach. Gives me reasons to believe that we are a much improved team from last year and can’t wait to see what happens on the field! Thanks again for the great article.

Wow…phone a friend…just to listen.

(Hab 2.1)

Good to have friends. I love talking with these guys. But mainly I listen and learn. They have taught me a lot of football through the years.

One of the friends phoned back. He added a few things after reading the column – and he thought it was a fun read. Also had another interesting person send me a comment through an intermediary that said it was a good explanation of where the team is right now. OK, thank you.

The new thought that “a friend added” is that he thought the team looked more equipped physically to play in the SEC. He noticed more properly toned lineman and that means they had bulk and weight in the right spots to play their positions. He said that was on both sides of the ball. He said, “This team just looks the part now. They didn’t last year. I suspect that is just two years in Tru Carroll’s weight program. They’ll look even better in the next two years as better frames continue to arrive and Tru gets to work his stuff on them.”

Per usual, great read…

Encouraging to read that. Those guys are predicting realistic but much improved results. Every Razorback fan should consider 6 wins a success this year. Anything beyond that is gravy. Last year was humbling.