State of the Hogs: Hines was a great of his time

Here is a front-page commentary after the passing of Glen Ray Hines:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019 … t-his-day/

A great look at those times and the characters so important to the Hogs…

There were some characters.

I enjoyed reading this story about Glenn Ray Hines. I was 6 years old in Little Rock in 1964. Reading about Jerry Welch sparked a more recent memory for me.

My father, J.D. McGee, passed away Oct 21, 2018 at the age of 92. As is typical of those from my generation, my relationship with my father was more about respect and fear when I was a child. He was definitely not my “friend”. But in his later years we became friends, talking at least weekly, mostly about the Razorbacks and Cardinals. He shared lots of stories about his coaching days that I never knew. (His first job in LR was as a coach at Westside Jr Hi when Brooks Robinson was there.) Most of my growing up years he was the principal at Forrest Heights Jr Hi in Little Rock. He hired Pat Jones and Charles Ripley in back to back years, giving both of them their first “real” jobs. Previously, he had hired Sam Goodwin and Jerry Welch, so he put together a string of hiring excellent young coaches. He told me he knew they would have good football teams when he hired those guys. Jones and Ripley remained close friends of his and were honorary pall bearers. Coach Jones was not able to make it because of radio obligations, but I had a nice conversation with him about my dad. When I brought up those days and coaches at Forrest Heights he was the one that reminded me that Coach Welch was a part of that group too. Rip was able to be there and I got to visit with him. He was very weak because of his bout with colon cancer.

I don’t post a lot, and I realize this may be of little interest to most on here. But it feels good to share it and brag a little about my dad.

That was a good bunch of men that your dad hired and mentored. You know the role between coach and principal in those days was important. That’s who ran the schools in those days. Junior high boys need a lot of guidance and those men provided it.

Yes, I agree. Thank you.

I enjoyed the history lesson and it has real significance
for some of the building blocks of our school and state,
thanks for sharing.

I would have been 8 years old in 1964 and we would always listen to the Razorback games on the radio every Fall Saturday. I can still remember his name being called out on the radio along with the many other of my childhood razorback heroes. Enjoyed the article and yes it is sad to see that generation of players fading into the sunset.