State of the Hogs: Finishing on a 13

This is leaking out so I figured I better write something.

10 Likes

It would take me hours to write how I feel about Clay. He took a chance on me and gave me an opportunity in this business that allowed me to do things I always wanted to do. I owe him so much.

He is a mentor and has been a great friend. I can’t wait to see pictures of all the fish he catches.

13 Likes

well Clay you have been a good friend for a long time and I appreciate you allowing an old coach like me to share his thoughts.I have lost both you and Dudley from this board on the same day! I don’t lke it one bit but I wish you the very best,I will keep in touch with you,Thanks again for all you have done for Arkansas sports for all these yrs,you are the best! glad I can call you a friend.will be Praying for you…God bless

5 Likes

Thanks, Clay. You and the work you do have been my connection to the Razorbacks since about 2000 and many of those years I was out of state.

I would love to hear how the fishing is going. I love your fishing columns.

Good luck, Clay. Thank you for bringing bing the Razorbacks and Arkansas to me.

3 Likes

I hate that your leaving Clay, but I understand where your coming from with burnt out . I’ve gone through the same thing with my former job of 40 yrs.

2 Likes

Well deserved Clay. I can tell by your writing you’ve made the right choice. Appreciate all the hard and great work over the years. You, Dudley and others are why I’ve been a longtime member of this board. I’d do hope you’ll stick around here and that the “gone fishin” sign won’t be hanging on your door all the time. Hogs are winning and it’s a great time to be a fan. I ain’t leaving. Onward and upward for everyone!

3 Likes

Aloha Clay,
I’m grinning as I write this, I vividly remember you giving me grief a few months ago when I addressed about your pending retirement…”news to me” was your response. Whether you realize it or not, you put a few hints out there for fans like me who read every letter and sentence you write.
You’ve done good Clay. As you reflect back upon your brilliant career it’s marked with greatness every step you have taken. We are just the beneficiaries of your stellar writing and insight. Mahalo!
UA…Campus of Champions

3 Likes

Thanks, Clay. You are my most trusted resource for all things Razorback and you will be missed.

I am excited you will still write and visit the board. Both will be eagerly anticipated.

Wishing you every happiness and blessing in your life.

3 Likes

Clay, and DD I have no idea what to say.

And for Mike Tucker that says a lot…

And I just got my Builders License for the State of Arkansas.Going to start it again. Hate the retirement life…

3 Likes

First read your words - sports poetry, often - when you were in Tulsa, finding them as appealing as those of your friend, Bill Conner. Am I spelling Bill’s name correctly? Its been too many years since the Tulsa World had that type of writing. The older I get, the more I look for your writing that takes us away from the Hogs. It is the sign of your skill - you can weave a narrative about a trout, or a cup of coffee, just as easily as a ballgame.

Take it easy on those brownies - they don’t know what they are getting into!

4 Likes

Clay, you will be greatly missed on Whole Hog, HI. You’ve done a fantastic job in keeping HI rolling all these years, including the hiring and replacing of a great staff. Have a blast in your semi-retirement.

2 Likes

My father retired for the 3rd time at the end of March. He is 75. This time he actually had plans on how he would spend his time. Clay, I hope you and your family enjoy your retirement. You’ve earned it. I’ve always enjoyed reading your columns!

2 Likes

As someone who has been with you and Dudley for the full ride I can say that you will be missed.

3 Likes

I shouldn’t be surprised. I know it is a long drive for you to cover some of the sports at the U of A. But oh how you will be missed.

That said, your stories about friends and relationships have always been your best. I feel as though I’ve gotten to know so many people through them. If you ever come to a baseball game, you have an open invitation to join us at the BaumBQ Squad tailgate.

I know that you will enjoy your time hunting and fishing. But don’t forget to check in here.

6 Likes

Thanks for everything. Enjoy yourself. Always welcome to come hang around the grill. Always need volunteers at the food pantry. Peace to you.

6 Likes

Too stunned to even comment.
Without you and Dudley, this ship is taking on water. Outlook is very shaky.

4 Likes

Clay, you’ve been a good friend for a long time (I remember that guy in the photo…).

I’m supremely jealous. I’ve got at least another year before I’m able to retire. And you’re right, it’s harder and harder to maintain any semblance of interest or effort at work. Unlike you, I actually am mailing it in at this point.

But you enjoy walking Jean Ann into that stadium! You (and she) deserve it.

—Nick

4 Likes

You will be missed, but glad to know you will still be visiting the board. Will be glad to read your thoughts from a fan’s perspective. Happy retirement. You deserve it!

6 Likes

Clay, enjoy your retirement. You absolutely deserve it.

3 Likes

Congrats on your retirement Clay! Enjoyed reading both you and your dad.

3 Likes