Starting Lineups for Friday vs. LSU

LSU: An immensely talented and athletic team.

If we follow what Coach Muss said to the press this week, then the starting lineup possibilities are interesting.

1. Won’t be the same as Tennessee (Davis started in place of Toney)
  2. Bigger lineup (replace Davis with Kamani)
  3. Smaller lineup (replace Davis with Lykes)
  4. Players are practicing different positions
    Assumption: players who have not played significant minutes will not move to a starting position.

The challenges:
2. Kamani’s program height is not that much more than Davis’ but he is a bigger body. Does he have the speed to play defense at the 4 spot if JWill stays at the 5? Also, Kamani has played well off the bench. If you play JWill at the 4 does that take him away from the basket and negatively affect defensive rebounding?
3. If Lykes starts then you lose that spark off of the bench, especially ball handling and (sometimes) scoring. If you use Lykes at PG would that affect the middle pick and roll which JWill and JD have been running very effectively? Can Lykes rebound his position if he is guarding the other team’s 1 or 2 spot?
4. In the Tennessee game no lineup seemed effective until after halftime, so a player change wasn’t the only solution to slowing down Tennessee’s offense.

My prediction: If the Hog’s priorities are perimeter defense and rebounding, then Davis starts anyway and the rotation shortens to 7 players with Lykes and Kamani coming off the bench. Lots of coaches shorten the bench at tournament time, so a 7 man rotation is not a problem. Of course, the LSU matchups will dictate some of this, but it is fun to try and guess what Coach Muss will do.

1 Like

I think Kimani will start because if we don’t we will get killed on the boards worse than we did the last time. Toney is so valuable on both ends of the floor, it’s going to be very hard to beat LSU without him because he had about 18 points in that game and I don’t know where we’re going to get those pts from. This is just not a very good situation against a team as long and athletic as LSU but it is what it is.

1 Like

Devo is about due to have a good offensive game but we can’t go in counting on that to happen. I think the key to the game is who gets who in foul trouble first, Wade & Kamani need to play well and everyone else do what they do and I think we win again. WPS

1 Like

I don’t think it matters who starts. Eventually, Muss will insert Devo. He will either be on or he won’t. I think he has played better than what he did at the finish. He needs to get going for this team to flourish in March.

1 Like

Boy I agree with that Clay. Devo has to play and play well. If he’s not playing well he will get yanked. Rightfully so. But for our Hogs to make a run, Devo has to at least play well. Great would be better. But just well is a must. And when I say “well” I don’t mean he has to score alot. Just play Devo’s best level defense. And rebound. Play harder than anyone on the floor, and STOP BEING A TURNOVER MACHINE.

1 Like

Yeah I think he can play well if he’ll just play under control and let the game come to him he had some very good open shots last game they just couldn’t drop hopefully they will tomorrow

1 Like

Would like to see Trey Wade step up more on offense. Good cutter, good shooter, but his point production has slipped the past few weeks.

1 Like

Devo just needs to bring all of his head bands, socks, tee shirts, shorts and jock straps so he can filter thru the ones with bad mojo.

2 Likes

I totally agree Wade needs to take the ball to the rack with authority even if he gets fouled he’s proving to be a good free throw shooter. He’s too big and strong not to be a factor on offense

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.