Starting five?

In an effort to generate some discussion and I’m sure this has been discussed previously, predicted starting 5

Gafford at center
Harris at point guard
Bailey at the 4
Joe at shooting guard
No clue on who starts at the 3 or 3rd guard

First off bench Cheney, Embry, Sills

I think Cheney starts.

The word from the practices is that Sills is standing out on defense, intensity and decision making. I think that is what Mike looks for. He will start or be first off the bench.

In MA’s system, I think about who the first eight are, rather than the starting five. Those eight guys are going to get the most minutes, and the number of minutes tends to fluctuate from game to game. Early in the season, sometimes it’s even nine or ten guys getting decent minutes, though it seems like it eventually gets down to eight almost every year by early in conference play.

Right now Gafford is the sure thing for heavy minutes if he stays out of foul trouble. You can make a case for almost every body else to be part of the other seven, and that will probably fluctuate quite a bit with such a young team.

I Gafford and Harris are locks. Jones and Bailey very very likely. And Id guess Joe as the other. To start the season anyway.

Early in the season:
Gafford - 5
Bailey - 4
Jones - 3
Joe - 2
Harris - 1

Mid-Season:
Gafford
Chaney
Jones
Joe
Harris or Embery

Bailey - 6th man - may be 3rd in minutes - 1st back up for the 3 and the 4.

5-man replacement team at the 5 minute mark - Defense, defense, defense:

Bailey
Sills
Gabe
Embery or Harris
Henderson

30 min. per game players; Gafford and Joe
18-20+ min. per game players: Bailey, Jones, Chaney, Harris and Embery
double digit minutes - Sills and Gabe.

Sorry, couldn’t stop my basketball mind. Lots more than asked for. I’m soooo ready for Razorback basketball!

Gafford
Bailey/Chaney
Jones
Joe
Harris

Those 3 G’s have a lot of damage in them. They could really be tough. Built for high tempo. Like that lineup.

It was interesting to hear Mike Irwin on Pig Trail last night. He sometimes has strange baffling takes. He said since this team does not have any threats on the perimeter, he expects opponents to triple team Gafford since he is the only threat to score on this team. Do you agree with that take?

[quote=“PJHawg”]

It was interesting to hear Mike Irwin on Pig Trail last night. He sometimes has strange baffling takes. He said since this team does not have any threats on the perimeter, he expects opponents to triple team Gafford since he is the only threat to score on this team. Do you agree with that take?

[/quote]I would say Joe, Jones and Embery are outside threats for sure.

I think your 2nd sentence says it all. Maybe he gets nervous when he’s on TV. Perhaps he meant to say the team doesn’t have any “returning” threats on the perimeter.