Sometimes really good things come the way

of really good people. IMO, CMA’s hiring by SJU is one of those happenings. I was not a CMA lover, and certainly not a hater! I think our university did the correct thing he changing basketball coaches. I think SJU did too. I disagree on two fronts with several posters here re. our former coach.

First, imo he is a good fit for that position. Just because he has coached nearly his entire career in the south does not make him a country bumkin unable to survive the asphalt jungles of the big city. He is certainly “metro” enough to make that transition, and indeed as was pointed out in his presser, has a familiarity with the area, and previous success recruiting there. BTW, he sure didn’t seem at all out of place as he easily cajoled the common folks, there to see and hear their next basketball grand pooh-pah. He was owning that moment…not the other way around.

Secondly, I disagree with many here who were such strong CMA supporters they could scarcely tolerate others who were his critics. Even those who were quite vociferous in their issues with Mike, imo did not hate him at all. Its fun perhaps and certainly easy to concoct one’s own definition of hate, apply it to someone else and declare them (sometimes gleefully) as haters.
I am happy for Mike and not surprised he landed on his feet quickly. I’m also pleased that as he continues to earn his millions elsewhere, UofA won’t have to continue paying him millions not to work here!

Finally, one thing I thought was very interesting that was evident from his intro remarks/back and forth, is just how very engaging MA is/can be. I’m sorry that unlike many locals who post here, and others who for whatever reason had the good fortune to know him personally and see that sort of demeanor play out no doubt in his behavior off the court, that I didn’t know that Mike Anderson. Unfortunately, I didn’t necessarily see that in his on-court demonstrations. Ultimately, that’s what the AD had to look past to make a very difficult decision. But, as was evident today, CMA is going to be fine - no matter how he does as coach in Queens, NY, and no matter if he didn’t even get the job.

I’ve always been mystified as to why Anderson making a certain amount of money has been an issue. It has been brought up from the time he arrived until now.
I have my theories…

I’m sometimes mystified by people who speak/post with veiled intent. I have my own “theory” about why many, many (all of them?) coaches who earn tons of money are often criticized…it usually has to do with their perceived lack of success while making all that money. Beyond that, I would love to hear your theories.

[quote=“10scHog4life”]

I’m sometimes mystified by people who speak/post with veiled intent. I have my own “theory” about why many, many (all of them?) coaches who earn tons of money are often criticized…it usually has to do with their perceived lack of success while making all that money. Beyond that, I would love to hear your theories.
[/quote
As I said, his salary has been brought up since the ink was dry on his contract. How can it be attributed to his “lack of success” when he had yet to coach a game for the Hogs? My intent isn’t veiled at all. The good ol’ boys in this state have a problem with a colored making that much money at THEIR University. Palin enough for you?

[quote=“Swinesong51”]

LOL, why didn’t you just say that in the first place? As I suspected you have a decided bias, and heavy-duty judgementalism that has no place on this board. I reject your theory out of hand, and unfortunately it says a whole lot more about you than any mythical group you have decided to characterize. I’m going to support our new coach - no matter how much money he makes, and continue to support MA, no matter how much money he makes. Is that “Palin” enough for you?

[quote=“10scHog4life”]

Honestly, the issue of support wasn’t brought up by me. Nor, have I suggested who anyone should or shouldn’t support. I simply stated that I’ve long been mystified as to why Anderson’s salary has been continually brought up since he was hired.
As far what it says about me…I just spoke what you are in denial about. I’m not into the whole “being politically correct” over speaking the truth. Truth is neither rooted in bias nor is it judgemental. You are free to reject my “theory” just as I am free to express it.

[quote=“Swinesong51”]

I understand you didn’t bring it up…but I did. You also didn’t bring up this OP, I did. Anyway, I think its telling that you feel quite comfortable using pejorative terms to help describe your own (hate?). I suspect if your dissenters used any such terminology in reference to a minority subject, you would be one of the first to howl about it. Truth is also NOT theoretical, which is all you have posited - and quite preposterous I might add. I would ask you for solid evidence of your theory, but don’t really want to continue this circular discussion.

[quote=“Swinesong51”]

This is disgusting. How in the world did you end up with this, after reading a very thoughtful, very good post, about a man we all admire-whether or not we think he’s a great basketball coach.

“Since the ink was dry on his contract”. Ridiculous. who was not totally trilled and happy when Mike came home? I was at Park HIll Baptist Church, Allie Freeman and other former players, it was a very happy and exciting time. I literally knew NO ONE who was not happy about Mike coaching us. remember how bad we were post-NOlan? Ugh, it was awful, and MIke was coming off EE appearance.

Seems like you are re-writing history to fit your (VERY UGLY) agenda.

Oh, and btw, “since the ink was dry” is a very funny Randy Rainwater-ism! I doubt you were trying to be funny, but it is always great when someone is trying to sound authoritative and misquotes something so bad, LOL

GHG

[quote=“HoldenHogfield”]

[quote=“Swinesong51”]

This is disgusting. How in the world did you end up with this, after reading a very thoughtful, very good post, about a man we all admire-whether or not we think he’s a great basketball coach.

“Since the ink was dry on his contract”. Ridiculous. who was not totally trilled and happy when Mike came home? I was at Park HIll Baptist Church, Allie Freeman and other former players, it was a very happy and exciting time. I literally knew NO ONE who was not happy about Mike coaching us. remember how bad we were post-NOlan? Ugh, it was awful, and MIke was coming off EE appearance.

Seems like you are re-writing history to fit your (VERY UGLY) agenda.

Oh, and btw, “since the ink was dry” is a very funny Randy Rainwater-ism! I doubt you were trying to be funny, but it is always great when someone is trying to sound authoritative and misquotes something so bad, LOL

GHG

[/quote] That was actually my first thought too…but oh well.

I came into this post thinking it would be a “Good for Mike” post but it didn’t deliver.

More of the same and very confusing.

I’ll add my own take.

Good things happen to good people. Mike is one of the good guys. He’ll get a chance to make his own footprint on that program. Their fans are embracing him and that’s what he needs. Just didn’t work out here for one reason or another even though most, if not all, Hog fans wanted a Fairytale ending.

The rest, to each his own.

I am pumped about Muss and Hoops Hogs are my favorite sports team regardless of Pro, College. They are my number one.

But i’d be lying if i said i won’t be getting a St. Johns hat and watching some Big East basketball as well next year.

CMA is a Hog for life as far as i am concerned.

[quote=“10scHog4life”]

Little Rock FM 103.7,has a morning show called The Zone hosted by Justin Acri and Wess Moore. Wess does a daily opinion poll. Today’s question was “Do you hope Mike succeeds at SJU or fails or don’t care”. There were 555 votes. 84% said they hope Mike succeeds. 14% said they don’t care and 2% said they hope he fails. That is 11 people in a small sample who hope Mike fails. What is your guess about their thought process? Why do you think they arrived at that conclusion? When you hope someone fails, you absolutely dislike that person. Why do these 11 dislike Mike?

[quote=“PJHawg”]

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Although I feel certain you are well aware neither you nor anyone else has one scintilla of knowledge about those 11 anonymous individuals, other than the one fact you presented, maybe you should direct that question to swinesong. I think he has an answer you will like.

Maybe because he didn’t win enough. It is possible.
Are you saying the 11 people are racists? It is also possible.

But why did 51 take Plain/Palin enough to show his very extreme bias?
Not that it matters. He has to live in his own skin. Biased is biased.
Part of why he was already on my ignore filter. Disgusting post.

I am happy for Mike. I hope he is successful. He was a great representative
for OUR university. I wish he had won more and taken us to EE’s and FF’s
but he didn’t.
Circumstances conspired to add losses in his column rather than what
could easily have been wins. It was time to give someone else a chance
to take our Hogs back to final four level.

[quote=“10scHog4life”]

It is a stretch, but reason could be that they hated basketball that is not played in the old school Eddie Sutton way and they dislike anyone that promotes that. Just wanted to know what you thought.

[quote=“PJHawg”]

I guess I think it would be a stretch to try to ascertain much of anything about any of the voters in that poll. However, it seems that you and I like Mike Anderson, both wish he could have had more success here, and wish the best for him in NY. I will admit I like him a little more after noting the class with which he handled his firing…and after watching the press conference introducing him to SJU.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. :joy:

You like Shakespeare? I think this quote sums up your comments in this thread…"You speak an infinite deal of nothing.” :lol: