Something I never thought about until

this weekend.

I was talking to Bo Robinson, the father of Silas during the Friday and Saturday camps. As many of you probably know, he’s the HC at Yoakum, Texas. He mentioned the difference in elevation of Yoakum (365 feet) and Fayetteville (1401 feet) and how he noticed breathing harder while simply walking in Fayetteville.

I guess I’ve never noticed. When I think of this I think of Colorado and other states.

I had the same thing happen to me when I went to Asheville, NC and went on a short hike up a mountain. I got short of breath really quick and stopped, assumed it was the altitude, and two months later I had a triple bypass. Tell Silas’ Dad to be sure it is not a “shot across his bow” from something a lot more serious than altitude. My Cardiologist, when they did the Angiogram at St. Vincents, would not let me out of the hospital until they operated. He said my 90% blockage was in the worst possible place and if it went any further, I would be dead before I hit the ground.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://hypoxico.com/wp-content/uploads … -Chart.pdf”>https://hypoxico.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Hypoxico-Altitude-To-Oxygen-Chart.pdf</LINK_TEXT>

A thousand feet shouldn’t be an issue. When you fly in a plane, the air pressure/oxygen content is about like 8000 feet. Some people feel that just by getting up to go to the bathroom on a transAtlantic flight. I live in Florida, virtually at sea level. When we traveled to Cusco Peru, I definitely felt it walking up a steep street from the square to the hotel. I had to stop to catch my breath. But, when we travel to Denver, I can climb stairs without any noticeable difference. I am sure that if I did something requiring more exertion that it might kick me in the butt. I agree that if someone over 45 years old felt it with only a thousand foot difference, they should go see a cardiologist for a stress test.

Bo Robinson’s Dad is a Hall of Fame coach too, so that family has the pedigree.