Someone please stop this!

I don’t know who makes the decisions about the singers of the National Anthem at Baum-Walker. But someone in authority PLEASE STOP THE TRAVESTY!

We have singers sliding notes all over the place, improvising like cheap nightclub acts, dragging it out like a funeral dirge, and just making a disgrace out of a national treasure. I don’t even want to go in the stadium until first pitch because of it.

Please make it a policy to sing it with respect instead of trying (miserably) to show off some (supposed) vocal talent. I know that auditions used to be required for this, but I don’t know if they still are. We should just play an instrumental version if they can’t get someone to sing it without some self-serving attempt to “perform”.

Matt, do you know who makes these decisions? I am going to email HY, but I’m sure this is not high on his punch list.

7 Likes

l thought this was going to be about strikeouts. Whiffs and watches.

1 Like

Me too. :joy::joy:

1 Like

I agree 100%. I get so tired of seeing performers doing the National Anthem and making it about them and not the song as it stands.

For me by far the best was Whitney Houston when she did it. She just belted it out as it should be and didn’t add anything to showcase herself. She just show cased the anthem. Few seem to want to do that, they all seem to want to change it in some way. It makes me just shake my head. I saw one recently, it might have been the last Superbowl and they jazzed it up and to me it was horrible. I took advantage of it to refill my beverage and snack and ignored it.

I have very strong and rock solid opinions about our national anthem and flag. They neither bend nor do they waver, if that’s too political a statement for this board then so be it, I don’t care.

Heck if little seven year old Malea can crush it so well (best since Whitney), why can’t others?
7 Year-Old Crushes National Anthem, Zlatan Approves - YouTube

6 Likes

I have wondered for years why we want to play the anthem 10,000 times a week.
Most countries only play it for special occasions.

3 Likes

I get tired of the improvised twists in the tune, too. Just sing it as it was written or don’t play it all.

2 Likes

Here’s my take on the National Anthem at sporting events:

At its best, it is a sing-a-long. The crowd should be encouraged to sing along with a band or keyboard rendition. IF someone is on a mic to sing it, it should be as a leader of the song, taken at a reasonable tempo with out significant vocal embellishments or melodic changes. It should not be a performance. Sadly, that’s what it has become.

The best National Anthem experience I’ve ever had at a sporting event was a soccer game. The U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Costa Rica in the semifinals of the Gold Cup a few years ago at Jerry’s World. No soloist. Just an instrumental accompaniment played over the PA system. The crowd, maybe 45,000 people, stood and sang it together, many of them arm in arm. It gave me chills. You just don’t get that when some beauty queen or aspiring country singer turns it into an unrecognizable dirge in an effort to show off their vocal chops.

Sermon over. Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

I totally agree how our National Anthem should be sang as I believe that was the intent when written and designated as our National Song. Few sing it that way anymore it seems.

LOL. The tune to the Star Spangled Banner was originally an English drinking song, “To Anacreon in Heaven” (and more than one person has suggested you need to be snockered to sing it properly). It did not become the official national anthem until 1931 – 117 years after it was written. So what intent are you talking about?

The SSB is also a very difficult song to sing because of the vocal range. I would suspect that some of the people who try to sing it lack that range.

Before 1931, “Hail, Columbia” was the unofficial national anthem; “My Country Tis of Thee” (which shares the tune of “God Save the Queen/King”, the UK anthem) was also used.

1 Like

They can play Larry Shank’s recorded rendition over in over and I’d be fine with that.

1 Like

Excellent idea, LoudLoyd! Let the crowd sing the anthem. Could be a new tradition at RRS. Still need the band and a flyover…and the lyrics up on the big screen.

Sounds like the original intention was sing it like a drunk Limey (British sailor). Must be how Rosanne Barr was taught to sing it.

[quote=“votan, post:4, topic:51817, full:true”]
I saw one recently, it might have been the last Superbowl and they jazzed it up and to me it was horrible. I took advantage of it to refill my beverage and snack and ignored it.

I have very strong and rock solid opinions about our national anthem and flag. They neither bend nor do they waver, if that’s too political a statement for this board then so be it, I don’t care.

So because your opinions about the national anthem are so strong, you “ignored” the national anthem being played to go “refill my beverage and snack”? That’s somehow less disrespectful and more right in your book than how someone sings it? Your opinions are “rock solid” and “do not waver” but allow you to ignore the national anthem to get snacks. Got it. Quite principled of you. I’m sure your opinions on the flag are equally self-serving.

On the other hand, I completely agree with your take that Whitney Houston’s performance was essentially the best ever.

1 Like

Playing Larry’s version is a winner for me. I also like it when Shana Kasparek sings. She sings it straight and with good tempo. But Shana has only sung a couple of times this year.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.