Some things eventually become obvious...

I have intentionally not posted for several weeks now.
Last time I made any comments was during the Minnesota debacle, and much of that was the way I release frustration during periods of exasperation such as that game brought out.

I was roundly criticized by other board members at that time. I was grouped with the MA 'haters" and reminded that I did not post after wins (which is not even true). So I have refrained from commenting at all. I did not moan about a home loss to Florida, or about getting run out of the gym in the second half at KY. I also did not post congratulations after the road victory at TN, this is true. But in all honesty, while road wins are always something to be satisfied with, we have to remember we nearly choked that game away late anyway.

Mike was not my first choice when he was hired, but I cannot say I was necessarily overwrought by it either. I had concerns as to whether his style of play could be successful under today’s officiating norms, and definitely had concerns about recruiting prowess. Nonetheless, I attended the gala that was his introduction and happily jumped in headfirst, drinking the Razorback Red Kool Aid of euphoria brought on by remembrance of past glory.

But eventually,…Reality Bites.

Mike Anderson is a class individual, a really nice guy, and one you really want to see succeed. But it is obvious that it just ain’t working. Regardless of what style of play you adhere too, there are still fundamental aspects of basketball which you MUST have to succeed. I am sick of seeing us murdered on the boards. Absolutely sick of it. MS ST was the WORST rebounding team in the SEC and ranked somewhere in 200+ range nationally. I am sick of seeing three players in the back court overplaying defensively 90 feet away from the basket, getting blown by to create an immediate 3 on 2 advantage and having one player go length of court uncontested. I am sick of seeing poor defense allowing uncontested three pointers. These things are not pure talent issues. We are making self-inflicted wounds on ourselves with the “system” we play.

In the late stages of the Vietnam War, the respected Walter Cronkite gave an editorial comment that it was time for the US to admit it was time to get out of that conflict. He said the US needed to acknowledge that “it was a noble nation, which tried to do its best” (or something to that effect). I’m not saying coaching basketball even approaches the importance of geo-politics or war. But I am saying that, sadly, it looks like it is time to acknowledge that Mike Anderson is a noble man, who tried to do his best, but with unsatisfactory results.

And I also expect the obligatory observations that “it was one game” (which it was not), and that “there is still a lot of basketball to play” (which is true, but time is running fast).

Fire away.
Doc

Hard to argue with any of that.

But at this point I don’t want Jeff Long making anymore hires. His seat should be the hottest one. I’m also scared of the quality of the replacement we could get, what kind of job is this now? That’s not a defense of moving on from Mike, just a legitimate concern.

I wish Mike would show the ability to adapt and make himself more of a CEO coach while hiring assts outside of his echo chamber who have different ideas and experience teaching solid fundamentals. He’s a good man and this is his home but if you don’t adapt, you die.

This could almost be me (from being attacked for not posting after wins, which was not true, to deciding just not to post at all for the most part, etc). About the only thing that doesn’t fit me is going to the gala (I live 150 miles away or probably would have gone). Same concerns when hired, same concerns now. Same feelings about Anderson.

And no, neither you nor I should say “good bye.” It is only the self righteous types who think only their opinion could possibly be correct who say such. No need to go anywhere. I would never dream of telling people who disagree with me that they should just leave. That they aren’t “true fans” (don’t you just love that one?) The fact is, even those who are very rude and scream at you to leave are in fact fans. They have different opinions. Strange, that is what I thought a MESSAGE BOARD was for!!!

Not sure how old anyone is in here, but I was attending games in old barnhill when Martin terry was the man. So I’ve seen a lot of Arkansas basketball. The reason I post this are the comments about who we might hire. Our program is so bad who would want to come here etc. well when frank talked Eddie into coming we had no
Program. No arena, few fans. Frank sold Eddie on building a program from scratch. Yes we have woefully disappointed for many many years, attendance is down etc. but we’ve got much more history now. We have had success at the highest level. We have a 20000 seat arena. We have state of the art practice and academic facility. It up to athletic director to sell the program. It’s up to him to have a vision of what could be again. It can be done, frank did it. That being said, long ain’t no frank. I have zero confidence in him as far as hiring a basketball coach. But if a change is in order, and I expect that it’s not, it’s up to long to find the right coach. We might not get a self type but Sutton was a coach at creighton which wasn’t any power team then or ever.

[quote=“Razorwill”]
Not sure how old anyone is in here, but I was attending games in old barnhill when Martin terry was the man. So I’ve seen a lot of Arkansas basketball. The reason I post this are the comments about who we might hire. Our program is so bad who would want to come here etc. well when frank talked Eddie into coming we had no
Program. No arena, few fans. Frank sold Eddie on building a program from scratch. Yes we have woefully disappointed for many many years, attendance is down etc. but we’ve got much more history now. We have had success at the highest level. We have a 20000 seat arena. We have state of the art practice and academic facility. It up to athletic director to sell the program. It’s up to him to have a vision of what could be again. It can be done, frank did it. That being said, long ain’t no frank. I have zero confidence in him as far as hiring a basketball coach. But if a change is in order, and I expect that it’s not, it’s up to long to find the right coach. We might not get a self type but Sutton was a coach at creighton which wasn’t any power team then or ever.
[/quote]I grew to love Razorback basketball with Lanny Van Eman and the Runnin Razorbacks. I remember when Illinois State and Doug Collins came to the Barn and so many other fun times there. Loved to hear Robert Birden interviews 'you know man when you’re hot ,you know, the team, you know, keeps, you know, getting you the ball, you know! We had no real expectations, so win or lose we seemed to love it just the same. I hate losing, but it is so different now, so much rancor with each loss and certainly less fun being on the board when we lose. Maybe we had it right back then?

Before I get slammed, I am well aware of the money differences now, not just in salaries and facilities but in the expense of attending games and all, so I know there is no going back to that time where being a fan was more about fun than seemingly now when it appears like some people act like they suffer personal harm (even if it is just to an ego) when we lose.

There were some outdoor 8 ft basketball goals near maple and college we used to play at for hours. Martin Terry would occasionally show up and play w us. He and tolson were awesome back then. Lanny was ahead of his time. Of course we were a football school only back then but Frank I’m sure saw money being made at basketball at some schools and the trend in fan awareness in basketball. He made an investment in the program and it paid off. I remember walking into barnhill across dirt to get to the bleachers, I wouldn’t call them stands. Wasn’t much. Of. Purse Eddie recruited the triplets. Other than kieth Lee and Michael cage from west Memphis, Eddie convinced most in state to stay home. So many good memories, basketball was fun at Arkansas. Just not so much fun anymore.

I questioned the poor D efforts and positioning at Minnesota and was called out for not loving the program as much as others as well.

I grew up at Eddie Sutton basketball camps, at U during May/Day when Nolan built monster and we had some 25 year stretch between the two coaches where sold out loud arenas and going to NCAA tourneys almost every year with few exceptions were our DNA and we were nationally respected.

I love Mike. I may have shed man tears of joy when Jeff convinced Mike to come back and wash away the pain of yesterday and put the band back together.

Never ever expected final fours or sweet sixteens every year.

But expected to be making NCAA tournaments every year unless something drastic happened or an overly young rebuilding team one year or something.

Did not expect to be staring at 1 tournament in 5 years.

There are programs that don’t have half the history of our program that would consider that record unacceptable.

I’m willing to throw out the first year or two because he inherited some issues.

As a kid watching Sutton teams I would go to my room and cry when we lost but always had faith we would bounce back. Under Richardson you had that faith and cried that it didn’t have to end the way it did.

Now I’m just saddened for a once proud program.

And saddened for Mike who certainly wants to win and has plans that have not fully materialized yet.

Man I hope we can still get on a roll this year.

Excellent post. Couple years ago, I too was labeled as “Mike hater” for talking about Poor recruiting, Lack of rebounding and fundamentals. Look at MSU; Holland just got there last year, has more talent and a lot better X & O’s on offense and defense. We just seat back and let this play itself out.

As to how old posters are and how long they have been following Hog basketball: I am 53. I started attending Hog FOOTBALL games in 1970. I didn’t start following Hog basketball until the 77-78 season. Older than I should have been. Where was I in the 1976-77 season? I guess to busy chasing girls (I was in 9th grade). I didn’t even know we made the 1977 NCAAT until the next year when I started paying attention.

Since then I have been a fan and follower of Hog basketball. I attended games in Little Rock and Pine Bluff over the next few years. I didn’t get to attend my first game in Barnhill until 1986. I didn’t go to UofA for undergrad. A friend of mine who was at UofA got me a student ticket for a game when I was visiting the Law School at Fayetteville. Once I got to Fayetteville, I had student tickets my 3 years there.

Since graduating, I have gone to games off and on when I could. Money, time and travel all being a factor, each one changing as I moved from place to place made more or less money and had more or less free time with work/family. With a son at UofA now I go to at least one game a year, try for more.

Even if Arkansas begins winning again, what will it take to get fans back into BWA?

It is more than merely results. I wonder how many people are turned off by this style of basketball.

No, it’s not Nolan’s style. It’s not even the style Mike Anderson used successfully as a head coach at UAB and Missouri. It’s something unusual, incomplete, and not especially attractive.

This is not a style that stampedes opponents at home. We can’t blow out anyone but awful teams, because the defense is so bad. How can Mike Anderson be bad at coaching defense? We’re halfway through the season and ranked 102nd in defensive efficiency.

i love mike.
loved him standing by nolans side
wanted him to be the next coming when nolan left
was SO excited to bring him back home.

i am terribly disappointed now.
it is increasingly clear he is not the answer.
it is just a matter of time.

i also have zero faith in our AD.

He needs to hire an assistant from the Pitino/Donovan tree to develop a new style. He has NR players as assistants so new ideas and concepts are going to be limited. Florida, Minnesota, Louisville, KY etc can use fundamentals to run AND rebound.

I like Mike and I hope this season gets back on a winning note, but he needs to lose that “Fastest 40” theme. We are not that and have never been since 2011. I saw a lot of the 2014 team and they were very good defensively. I have not seen many games this year (one being the Florida game where their guards were able to execute everything). I could see the rebounding and defensive issues. We have better players than last year but we STILL do not have a true basketball playing, dish, drive, and shoot PG. They are hard to come by, but it’s been 15 years since we have come close to a player who could set the table for the rest of the team.

I like Mike too, but I think at this point, and it makes me sad to say it, I’d like him better somewhere else. Different players but mostly same problems every season.

This thread is depressing, I had to check our record to make sure we were 12-4 and not 4-12 after reading it.

I was just as disappointed about the Miss. St. loss as anyone, but some of you guys are losing touch with reality and gone full doom and gloom mode. If the tournament started today the 2 leading experts that do brackets for a living say that we would be in as an 11 seed. We currently have a 36 RPI with a 35 SOS which is really good.

I’m just curious for the doom and gloom crowd, through the first 16 games what were you expecting our record to be? I know if somebody told me at the beginning of the season, after second week of January we’re 12-4 with a 36 RPI, I’d tell them I’d take it. People forget we still have a lot of new faces and guys that are adjusting to this level. At the beginning of the year I thought we’d be a 21-24 win team in the regular season. Since we play 31 games, that meant we’d have some losses on the way and probably meant we’d lose a couple games we should have won, and also meant we’d win some we were probably predicted to lose.

If the worst thing that happens to us this year is we lose a game to a team that had a top 5 recruiting class I think we’ll be alright.

oh we tried the Donovan coaching tree route and oh how that worked out lol

[quote=“Razorwill”]
We have had success at the highest level. We have a 20000 seat arena. We have state of the art practice and academic facility. It up to athletic director to sell the program. It’s up to him to have a vision of what could be again. It can be done, frank did it. That being said, [color=#FF0000]long ain’t no frank[/color]. I have zero confidence in him as far as hiring a basketball coach. But if a change is in order, and I expect that it’s not, it’s up to long to find the right coach. We might not get a self type but Sutton was a coach at creighton which wasn’t any power team then or ever.
[/quote]Truer words have never been spoken.

It was fun back then; even before Eddie. Not many fans and we usually didn’t win. Even so, it was fun harassing an official during breaks by saying, “drip” every time he took a step. He would stop walking and just stand. Unlike today, we were so easily entertained.

[quote=“Blu”]
People forget we still have a lot of new faces and guys that are adjusting to this level. .
[/quote]I don’t buy that excuse because we also have some experience; far more than Kentucky’s with their one and done and more than MissSt with at least 6 freshmen. Now if you want to say Mike has a more complex system that takes longer, I might buy that but you need to sell me.

[quote=“Gay”]

It’s not an excuse it’s a fact. Miss St. has had their struggles this year (more than us) because they have a lot of new faces as well, and their new faces were rated higher than the guys we had coming in. People forget Miss State’s recruiting class is a top 5 class.

And you do realize Kentucky’s new guys are NBA players right? You can’t compare the progress of a team stacked with NBA Caliber/McDonald All-Americans to a team with 3 and 4 star players.