Some personal news

I wrote about this at the end of my column, but Friday is my last day with WholeHog. Shortly after getting back from Portland, I accepted a position working in Walmart’s corporate office.

Love this job and I’m sure I’ll miss it. I’ve had a blast for the past 17 months, but this decision was a no-brainer for me long-term.

I’ve really enjoyed interacting with a lot of you guys the past year and a half, particularly discussing basketball. There is some great dialogue on here I have genuinely enjoyed being a part of.

I’ll still post every now and then and perhaps write some basketball stuff on occasion, but nothing in an official role after this week ends. It’s been a great ride and I’m glad to have shared some of it with you guys.

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]
I wrote about this at the end of my column, but Friday is my last day with WholeHog. Shortly after getting back from Portland, I accepted a position working in Walmart’s corporate office.

Love this job and I’m sure I’ll miss it. I’ve had a blast for the past 17 months, but this decision was a no-brainer for me long-term.

I’ve really enjoyed interacting with a lot of you guys the past year and a half, particularly discussing basketball. There is some great dialogue on here I have genuinely enjoyed being a part of.

I’ll still post every now and then and perhaps write some basketball stuff on occasion, but nothing in an official role after this week ends. It’s been a great ride and I’m glad to have shared some of it with you guys.[/quote:1udgrz86]

Your gonna be missed Jimmy. Wish you the best.

Dang, going to miss you! Good luck with your new job!

Congrats, but I will sure miss your articles. I really enjoy them and I learned something every time I read one. I hate to see you go.

Congratulations! You will be missed around here.

Congratulations and good luck in your new endeavors. You will be missed here.

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]

I’ll still post every now and then and perhaps write some basketball stuff on occasion, but nothing in an official role after this week ends. It’s been a great ride and I’m glad to have shared some of it with you guys.[/quote:ig8v1aqs]

Congrats.

But, this is a bummer. I always looked forward to reading your stuff and your basketball coverage was something I really enjoyed.

Hate it for us but happy for you if that is what you want to do. Not sure what you will be doing for Wal-Mart, but you are a heckuva sports writer!

I bet you a six pack of Diet Dr. Pepper that after one year you will not like working for Walmart Corp. But good luck. You will be missed.

[quote=“JimmyCarter”]

I’ll still post every now and then and perhaps write some basketball stuff on occasion, but nothing in an official role after this week ends. It’s been a great ride and I’m glad to have shared some of it with you guys.[/quote:1548loph]
Nooooo…say it’s not so, I really enjoyed your articles, they were very informative you will be missed. Congratulations on your new Job, May you be blessed with the highest levels of success.

Going to copy and paste what I posted on the football board, because the same applies here.

I don’t want to clog the thread by quoting everyone, but I really, truly appreciate all the comments in this thread. They mean a lot to me and make the long hours I spent re-watching games and pouring over numbers worth it.

Occasionally, I would venture to another board to check the viewpoints and always came away with an appreciation for the posting community here. I know I’ll continue to watch the games after investing that much time into them haha. I’m sure I’ll still post when I get the time.

[quote=“labb”]
I bet you a six pack of Diet Dr. Pepper that after one year you will not like working for Walmart Corp. But good luck. You will be missed.[/quote:rroilxdp]

Thanks! Perhaps you’re right, but a number of friends I went to the UA with have worked there for years and enjoy it. Hopefully you’re wrong haha

just for info. Are you with Walmart or the Sam’s Club side?

Good luck to you, Jimmy. You delivered a fresh, smart product that truly spoke to basketball junkies. Enjoyed your stuff more than any other Arkansas basketball writer ever.

[quote=“labb”]
just for info. Are you with Walmart or the Sam’s Club side?[/quote:fj3zjdnh]

Walmart.

[quote=“RazorAg”]
Good luck to you, Jimmy. You delivered a fresh, smart product that truly spoke to basketball junkies. Enjoyed your stuff more than any other Arkansas basketball writer ever.[/quote:29js50y9]

Thank you, that means a lot coming from you.

Congrats man. Been on HI board for years and others too. Your basketball coverage is best around and one of the reasons I was glad they merged the boards last year. Wish you the best of luck, you will be missed. Hope you stay around as a fan and post some.

Jimmy,

I hate to see you go from a purely personal standpoint. Your articles were insightful and educational. through your articles, I learned to watch the game differently and that added a lot of enjoyment to my viewing.

Good luck at Walmart. I have some lifelong friends that have worked there for a really long time and they love it.

You will be missed.

Wish you the best of luck. Hope you stick around and post from time to time.

Will definitely miss your contributions to the website.

I write this with mixed emotions. First, Jimmy has done a great job with his writing/analysis in everything he’s done at Hawgs Illustrated and Whole Hog Sports. He was the personal choice to work with this merged and expanded website. He is a jewel. Second, he’s just a quality person who makes everyone glad to be around him (unless he tries to tell me about my fashion choices).

Our loss is Walmart’s gain. He will rise through the ranks to no telling where. It’s a huge jump for him in many ways and will allow him to provide for his family in a way that most journalists can not. In short, he had to do it, with my blessing.

Jimmy’s talents are huge. He’s just scratching the surface now.

You know when someone’s good when you open a story to edit it and don’t hit a key stroke. Not one. That’s what you get with Jimmy’s stories. I fixed a typo once. Once. Years ago.

It’s been like that for a long time, dating back to when he sent free-lance stories for our print magazine while in college. I wouldn’t hit a key stroke for anything, just write a headline. You think that’s fun for an editor?

Jimmy left a strong impression in his time away from us at Longview, Texas. He did a wonderful job covering a high school program the way I cover the Razorbacks. I knew then he was ready to come back to Northwest Arkansas. He did a great job covering Springdale High for the NWA DG, before Matt and I conspired to swipe him, with a big thumbs up from Rusty Turner, the boss at the paper.

It seems that anything I’ve ever told Jimmy through the years he’s gotten instantly. Now, I haven’t had to tell him much, but when you say, “Maybe this story needs more balance,” there’s a nod of the head and you see balance in everything he writes going forward. I don’t see balance in a lot of the young writers. It’s something that comes gradually. Jimmy got it instantly. When you have balance, you can be firm about something on either side and it resonates.

It took me a long time to understand balance. I saw it executed by both Orville Henry and Bill Connors but didn’t know what it was until at about age 30 someone described it in a difficult piece that Bill had to write on a coach that had made a personal choice mistake. I think it may have been Switzer getting a DUI. The way Bill wrote it covered it perfectly. You don’t just do that in a lucky way. You have to be talented and poised as a writer to do that.

I’ll say a big thank you to Jimmy for all he’s done here. I know he’s going to do even better and bigger work at his next stop.