Some differences I noticed last night compared to CMA teams

One of the things that used to irk me the most with CMA teams was all the switching on defense. I noticed last night that we rarely switched. When we did it was at the end of the shot clock or it was a non mis-match switch for the most part.

The help defense was so good and precise last night. I could tell they had worked really hard on help and recover.

Muss was on the sideline encouraging them on defense to keep their hands active and to close out hard. Seems like the last few years we closed out while gambling to get a steal. Didn’t see that last night.

We will lose some games due to being small but I doubt we will ever not be prepared.

2 Likes

This team can switch if they have to since they are all athletic and used to defending guards or wings. Jimmy Whitt is very good defensively, such long arms and keeps his man in front of him.

Rice was guard poor and not quick so not a true test, but like you I was impressed with the defensive effort.

They better be able to switch when they play better teams. They will be so easy to attack if they don’t.

Muss came with NBA background and Dudley said yesterday on radio that he runs it like a NBA minor league team. Switching on defense is a necessity in NBA. I bet they practice that a lot. Just didn’t have to last night,

Now, I believe they won’t gamble as much as CMA did. Let’s see how it works out. Bottom line, Muss has to win bigger than CMA with whatever scheme he employs.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not as concerned with switching so much this year because there is not as much difference b/n the size of our defenders. Last year I always cringed when DG and one of our guards would switch, leaving a huge mismatch in the paint.

Typically the case when a coach is fired and a new one is hired.

In the NBA the guards and wings switch but rarely do you see Lopez guarding Westbrook. Gafford and Moses would always end up on a point guard or Harris would end up on a big. Never worked for the most part. I would bet you will never see Vanover guarding a point guard.

Switch and get back was what they were doing last night. Help and recover at its finest.

There weRE many differences between what we’ve been used to and what we saw last night. A one game sample against a pitiful opponent might not tell us a ton.

What I saw was less on the ball overplay, stay in front of your man if possible, go vertical, get a hand in their face. I think we will see over time, a much greater emphasis on rebounding, especially when he gets some size down the road. Spacing was great. They even ran a post up play for whitt on a smaller guard.

I only saw the last ten minutes, but ball movement on offense seemed much quicker, no standing rooted to the floor. That may have contributed to a higher turnover count, but that should clean up with work.

From the statistics, it appears that we actually (finally) had rebounding also. That and the number of passes was amazing!

That’s not true. Bigs wind up on smalls all the time in the NBA. That’s why bigs that are light on their feet are getting paid, especially if they can shoot from the perimeter, whereas lumbering post players are virtually extinct. With his lack of offensive skills other than rim running and offensive rebounding Gafford might not have been drafted in an earlier era. He got drafted precisely because he can move on defense.

So you see Brook Lopez switching on to James Harden with success???

Switching every screen got us killed many times through the years.

If you watch good defensive teams they hedge the screen, help and recover.

You’re just factually wrong that NBA teams never let their bigs get switched onto guards. When Cleveland played Golden State in the Finals, both teams just conceded all switches. Many NBA teams switch everything. That’s why guys like Bam Adebayo at 6-9 are starting at center in the NBA. You can disagree with the strategy, but it happens. I watch Trae Young make a living at it nightly by running the pick and roll and blowing by bigs. The defense is expecting rotations to cutoff the penetration.

So you didn’t really read my post but it’s all good.

I bet you won’t see Muss get caught in switching mis matches often. Jalen Harris guarding a big is a recipe for disaster.

I read this, which I assume is meant to imply that centers rarely get caught on guards in the NBA, which isn’t true. No, I haven’t personally tracked the stats of how often Brooks Lopez has specifically guarded Russ Westbrook. But, if you’re entire argument is based on that one pairing, it’s not much of an argument. NBA scouts wanted to see Gafford on some guards last year whether you did or not. Golden State played a smallish player Draymond Green at center so they could switch all positions. I’m not saying that’s the best strategy for college basketball, but it’s an ignorant statement about the NBA.

BTW I watched Budenholzer for years at Atlanta. He likes to trap, force TOs, and switch. It doesn’t always work. That’s how Cleveland set a three-point record for a playoff series in four games against Atlanta. They would penetrate off the switch and beat the rotations for a wide open three. More than rarely I saw Al Horford in space on guards. By contrast, Dwight Howard refused to leave the paint on pick-and-roll defense, which let guards get all the open treys that they wanted, and he was gone in a year.

Niles is right. It happens in NBA, that is a 5 guarding the 1. Offenses are designed to create that mismatch.

This is one thing I will be watching with interest as we play more games. Interested to see what happens when the opposing 5 moves to the top of the key and takes our 5 with him and then sets the screen for their PG and our defender fails to fight thru the screen. Does our 5 stay with their 5 and let their PG do what he wants to or gets in the path of their PG.

To me this happens in both college and NBA. I have not seen any of Nevada games. This is one item to watch for me as to how Muss defends this play. And what the effect is if our 5 never switches.

So now I’m ignorant…lol…ok man.

Let me say what I really want to say. CMA let our players switch anytime they wanted. Against better teams it killed us. True bigs in the NBA rarely switch on to a guard for a long period of time. You keep naming small bigs which are really wing players. Lopez is a true big is he not? Did Shaq ever switch and guard a point guard at the top of the key? Nope he helped and got back. The Auburn guards last year killed us every time we switched big for small. Kentucky let us switch and sent the big to the block for a post up on our guards. Simple basketball when a good coach see’s it.

We will just agree to disagree but I won’t resort to calling you or your statements ignorant.

I sad it was an “ignorant statement about the NBA”, as in a statement that reflects a lack of knowledge about a specific subject, NBA defense in this instance. And do you really think Brooks Lopez is a close athletic analog to Gafford? Horford, Green, and Adebayo or closer analogs. If you think that original statement is accurate generalization of NBA defense, then you are self evidently not an expert on NBA defense. I’m ignorant on most topics. No offense intended.

So you don’t see a difference between a true big and the guys you are naming? Horford plays the 4 for the sixers not the 5. Adebayo is a power forward any day of the week. Green is not a 5 he’s a 3-4. I said a true big does not switch or need to be switching.

Gafford had no success guarding one’s or two’s. Go back and watch the Auburn game at Auburn last year. I could care less about the NBA right now my point was that Muss is not switching as much as what we have in the past. If you want to debate the NBA I’m all for it but not on this board. My nephew played 13 years in the NBA and one of my aau players, Keljin Blevins, is in the G league right now. He went to training camp with the Blazers and didn’t make the roster. He was drafted last week in the first round of the G league draft by the Suns affiliate. So I know just a little about basketball even though I make “ignorant” statements in your eyes.

When I first read this thread, that was my first thought. Muss said his philosophy is much like Golden State’s, and I’ve seen Steph guarding the five (and being successful, by stripping the ball before the C could get off his shot), and I saw Draymond playing C out on the perimeter against the other team’s PG (I believe against Lillard). I know that’s why their “death squad” was so effective. They were all good offensively, but they all could switch and make plays defensively. When Muss mentioned positionless basketball, I honestly think he’s talking both O and D.

I also get what Razorblack is saying about a true C, and Green not being one, but it still happens, just not at the level it happened with us last year.

You are absolutely right Shaq never did that. At least I don’t recall any instances of that. But that is because they made a choice to let the other 5 unguarded at top of the key. Is that what Muss is going to do? That is what I am anxious to find out. There are 5s today that shoot 3s. Not sure if Shaq faced more than a few.