So, who will it be?

As much as I like coach B as a person and respect his ambassadorship of the program, It unfortunately appears for whatever reasons it has not worked at Arkansas.

Matt passed along stats on blowout nature of losses going back to last year - which in year four and five is arguably, unacceptable.

Sometimes excitement and hope need be created for a fan base for confidence in all leadership surrounding the program.

If that is conclusion, who is best for our situation?

A great x and o Admin is not always enough at Arkansas, as recruiting is a different animal and UA Admin not always able to achieve parody on that front last many years.

So who is best fit?

Names likely out there from Miles to Sumlin with experience in the SEC.

Others from Memphis coach to SMU in up and comer categories who might be hungrier for the opportunity.

Who is best for our situation I wonder?

I am not convinced that CBB is gone. It might be a unpopular opinion but all the injuries and youth may get him another year. Big buyout will help his cause.
A coach we know or have heard little about is more likely than not the replacement if it happens. The names thrown out by fans like Gus make me a bit nervous. An offensive mind is what I would like.

I agree that if a change is made, the next coach is not likely to be one of the names that is being tossed around this board. Jeff Long’s list and our fans’ lists do not coincide.
Our offense isn’t what’s getting us beat. Our offense isn’t giving up 35.8 points a game. Offensive line needs fixing, to be sure, but until that happens it doesn’t matter who is calling the plays, what plays they call or what system they run.

I totally agree that the defense is a large part of our many problems but I am hoping for an offensive mind. I believe line play on both sides of the ball is our biggest shortcoming. We will have a lot of weapons on offense that needs a different look than what we are showing. I never felt like the offense was capable of moving the ball yesterday.

I agree

That may be true, but when you have 3 bad football hires, I do not think you get the chance to solely pick the 4th.

I figure he will obviously have his say, but I do not think he will ultimately pick #4.

I’m not a long hater, I like him. But I do think his luck has run out on picking football coaches.

I don’t think this one comes from left field, unless it’s just a knock out hire… which we better be careful with… we thought we got one 5 years ago.

I guess we will see!

I’m confused. Jeff Long has made two football hires, Petrino and BB. JLS was an interim appointment, not a hire. And I was thinking a large portion of our fan base thinks Petrino was a great hire, even if they tend to attach modifiers like “he fell into Jeff Long’s lap”. So what? Lou Holtz fell into Frank Broyles’ lap too. Long still hired BP.

Not to mention, why are you going to pay Jeff Long $1 million a year and then not let him hire who he wants to run all 17 programs? If he screws up this hire, fine, hold him accountable. My opinion is that BB was a great hire (who thought we’d get a coach with three straight Power 5 conference titles?) who couldn’t get over the hump here and then has backslid this year, which looks like it will cost him his job.

Plus we tried the committee approach to hiring before. It got us Houston Nutt and Stan Heath. One of those worked out slightly better than the other one.

Petrino was a bad hire, he won a lot of games, but look where thatgot us.

You can spin it however you want.

I personally do not think Long gets the final say this go around.

You say f he screws this one up then don’t let him next time.

We just spent 5 years with a coach he hired that didn’t amount to anything, there’s no way he would get a another chance if the next coach doesn’t work out. We all know that. His seat is hot right now, whether he does a great job everywhere else, football is the big boy, it’s the class you better not fail, and we are failing.

Either way, we are going to find out.

Long may head out on his own, that’s a possibility as well.

For better or worse I’ll be very surprised if there is not some sort of committee involved.

To me it’s an either/or. Fire him or let him do his job. If you don’t trust Jeff Long to hire the next coach, fire him. That could have happened Thursday but it didn’t. If you’re not going to fire him, then let him do what you’re paying him to do.

For the record I do like CBB, I think he represents our University very well. Having said that, if he stays or if we wind up with another coach, something has to happen on the recruiting side of the overall job responsibilities. Frankly I do not believe any coach could take this squad and compete in SEC West. Every week I see teams with bigger, stronger and with by far more speed at every position. I also recognize that injuries have played a large part in our talent level this year, however the inability to bring competitive linemen to the program on both sides of the ball just does not feed the bulldog. I do like Long, think he has done an overall decent job. Coaches who do not have the SEC West experience are going to have a tough time recruiting athletes that can perform in the league. Just my Sunday morning thoughts after another expected beat down on.

[quote=“Swatuna7”]

Petrino was a bad hire, he won a lot of games, but look where thatgot us.

You can spin it however you want.

I personally do not think Long gets the final say this go around.

You say f he screws this one up then don’t let him next time.

We just spent 5 years with a coach he hired that didn’t amount to anything, there’s no way he would get a another chance if the next coach doesn’t work out. We all know that. His seat is hot right now, whether he does a great job everywhere else, football is the big boy, it’s the class you better not fail, and we are failing.

Either way, we are going to find out.

Long may head out on his own, that’s a possibility as well.
[/quote]I guess if “the truth is what I saw it is” then you are right, but I think many would say you are way wrong. Who could have predicted Petrino who have his issue? Also seems funny that some of the Long detractors can , as you put it,“spin” Petrino whichever way is most negative for Long. While Bret has not been successful, I think many knowledgeable football fans would have said at the time he was hired that it was a pretty strong hire.

Jeff Long also hired Jim Grobe…who then got cold feet 12hrs later.

Neither side of the ball has shown much capacity to play for four quarters. LSU only had 7 points at half when the offense couldn’t even make a couple of first downs to flip field position. We’ve had several games in which the defense looked helpless, but we’ve also had several where they were holding up their end as long as they could without getting much help. Points can put a little giddy-up into the D.

I think that is correct.

I don’t know our financials but wonder if we have enough to buy out Brett and have enough to pay for a high profile contract (say Gus for argument sake).

Which makes me wonder if we are not looking exclusively for an up a comer coordinator or guy at Memphis or someone we don’t have to pay much.

I would like to think we swing for the fences with high expectations otherwise. But I’m unsure if we aren’t restricted by our financials compared to larger programs where more may be willing to write checks.

The money is there.

We are 1 of the 24 financially self supporting programs. Consistently rank in the top 15 (top 10 also) in program worth. I believe we were like the 12th most profitable football program either this pst year or year before, correct me of I got the number wrong, according to Forbes.
Around 100 M a year program. (AD)
Around 70 M football, with profit around 40M , are the numbers I have seen.

Now, we don’t spend like it though, we are middle of the pack in coaching salary for football. Need to spend like champs if we want to elevate the program. IMO

Foundation sent the plane to North Carolina to get him, but he never took the job and never got on the plane. Kinda like Nebraska sent the plane for Houston Nutt a few years later.

The Petrino hire came out of left field. And, most fans were excited with the hire. His teams put together two of the best seasons the Hogs have enjoyed for a long time. As some others have noted, no one seen his character issues. I was shocked when the truth came out. Petrino seemed to be a great organizer and I never suspected he would be carving out a secret life.

The hiring of JLS seemed to be a logical move under the circumstances. The Hogs had a Top 10 ranked team coming back. Many Hog fans, and some on this board, were concerned that JLS might retained after the Hogs had a great season. But, alas, no one anticipated the damage that was done to the attitude of the players and the staff.

The hiring of CBB was considered a “Home Run” by all the media experts. I’m surprised CBB didn’t have more success. But it ain’t working.

The point: All of the hires were good ones at the time they were made. The same thing happens across the country at nearly every school. Sometimes you have to get lucky.

I wouldn’t go that far. People who had seen Petrino’s act at Louisville and Atlanta tried to tell us what he was like. We didn’t listen. We had the two 10 win seasons and the Sugar Bowl under him, so I’m not going to call it a complete disaster, but he sure left behind a dumpster fire.

I think the story of BB’s time at Arkansas is recruiting failures, on defense and the offensive line. He can clearly coach 'em when he has them; you don’t go to three straight Rose Bowls without being able to coach, and he didn’t forget how when he left Madison. But when you don’t have the Jimmys and the Joes, Xs and Os don’t matter. Clearly recruiting is one of the things a head coach has to do, and he didn’t do enough of it. Some is bad luck, some is evaluation, some is failing to coach up what we did get. It certainly appears like he’ll pay for all of that with his job, albeit with a really nice golden parachute.

The fallacy I see so often in coaching searches is “we didn’t hire so and so, somebody else did and he had a great program there.” Example: Jimmy Johnson. He wanted our job in 1977, although he had no head coaching experience; JFB hired Holtz instead, and JJ moved on to Pitt. Then Jimmy was pretty mediocre in his first HC job at Okie Light; his best team there was 8-4. Somehow he got the job at Miami, tapped into the mother lode of recruits and thugs in South Florida, let the thugs run wild, and went 52-9. Would he have gone 52-9 at Arkansas? Absolutely not.