So much for the students have to be on campus

What I have concerns with is, not solely related to as you call it amateurism (which is not a vulgar word or concept, in spite of what some may think) it is a concern with massive change and more so who determines what the change is. As I see it, change will have some combination of at least these three contributors: Sports governing bodies, politicians and lawyers. Sports bureaucracy gave us the modified SEC football schedules and their imprint on any such change is likely small potatoes in comparison to the “problem solving” the other two will do. So it is not all about amateurism, it is concern that a flawed system will be further flawed.

Never have I inferred the pandemic isn’t real or a major problem. What I am saying is that despite the tragic loss of our fellow Americans there are positive signs out there that the scientists and medical community has learned much better how to treat the virus and turn the death rate percentage downward. Also, the unprecedented speed at which we have possible vaccines in final clinical testing phases. What normally takes four or more years may get done within 1 year and in my mind that would be an extremely positive result.
So, don’t paint me as a person that thinks the pandemic is a hoax because I don’t.

You do realize that you’re a member of a message board group that comes with a subscription to a magazine that profits from the university and its athletes. You pay for 24/7 access to the lives, habits, and practices of these athletes. Yet, you criticize the very universities that pay for the facilities, coaches, and scholarships that allow these players to have the ability to showcase their talents, you pay to keep up with, for actually trying to continue and make the necessary revenue to keep these programs going? Let’s be careful with our virtue signaling just a wee bit, because I have a strong suspicion you’re not just interested in the marching band info…

The mental gymnastics necessary to justify keeping student athletes and athletic “faculty” on campus when all other students and faculty have been told to depart are, well, Olympic worthy.

I agree that this puts a nail in the amateur coffin.

“The kids WANT to play football”

Does anybody care if regular students want to stay on campus?

“The athletes are safer on campus than at home.”

Are regular students safer on campus than home?

“We can test them X times/week?”

Is anyone willing to foot the bill to test regular students X times/week?

The list goes on and on. It’s silly and proves yet again that CFB has grown beyond its college roots. It’s state-supported semi-pro football.

The sub comes free with the demgaz too.

I don’t think anyone was necessarily criticizing the universities for doing it. I agree the line between amateurism & professionalism, always a bit fuzzy in college football, is simply become less blurred & more in line with the term “professional.” Doesn’t mean they aren’t student athletes. They’re still required to be enrolled as students, but there’s less & less effort to treat them like other students.

I’ve never thought the decision to play or not play football was an easy one. The dangers are real & I’ve thought too many people downplay those dangers. However, the loss in revenue is so large that we can’t ignore that aspect of things, either. The question is how much risk are we willing to take. We all have different opinions, but I doubt many of us have as much access as the schools have to all the info necessary to make the most reasonable decision.

Unfortunately, there are enough unknowns that whatever looks smartest today might look foolish in December. Big10 & Pac 12 might have been too cautious. Sunbelt & CUSA might be too reckless. Personally, I think the SEC is taking the best approach right now–delaying the decision long enough to get more information. If several teams have outbreaks & some serious illnesses before Sept 26, I think we should cancel. If there are no outbreaks & the teams kept reasonably isolated & safe, then proceed with caution–play until something happens.

1 Like

Well besides missing the forrest through the trees, which I don’t think you did, the point is, it seems hypocritical to me that people have no problem with people profiting from college athletes and their talents as long as it’s not the universities they play for, or at least the athletic department of the schools they play for. It seems it’s okay for regular businesses, magazines, and even the players themselves to profit from their abilities, but not the athletic department because that’s a conflict of interest or a sign that student-athletes aren’t really being cared for. Again, this is a foolish notion because everyone is mutually benefiting from one another. From the DemGaz to the restaurants, hotels, and businesses in a college town to the universities themselves and the athletes themselves everyone is sharing in the profits from college programs. Now, we could have a great conversation about how this current crisis has revealed how much of our economy is build on the backs of these institutions and their players, and I think that would be an incredibly important conversation to have, but reality states that nothing is changing anytime soon.

I agree with much of your thinking, it seems far too much energy on boards and in general discussion is on critiquing yesterday (easy, if I knew yesterday what I know today) or arguing on things far enough in the future where too much is left unknown. Of course it is necessary to have time to pivot, but as simple as the pundits who enjoy placing blame and pointing fingers try to make it, we are dealing in very dynamic and rapidly changing times. It seems that some of the Countries that were pointed out as models used to rail on the problems of the US are now seeing changes. All this said, what looks bleak today can change and what looks great, can as well. Seems like the only easy position in these times is one of sitting in judgement of what somebody should HAVE done.

1 Like

That would be the best scenario for sure. This doesn’t look like it’s going to be the norm however…I totally understand it’s better for students to be face-to-face having taught for 30 years… I expect there to be spikes if the players are going to class but we’ll just have to work through the best we can since I don’t believe they’'re going to quarantine the players and let them do online.

The UNC AD was asked months ago if they could have a football season if students were not on campus. He did not say no, but he said that would be strange indeed. But now not only has UNC said that no students makes no difference as far as football is concerned, but Mack Brown got on Feinbaum and said it is even better for football since no students are around, it’s a better bubble. I agree that having football with no students is strange. I also agree no students makes a better bubble. But saying that is strange, too, makes it looks like regular school is an impediment to the school’s team, like the tail wagging the dog.

2 Likes

Speaking from Chapel Hill, concerning the comment that the NCAA investigation revealed that actually attending classes to get a grade has never been a requirement here, touché!

Actually, depending on your major and level towards graduation, some schools are trying to make it work for certain majors whose attendance is crucial towards getting your degree. Nursing or social work, are examples of majors where “hands on” class experience or group participation in the community are crucial to understanding your future job prospects.

Indeed. Good point. It’s one thing to sit in a history, etc lecture on line. It’s quite another to take a lab class.

Then, there is an education degree, where in the last year, you are supposed to be studying in a high school, junior high or elementary school, as a student teacher. My daughter did that for three semesters at Northeastern State in Tahlequah. It was an important part of her training to be a teacher. I do not know what a student teacher is supposed to do these days. They would work under a mentor teacher in those days. What now?

I would be interested to know how schools handle that. My wife is an APRN. The clinic work is a big part of the program.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.