So is it Beard or Marshall?

Seems to me that as of today, Beard is Plan A and Marshall is Plan B.

So a very good chance, Marshall will be the next head basketball coach for the Hogs.

I had said at the top of the search process that I would like to see a coach with a better resume than Mike to justify his firing. Basically that meant someone with a Final Four experience. The idea was that a coach with FF on his resume can recruit at a level above Mike to bring in the type of recruits needed to contend for SEC and National titles annually.

Well Marshall fits that resume requirement. So, I may be getting my wish, although Marshall is not the one I had in mind. I was thinking more of a coach that had made FF at a P5 school.

If we get either one of those two
:grinning::grinning::+1:t3::+1:t3:

PJ, I’m gonna disagree with you about Marshall from an NCAAT standpoint.

Mike 9 trips to NCAAT in 17 years. Twice past the first weekend. Record 9-9 (SS,EE)

Gregg 14 trips to NCAAT in 21 years. Twice past the first weekend. Record 10-14 (SS,FF)

While he makes the tourney at a better average (67% vs 53%), his average of getting to the second weekend is worse (14% vs 22%). If we are wanting to compete for NC’s, he doesn’t look like the guy to me.

Again, very few check the boxes, he’s not one.

[quote=“bakedhog19741”]

PJ, I’m gonna disagree with you about Marshall from an NCAAT standpoint.

Mike 9 trips to NCAAT in 17 years. Twice past the first weekend. Record 9-9 (SS,EE)

Gregg 14 trips to NCAAT in 21 years. Twice past the first weekend. Record 10-14 (SS,FF)

While he makes the tourney at a better average (67% vs 53%), his average of getting to the second weekend is worse (14% vs 22%). If we are wanting to compete for NC’s, he doesn’t look like the guy to me.

Again, very few check the boxes, he’s not one.

[/quote]All true, but lets dig further.

For seven of Marshall’s trips to the dance, he was at Winthrop. He was a 16 seed 3 times, a 14 seed twice, a 15 seed once, and an 11 seed.

While an 11 seed Winthrop defeated the 6 seed Notre Dame by ten. As a 15 seed they lost to the #2 seed Tennessee by two.

I’m wondering if we are comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges when we are comparing Mike and Gregg’s tournament winning percentages? What would have been a reasonable second round appearance percentage while he was at Winthrop?

By the way Winthrop had never made the tournament before Marshall and has only made it back 3 times in the next 12 years, amassing zero wins. They were a nothing program prior to Marshall and are a nothing program post Marshall.

Bias: Gregg Marshall has been my number one pick and has been that way for years. I have been waiting for the right opportunity to have him as our coach and I am hoping that the time is finally right.

So is the concern more about who we hire or the continued comparing to MA? Seems no matter who is rumored that’s the narrative.

[quote=“hog2009”]

He’s also a bigger winner in general than Mike with many conference titles and conference tournament titles (20 combined) as compared to Mike who’s only won a conference title or conference tournament on 2 occasions - one regular season title at UAB and one conference tournament at Missouri.

It may be Beard, Marshall, or any of a number of others that may or may not prove to an outstanding coach at Arkansas. Our AD is smarter than I am so I will trust his judgement with the realization that even Frank Broyles didn’t always get it right.

What style of basketball could we expect to see from Marshall? At first glance his teams have seemed to be big and rugged which is something that I think it is going to take to win in the SEC. His teams seem to be fundamentally sound but they seem to win based on their talent vs winning based on a great defense.

I am guessing that we will not see a three guard lineup if Marshall becomes the coach as the teams that I have seen have size at the forward and center positions. In contrast if Arkansas had hired Sampson we might have seen a three guard lineup which is what he ran this past season.

Can he recruit will be the big question? I think Beard is able to win with less talent so if Marshall is the man he had better be an excellent recruiter because if you are going to out talent other schools in the SEC that is sorta like running the football against Alabama.

can Marshall recruit if so bring him on

Marshall is not a next level guy. He is a good coach. I’m good with it if that’s all we can get. Gotta have a coach.

I don’t see a moment where everyone gathers around in excitement and giddiness about getting Gregg Marshall. If he’s the guy, hope he finds new life here, and blows up! But he is about what he is. Nothing that blows you away, just a good coach. He’s been a good coach for the Shockers and whatever conference it is they play in, and 10 or 12 years ago he was good at Winthrop. And that conference.
The electricity in the air is overwhelming.

Moving from Witchita to Fayetteville would reinvigorate any man.

Gas how do you know if Marshall is a next level guy??? he has done incredibly well at wichita freaking state!got good enough athletes to come there to be on the national scene.I don’t know if he is or not but I was always impressed how hard his teams played and how he coached and I would surely beleive he could better recruits to come here to play in the SEC .I would be OK with him but we will see.

Back to a comment I made to you last week, I think, I don’t think it necessarily has to be proven past experience; rather, someone who has the characteristics that can achieve the levels you want.
Hiring is somewhat like prospect projection; can you detect upside?

With that in mind, I actually slightly prefer Musselman over Marshall. I see upside and some things with Musselman that I think would fit with us a tad better than Marshall. It’s the same reason I preferred Buzz to Mike when we hired Mike. I saw some things back then that gave me reason to believe he had better upside.

That said, Marshall would be a great hire IMO. In the same vein, we can’t just look at his results literally and match that to Arkansas. For instance, his NCAAT success. He did all of that at a low and mid major team. He hasn’t had the resources and brand to get players like he would at Arkansas. But, matched up against programs with similar resources and brand, he’s dominated. Again, as the hiring manager, you have to project. With more and better resources, can he achieve the level of success we want at Arkansas?

Here’s the comforting thing. With Beard, Marshall and Musselman (who I realize might be out of the picture; we’ll see), they all win at a really high clip. Check. Now, do they have other characteristics that facilitate success at Arkansas? I think so. With Marshall, I need to do a little more research on his recruiting; that’s my only question mark at this point.

Can he recruit and assemble great team of recruiters at high levels of power 5 ball?

And I don’t mind a tough coach and rather prefer it, but read kids have left his program.

Is that just the modern player problem we see, or do kids not want to play for him?

This is a time when we need a great recruiting plan and great recruiting assistants etc.

Following your previous response to me, I did look up Mussleman. I agree with what you had stated about him. He does seem to have better upside than Marshall. I wonder what went wrong with him, if he indeed is no longer in the picture.

He MUST be compared to CMA. Only because of why HY said Mike was fired. When he gave the reasons, he marked a certain set of accomplishments. If he fails to hire someone that is clearly better, then he made a mistake.

Now, he can hire someone that looks much better on paper, and can fail, and he can hire someone that looks much worse, and have tremendous success. As others have said it’s a crap shoot. But if you actually list reasons someone is not getting their job done, you don’t hire someone that appears similar.

I also have an issue with Beard and Musselman (I would place both ahead of Marshall), but at the end of the day, they’ve had 4 (four) years of D1 experience. Can they sustain that?

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

You are correct on conference titles, which is why I specifically said NCAAT. Because, according to many, the issue with Mike was he wasn’t making the 2nd weekend.

There is a very few that check the boxes our AD put out, Marshall doesn’t check them all.

Do you believe it reasonable to expect Sweet 16s at Winthrop and Wichita State at the same clip as Arkansas?

Seeing how they’ve made the tournament 14 times vs 9 for AR during that same time, yes I expect them to make it to the second round more than twice. AR hasn’t even done that.

Again as RazorAg has said this is based on projections, I did that for all the coaches and have it on another thread, he actually doesn’t project for another SS for another six years. What if he’s only here for five?