So how many SEC programs are going to be looking for new coaches?

Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss.

How do we stack up against those? We’re certainly a better job than Ole Miss, but Tennessee?

I wonder if someone doesn’t go after Mullins. Not OM, but us or Tenn? IDK.

I assume all three you mentioned.

And other good jobs around the country perhaps as well in big 12 etc.

Texas Tech is said to be after the SMU coach already for instance.

My only fear is that we are not ready to act immediately after last minute of last game this year, and that we lose out to other programs in the mix.

And end up with our tenth pick instead of first out of gate

I hear you. There are going to be other openings. Ironically, Gus might have bought another year with his beat down on us.

Is Sumlim safe? Who knows. I think it’s unlikely Coach O is gone after one year But who knows.

It’s kind of funny to thing JL has made two hires that, at the time, looked to be homeruns. We know how that went. Maybe an up and comer with Arkansas ties? I like Norvell, but I wonder how much of his success is from things Fuente started.

My first choice would be Frost, but I dont think we can get him.

[quote=“Woopigs”]

I hear you. There are going to be other openings. Ironically, Gus might have bought another year with his beat down on us.

Is Sumlim safe? Who knows. I think it’s unlikely Coach O is gone after one year But who knows.

It’s kind of funny to thing JL has made two hires that, at the time, looked to be homeruns. We know how that went. Maybe an up and comer with Arkansas ties? I like Norvell, but I wonder how much of his success is from things Fuente started.

My first choice would be Frost, but I dont think we can get him.
[/quote]Don’t kid yourself. This game had zero meaning on his future. Only way it would have impacted it would have been if AU lost. AU cares about Bama and UGA going forward.

[quote=“hog2009”]

Zero meaning. Unless he lost. Perfect logic. Thanks for helping me out there.

[quote=“Woopigs”]

heck of it is, he is right. Auburn hates playing second fiddle to Bama and Gus ain’t winning enough against Bama. All the outrage is just a setup for the Bama game.

You have to think Ole Miss will have trouble because of all the stuff hanging over their heads.

Tennessee usually thinks they’re going to get somebody better than they end up getting. I’m worried about this hire Long has done some things that really scared me in the past and we were lucky to dodge some bullets

I think Arkansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss are likely to be in the market. We’ll see what happens with Texas A&M the rest of the way, but I think Kevin Sumlin probably has saved himself there for another year.

More than the SEC, I think it’s important to look at what other major conference jobs are likely to come open. At this point, I think it wouldn’t be surprising to see Nebraska, UCLA, North Carolina and Texas Tech open up. Is this a year in which there is a lot of movement from one Power 5 job to another?

Mizzou.

Odom’s buyout is next to nil.

Some guy on SEC country thinks we should look at Kiffin!

Why are we a better job than OM? (I’m asking). Their state produces a lot of D-1 talent. They have good facilities, tradition and fan support.
IF they get a 2 year bowl ban, YES, they will be a lesser job than us because players can transfer. Otherwise, I’m not following your analysis???

Don’t forget Florida. A lot of talk swirling around McElwain. Some think he might jump back to West Coast, perhaps Oregon State.

Some guy on SEC country thinks we should look at Kiffin!

Arkansas is a better gig than ole miss, they don’t have a spectacular tradition, outside of tailgating. Split the state with MS, who has a great coach. And a 2 year bowl ban is a drop in the bucket to what they are going to get. It’s going to be ugly, I think they will struggle to find a coach and ultimately just retain the interim.

Kiffin will get a job somewhere this year. Hoping it isn’t at UA.

Tenn
Ole Miss

Maybe
Texas A&M
Florida
Hogs.

Long may not pull the trigger.

I think he has to because he doesn’t want to play in a half-full stadium with a $160 million construction project at one end of it.

The narrative on coaching changes has shifted since mid-September when some of these schools were thought to be looking. Auburn and LSU, for example, don’t seem to be in need of a new coach right now. The narrative may shift again.

This is not about seats sold or the expansion, although it is hard for fans to look past that. This is about “the program” and whether the AD thinks the coach can regain control of program development. When Sumlin or Malzahn have been on the hotseat before they were able to grab control of things and right the ship. CBB has a team that looks no more focused than Smile’s team did for the last half of his glorious season as interim coach. The formula is familiar - often, a well-scripted start, hang tough, and then wilt when hit with adversity.

CBB’s salary is 18th in the country, IIRC. $4M/year will attract a lot of coaches you might not expect, but the upside of the program will also curb the enthusiasm of a lot that you might like to be interested. Coaches, big egos and all, will be cautious about jumping into the SEC meat-grinder. Butch Jones and Bret Bielema had impressive resumes prior to their time in the SEC. Grab someone a year too early and they will fail, lacking the experience and connections to put together the type of staff needed to succeed. Grab someone a year too late and they will have lost that high-end fight that is needed to succeed.

UA has to be careful about who might be able to join a HC’s staff the first year. We cannot muddle around for 2-3 years getting the staff right. A lot of NFL names will appear on fan’s wish lists but most will lack connections in the college coaching community to flesh out a staff the first year. Similarly, those connections need to extend to at least a couple of coaches who can smash open recruiting doors in LA and TX where we have made a bit of progress lately. Can’t completely retool our recruiting territory without either elite-level recruiters or an awkward lag time before success is found. Elite-level recruiters - we usually have one, but many schools have several.

It’s not going to be Long’s call.

The most obvious likely ones are Ole Miss, Tenn, us—in that order. After that, I’d say TAMU (despite their improvement, I understand people down there still want Sumlin gone.). Auburn is still a strong possibility. Their win over us didn’t help Gus, but a loss to us would have been fatal. He still has UGA & Alabama to go. Both are likely losses. AU might think that’s enough to oust him. I don’t know if there’s another difficult game left on their schedule, but if they lose five, Gus is gone. This time next year, I think McElwain could be in trouble. Orgeron is safe for now (I think) but if he finishes the year badly…well. Stoops at UK? Hard to know. They started strong, but got the crap beat out of them by MSU. If they finish badlly again, he could be in trouble.