So do they now shutter the doors for the baseball games?

Most all the SEC West teams will be having crowds in the neighborhood of 8-10,000 in the coming weeks, probably this weekend. That’s at least half as big as most all the sessions of the NCAA basketball tournament games. They’ve already announced no one allowed to the basketball games, shouldn’t they also do this for the baseball games? I think this is all an extreme over reaction, but are they going to be consistent for all the sports?

The overreaction is from the people whose feelings are hurt because the NCAA decided to act.

An NCAA subregional assembles eight schools from eight different parts of the country. The baseball crowd in Starkville this weekend is going to be 95% people from eastern Mississippi, where there have been no confirmed cases. If and when there are confirmed cases around Starkville, or Fayetteville or Baton Rouge, then things will change.

Think about this. Yes, most people who are exposed to the virus won’t get sick. But they’ll take the virus home with them. If you went to the subregional in St. Louis next week, brought the virus home, gave it to your 80-year-old Aunt Bessie and she died of it, that would be an entirely preventable death.

The risk is not as large for outdoor events. However, if the virus continues to spread, we will probably see some sort of crowd restrictions

No fans at SEC sporting events on campuses until at least March 30, according to league statement.

Yep. No baseball crowds until at least the end of the month

That’s what I just heard…so slim crowd in Starkville…will be weird!

So no cases of the virus in any of the areas where there will be SEC baseball, so this could be construed as an overreaction. Not a mixed demographic crowd. 95% of the crowd from eastern Mississippi. There will be restaurants and movie theaters closing throughout the country by tomorrow. Going to be like a movie where a virus wipes out the population, instead the fear of the virus wipes out the population.

First known case in Mississippi is in Hattiesburg where I live a man brought it back from Florida.

I’m still much more concerned about my elderly parents catching the flu than I am the coronavirus. Don’t want them to catch either, because both would probably be fatal, I just know (at least the data at this time supports this), the flu is much more likely to get exposed to them.

There hasn’t been anything said about baseball as of yet!

Yes, all SEC sporting events will have the restrictions. From an email sent out by Arkansas:

In conjunction with the Southeastern Conference and its member institutions, the University of Arkansas will host home athletic competitions with restricted attendance from now until at least Monday, March 30 at which time the SEC and its member universities will re-evaluate conditions. Similar restrictions were announced for the 2020 SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament, other SEC Championship events and all on-campus regular season games hosted by an SEC institution through March 30.

Only essential team personnel, limited family members and credentialed media members will be permitted into all scheduled athletic home events at the University of Arkansas and all other SEC campuses beginning Thursday.

All on campus sports will have the same fan restrictions per the SEC office this evening. So, no fans at baseball at least through March 30. Player’s families will have some kind of exemption.

So if you have already purchased tickets to Alabama series, is their any sort of refund?

From the UA website:

Information regarding ticket refunds for Arkansas Razorback home events impacted (Friday, March 13-Monday, March 30, 2020) will be available in the coming days for season ticket holders and fans that have purchased single-game tickets. Refunds for ticketed events beyond March 30 will not be made at this time, pending determination of the status of those events. Fans can contact the Razorback Ticket Center with any questions by calling 479.575.5151 or by emailing raztk@uark.edu.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.