So are we hosting the 2nd round match...

since #4 Seed Texas lost to Virginia Tech? :sunglasses:

Only if North Carolina loses Saturday. Otherwise we’ll play VT in Chapel Hill. And if the Heels did lose we might still get sent to Blacksburg or Lawrence; KU would play UNC if the Heels win.

VT is well below us in the soccer RPI, so we should have a decent chance of advancing to our first Sweet 16 when we play them Thursday. Wherever it will be.

But UNC’s game Saturday is the equivalent of a 1/16 matchup in the basketball tournament. They’re a number one seed playing a team from the MEAC, and we know how those usually end up.

If UNC did lose, KU has the best RPI in the bracket and probably would host.

I knew the host sites got a little convoluted as the tourney progressed, but was (delusionally) hoping that didn’t happen UNTIL the round of 16.

And speaking of Sweet 16s, gotta razz you a little…

I definitely agree we ought to be able to handle the Lady Hokes; and should we, it’d be our SECOND trip to the Sweet 16s. (Remember that incredible run we had back in 2013 … our very first trip to the NCAA Tourney? We were mere PKs away from making the Elite Eight!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, fingers crossed we get some (a lot of) help … and can host another match or two.

You’re correct of course. I remembered the PK loss to Duke but thought it was in the second round. Looking like yet another trip to the Research Triangle, where I will be on Thursday. I’ll definitely have to see if I can fit that into my schedule. Hopefully it’s a little warmer there.

Extended forecast: High 49, low 32 in Chapel Hill on Thursday. A little warmer but not much. I’m thinking we’d have an afternoon game so they could get the after-work crowd for their game, but maybe not.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-women/ … tournament

for women there is a big factor of cost since it is not a revenue sport, probably will greatly effect second round hosting sites. Today has to play out

NCAA pays travel costs for all teams in all of its championship tournaments regardless; that’s a big part of where the money from March Madness goes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/finances/expenses

Lawrence is near Kansas City International. We have XNA. There’s an airport at Roanoke-Blacksburg. And UNC is near Raleigh-Durham. Getting there isn’t going to be a problem. Attendance isn’t going to be much of a factor. KU averaged 600-something fans. VT’s largest home crowd was 683. We averaged 891 including last night.

Turns out that we won’t be playing on campus at UNC if so. They’re remodeling their on-campus stadium, so UNC is playing this season in the Raleigh suburb of Cary, in what will also be the site of the women’s College Cup. So theoretically UNC could win the NC without ever leaving its home field. The stadium in Cary seats 10,000 so its decent sized.

Carolina scored in the 17th minute, leads Howard 1-0.

And scored in the 35th minute, 2-0. Looks like the Hogs and I will both be flying into RDU next week.

It was 3-0 Heels by halftime.

UNC won 4-0. Thursday in Cary, N.C., vs VT, time to be determined.

Cary is site of big time training and College Cup. Nice venue.3rd round brings ghost of Mia Hamm in all probability. Lots of little Mias named for her around here.

Mia Hamm is the most famous North Carolina soccer player, but there have been many great ones there. Anson Dorrance, the coach, is the legend. He’s coached there for 42 years.

My daughter has studied Dorrance. She actually was coached by Dorrance briefly a couple of years.

Sarah was a member of the Arkansas Olympic Development team for four years, basically from ninth grade through her senior year. She never advanced past the state level, but was in many regional camps.

What they do at ODP regional camps is switch coaches. The Arkansas coach for the first three years was Janet Reyfield, the UA coach. She was a national player of the year for Dorrance. Two years she pleaded with Dorrance to switch sides at camp. Janet took the North Carolina team for a couple of days in the week and Dorrance took the Arkansas team.

Dorrance was a bit perplexed with what to do with the Arkansas girls. They were not at the same level as what he was working with on the North Carolina state team (or with his Tar Heel team). He was hard on our girls at first, but then settled in to help them. He did. They all advanced quickly in his methods.

One thing he did was grade them every day in everything they did. I mean in the minute way they warmed up, stretched, everything. Then he posted the grades for everyone to see. Everything he did was a competition. Now, everyone has a chance to win certain aspects, but it calls out the competitive nature to try to win multiple things. And, you didn’t just compete for first place. He ranked you 1-18 for the entire squad in everything. You know he’s watching every detail and you stay focused. What a marvelous concept.

That was 20 years ago, but Sarah hasn’t forgotten what a competitive environment is like. She ordered some of his books to study the concepts on competition a few years ago and began to use them in the class room as a third grade teacher.

So what she did is assign a character (zebra, elephant, tiger, hog, you fill in the blanks) to every kid in her class. Then she had a chart on the wall with the animal. Each day she moved the animal when that person had an experience, good or bad.

Dorrance used the actual names. Sarah did not. But each student knew his animal. It wasn’t shared. And, over the last several years, Sarah has seen huge jumps in performance in the class room. Even the lowest achievers (with all kinds of issues) began to perform higher on tests and academic development. The top achievers began to make big jumps.

The students love the competition and the daily jumps they see on the board of their animal. No one knows the others animals and it has always been kept secret by the kids. But they know where they fit in many areas and who those in the class who have a tough time with certain skills. So they know if they are falling behind, they are getting beat by students with lower skills. That is an extreme motivator. You know sometimes a resource kid just beat you. And, the resource kid knows he’s beating someone. That pumps them and makes everyone try harder.

When Sarah told me where she got it, I wasn’t surprised. She said Anson Dorrance was a marvelous coach and demanding. There were some good days with Anson. He worked hard to make Sarah better. Sarah always played midfield with her club and high school team, but Anson made her a sweeper at ODP camp and predicted (along with Janet Reyfield) that she would be a back end player in college. That’s exactly where her college coach put her for her final three years at Northeastern State (in Tahlequah). It was perfect for her. Anson was one of the first to see that in Sarah, although one coach put her at stopper (one position forward from the sweeper) in a defensive position. Anson said you want skill and speed in the back end more than the front end. You build from the back.

Back to establishing competition in the class room, Sarah has been in schools that were at the bottom of the rankings. She convinced the other third grade teachers to use the same system. They did. The third grade classes in those two schools – she changed schools last year – made big jumps well above the levels predicted because they were in lower economic settings. One school jumped off the list as under performers strictly on the jump made in two consecutive years in the third and fourth grade. These students had tested low as second graders.

Sarah isn’t a class room teacher now. She was promoted to an administrative post, math facilitator. Basically, she coaches the teachers at an elementary school in Rogers. Most of the teachers in this school have borrowed her idea and it’s bouncing around among teachers at other schools in the district. Sarah has been asked to speak at several conferences.

She is a VERY good math teacher. She has been studied in detail by a Masters program at the University of Texas. They came to Rogers and filmed her teaching math. They actually paid her to work in their system as they worked on how to teach teachers. Sarah and I got a kick out of that. She holds my beliefs on the University of Texas athletic teams. She said she is OK helping them, since they pay well.

This last story has to be told again and again. Sarah went to school at Rogers High. She and Becca, our youngest, both were picked out of study hall to help in the principals office by Loyd Phillips, the great UA defensive tackle who won the Outland Trophy.

Loyd loved their grandfather and he and I have become friends, too. Loyd always asked me to help with the senior prom, be a chaperone. He said, “You just come to the dances. You watch. If you don’t like something, tell me. I’ll get it fixed.” Boy, did he ever. Those kids in Rogers loved Loyd, but they were also scared of him. He could straighten out a kid out of line in 2-3 seconds.

So in Sarah’s junior year she was taking official visits to schools recruiting her for soccer. You got so many excused absences for official visits, but you had to fill out paperwork. That paperwork had to be signed by Loyd.

Sarah took several without getting out any days. We’d leave last period on Friday and get back on Sunday.

But there was a showcase camp in Austin hosted by the University of Texas and St. Mary’s. There were about 50 club teams and probably 250 college coaches. It was a big deal and our club team, The Comets, went to it. There were going to be two days of school missed. The high school coach at Rogers told Sarah to put it down as an official visit.

So that’s what she did. She filled out the paperwork. Where it said school, she put University of Texas. The showcase was on the UT campus (along with St. Mary’s), but it wasn’t an official visit to Texas.

Loyd called Sarah to his office, frustrated. He said, “Sarah, does your grandfather know you are visiting the University of Texas? I do not think he would approve. I won’t sign it until you ask him.” She began to cry because she was going to have to explain the half truth of the whole deal. Loyd smiled and said, “Oh, I like this a lot. Texas is going to help you play some place else? That’s about the only thing good I’ve ever heard come out of that place. Go do it.”

Dorrance has won 22 national championships at UNC. TWENTY-TWO. He’s not gonna match John McDonnell, but pretty good for a sport where you can only win one per year.

I’ll be there in Cary Friday afternoon. Won’t get to stick around for the UNC-Kansas match, or the Sunday Sweet 16 game which we will hope is Hogs vs. Heels or Hawks. It’s the H bracket actually; VT is, of course, the Hokies.

North Carolina is good and will be tough in that stadium, but Arkansas is just as talented. Just wish it was going to be a neutral site. Now, that’s not saying the Razorbacks get past Virginia Tech, but I wouldn’t bet against them in either or the next two rounds.